Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Technically each person coming for confirmation should have a sponsor. Ideally it would be their godparents from their baptism, but, well... in real life that's often not the case. The idea is that the sponsor is someone who would have been a support for the person preparing for confirmation, that they would have prayed with and for them, that they would have mentored them in the faith, that sort of thing. In the confirmation service as I know it, the sponsors present the candidates to the bishop.

But sometimes they just don't have that relationship with anyone, in which case, as I said, I stand in as their sponsor and present them to the bishop.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟436,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Can someone explain this sponsorship thing to me? I have never experienced such a thing. How common is this as a requirement? Is is at the Bishops' discretion? Rector's? Congregational custom?
The only thing the BCP 1979 requires is one or more people to present the candidates. In many places (including where I am) this has grown into the custom of each confirmand having a sponsor. This person is supposed to develop a relationship with the candidate, participate in the presentation, and stand with them as they are confirmed. There has never been any guidance from the bishop on the matter. So I suppose it's congregational custom based on local tradition that the rector (which is me) hasn't vetoed.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IN the Episcopal Church, at least in the USA a sponsor is an adult member who openly sponsors a confirmation candidate by publicly supporting and endorsing them. SO to enroll in confirmation class, I was told by this priest, I had to first find a sponsor. And being new in town, unknown, I knew no one to approach about that .

Now in college, my roommate and I started attending the Episcopal church off campus almost every Sunday. But as students there as no time to try to seek confirmation. After college, I moved away. SO I had hoped to continue that same involvement but found that the priest of that church was not particularly helpful, and it was the only Episcopal church in the area. He also told me that a person from a Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian or other Episcopal church can be accepted by transfer as a member, but for anyone else to become a member, they had to go through confirmation class, which to me was a giant brick wall with no way through, over or around.

Later in life, in a another state, I just started attending the Episcopal church and told a few people "Yeah I just moved here from out of state...." There was no questioning about my background, people seemed to not be too concerned. It was not like at say a Baptist church, or worst of all, a Bible church, where everyone wants to quiz a newbie about everything that they think and believe (if not to screen potential members, but to at least provoke an argument). Now I recently moved in the past two years from a very small town to a larger town near a big city, almost a suburb, so finding a nearby high church was easy.

I had submitted a membership card for the new directory, but when it came out, I was not in it.

Oddly enough, a lady there who did not seem to know my name came up after the service on week with another lady and referred to me "As the parishioner who donated the money for the charity event" the other lady thanked me for my generosity (it was not that much really I thought) but the fact that she used the term "parishioner" showed that she assumed by my frequent presence and donations to charitable outreaches that I must be a member I was also, for the longest time, on the Email list for one of the charitable committees but have not heard from anyone there in weeks either. SO I am not sure what is going on. Not that it matters, there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of charitable agencies that are starving for money and help. I particularly like what is happening at this church.

SO As I thought about it, the membership thing is no big deal. I have avoided membership for decades, I thought it would be OK to have my name on the membership list of this church, but in the end, does it really matter? no it does not. The work, the money, the charitable contributions will happen with or without my name on the list.

I wish I had someone like Paidiske in my spiritual life growing up. At least I am thankful and grateful that I met her on here.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only thing the BCP 1979 requires is one or more people to present the candidates. In many places (including where I am) this has grown into the custom of each confirmand having a sponsor. This person is supposed to develop a relationship with the candidate, participate in the presentation, and stand with them as they are confirmed. There has never been any guidance from the bishop on the matter. So I suppose it's congregational custom based on local tradition that the rector (which is me) hasn't vetoed.
I cannot recall if the Rector formally presented us as candidates to the Bishop, but I now reckon he must have? If so, it made no impression on me. But there were no other sponsors standing with us confirmands during confirmation. It was not our custom in the largest parish in the diocese. I have moved now to a different diocese. I'll pay attention at the next confirmation to see local practice.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟349,818.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I haven't been to a ton of confirmations, and the ones I have were diocesan events, not in the parish. In those the presenter was the Rector maybe with the youth person if the parish had one (I was confirmed as an adult, but that's not very common is my understanding)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In at least some dioceses, there seems to be a difference between people baptized in the Episcopal/Anglican church, and people coming from other denominations. For people baptized in an Episcopal church, membership is as Deegie said, with confirmation not being required for membership. But my experience in the dioceses of North Carolina and New Jersey has been that people coming from other denominations were confirmed or received. Perhaps this depends on the local bishop?

(This comes up frequently, because in my area of the country, the Episcopal Church seems to be a sanctuary for Christians coming from other denominations. In North Carolina, roughly half our members were former Evangelical Protestants. In New Jersey, they're former Catholics. In both places, cradle Episcopalians are in the minority.)

That was a barrier for me, one among several... I was baptized and confirmed in the Methodist church, but down here in Central Florida's Episcopal diocese, they wanted me to be confirmed by their bishop.

Lutherans (ELCA) do not require those who have undergone confirmation, to undergo confirmation again, so when I joined the ELCA, I was just received on confession of faith.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That was a barrier for me, one among several... I was baptized and confirmed in the Methodist church, but down here in Central Florida's Episcopal diocese, they wanted me to be confirmed by their bishop.

I came to the Episcopal Church by way of the United Methodist Church. I also was confirmed by my Episcopal Bishop. I welcomed it as a statement of a new beginning, a commitment to a new body of Christ, and a sign that I wasn't UMC anymore. I did not see confirmation as a barrier, but had they asked me to be baptized again as some denominations require, that would have been a stopper for me. I would view it to be a renunciation of my Christian walk up to that point. Plus, I had been baptized by my dad who was a UMC pastor, so there is that. Then there is that thing about "one baptism for the remission of sins." I view baptism as the entrance into Christianity and confirmation as the entrance into the Episcopal Church.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
@Paidiske Forgive my ignorance, but are people only confirmed in the Anglican Communion, at least in Australia where you are, when they are 18+? Is confirmation considered an essential sacrament or rite? I'm still learning about Anglicanism so bear with me.

(Side note: Not to ramble on, but I was confirmed in the RCC when I was 16, and my niece was confirmed when she was 12 (!!) )

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Paidiske Forgive my ignorance, but are people only confirmed in the Anglican Communion, at least in Australia where you are, when they are 18+?
No; historically it tended to be something you did at about age 12 or so. There's no hard and fast rule.
Is confirmation considered an essential sacrament or rite?
It's not a sacrament. I wouldn't say it's considered essential, but it's considered normative, that someone who has been baptised as an infant should come to publicly claim that faith as their own.

I was 28 when I was confirmed, because I hadn't been before and the church made it clear that they wouldn't ordain me without it! But I had been baptised as an adult.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,825.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No; historically it tended to be something you did at about age 12 or so. There's no hard and fast rule.

It's not a sacrament. I wouldn't say it's considered essential, but it's considered normative, that someone who has been baptised as an infant should come to publicly claim that faith as their own.

I was 28 when I was confirmed, because I hadn't been before and the church made it clear that they wouldn't ordain me without it! But I had been baptised as an adult.
Thank you for your answer! :)

God bless

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Priest here at the confirmation class (all adults) said that we will have 22 adults and teenagers to be confirmed or received by the bishop.

In regard to sponsors, all youth (12-17 year olds) will have one or more sponsors, either parents, godparents...in fact as their class meets separately from ours, they include the sponsors regularly
In our class we have several married couples, and several lifetime confirmants who are just taking the class as a refresher, or to gt out of the house one night a week. Adult sponsors will be limited to spouses pretty much, in which one spouse is already a confirmed member and the other is not.

The Priest reviewed the BCP Confirmation service with us, and all it says is that one person (the priest, I assume) will say to the Bishop "I present these people for confirmation"

As for beliefs, the Nicene Creed pretty much sums up the basis of all of it.

Upvote 0

Sunflower39

Anglican
Aug 23, 2023
UK
✟23,644.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was confirmed in my Anglo-Catholic church on Sunday. I needed to have a sponsor to ‘present’ me to the bishop. As I have no family in the area as I recently moved, I asked one of clergy and he was happy to do it.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It went well

The Priest presented all of us for confirmation. The kids went first, accompanied by parents grandparents relatives Then the adults accompanied by spouses, family Then there was me

We each got a certificate which was nice and otherwise, it was a nice service to cement my involvement in the Episcopal church , something I have always wanted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums