Not open for further replies.

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
what does it take to be a wesleyan?

i've gone to wesleyan church all my life that i can remember, but i couldn't tell you anything about wesleyan doctrine -- that wasn't taught, or emphasized, or maybe it seems so natural to me that i can't distinguish.

and i really find myself different than other denominations, more methodical than some, but less orthodox than others, so i don't feel comfortable elsewhere. but i really don't know what really links me to other wesleyans beyond that.

overnight

overnight of the order
May 8, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
✟15,547.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
vibrant said:
what does it take to be a wesleyan?

i've gone to wesleyan church all my life that i can remember, but i couldn't tell you anything about wesleyan doctrine -- that wasn't taught, or emphasized, or maybe it seems so natural to me that i can't distinguish.

and i really find myself different than other denominations, more methodical than some, but less orthodox than others, so i don't feel comfortable elsewhere. but i really don't know what really links me to other wesleyans beyond that.
The greatest thing about being in a wesleyan tradition church especially the UMC is that all it takes is a beilive in Christ. You do not have to ascribe to any special creeds (ie once saved always saved) however, you are free to believe that if you wish. Mostly if you confess of your sins, turn from evil, and have faith in Jesus you can be a wesleyan. I siggest if you have a UMC or Naz church in your area go and talk to the pastor about what it means to be a Wesleyan.

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
aw, thanks for the responses!

i spent some time reading the Wesleyan consititution, which i located on the "our beliefs" section of wesleyan.org (the official website of the Wesleyan Church). 13 pages of articles of religion, membership commitments, elementary principles, and special directions, but well-worth it.

hopefully you won't mind me sharing with you some thoughts i have about it...

it is refreshing and relaxing to see the basic tenets/articles (ex. trinity, supremacy of Word, atonement, sanctification) laid out so unhesitatingly, unapologetically, and clearly.

there are some surprizes as it actually asks for abstinence (not moderation) on certain things that we deem socially acceptable in general, but the reasons behind them gives me something to think about -- and that's where the major surprize came: it has humility about it. while having specific expectations, it seems to be able to put itself in context and realize that "the religion of Christ rises infinitely higher and lies infinitely deeper than all these." (chapter v.b.420). to use an analogy, what they expect, instruct, are their (our) version of the fruits of the Spirit-filled life, not saving works in and of themselves -- i.e. you don't need them to be saved, but once you are, you can't help but want to do them, and it seems to endeavour to not lose sight of that order. moreover, "it is hoped that our people will earnestly seek the aid of the Spirit in cultivating a sensitivity to evil which transcends the mere letter of the law" (article III, 260) -- how sweet is that? it recalls so many verses, and from it, the constitution just kind of falls into step!

that's not to say i'm still not pondering over stuff... but it speaks to me.

:) :bow:

Reactions: wonder111
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.