Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. I'm quite familiar with Anglican theology, but I have never been a member of an Anglican church. What, exactly, are members (not presbyters or bishops) required to believe to be in good standing? Is it just the Creeds? What about the 39 Articles? I know Anglicanism is a big tent, and I know that in the Episcopal Church the guidelines would be much more lax. I'm more interested in the ACNA and the continuing side of the Anglican movement. Thank you!

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the Episcopal Church, what we affirm at baptism (and confirmation, and reception) is our Baptismal Covenant and the Apostles' Creed.

As I understand it, some continuing Anglicans want to move in a more confessional direction. The continuing Anglicans here can describe what form this has taken in their own communities.

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my last Episcopal church membership per se was different than being confirmed. I was considered a voting member of the parish by virtue of my attendance, giving, and participation long before I went through confirmation. I didn't have to agree to anything to be a member. In fact they considered me a member with voting status before I knew it. I found out I was a "member" when asked why I had not voted at the Annual Meeting of the parish. When I was confirmed a couple of years later, my experience was as stated by PloverWing in post #2.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and affirm your intent to follow Christ, with positive answer to these questions:

Do you reaffirm your renunciation of evil?
Do you renew your commitment to Jesus Christ?

Will you continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers?
Will you persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?
Will you proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ?
Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?
Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

If you have already been baptized, then you would affirm these things in the presence of a bishop, and you would be Confirmed or Received into the Episcopal Church by that bishop.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟573,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In the Episcopal Church, what we affirm at baptism (and confirmation, and reception) is our Baptismal Covenant and the Apostles' Creed.

As I understand it, some continuing Anglicans want to move in a more confessional direction. The continuing Anglicans here can describe what form this has taken in their own communities.
ACNA is high on confessionalism right now. The Continuing churches have been mostly averse to it. There are Continuers who would probably affirm the Baltimore catechism. The UECNA flirts with the Westminster Confession. But no Continuing church has actually adopted any of these as standards.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Given my experience as recorded above, I am interested in others' experience as to whether membership is different than confirmation in your dioceses or parishes? Does one have to be confirmed to be considered a member in your place, or can one be a voting member without confirmation? Truthfully, I found it quite confusing and out of my realm of experience to be considered a member somewhere without a letter of transfer or confirmation while I was still a member of my former church. The loose nature of it surprised me.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cannot speak outside of my own experience.

I have long rejected official "Membership" until I was handed a card (along with everyone else) which asked for info to start an online membership directory. Now so far, it has not yet gone online, so it remains to be seen if I will actually be on it. (no big deal to me either way) On the other hand , I have been recruited to be a part of the outreach committee, which involves helping with everything from the daily homeless feeding ministry to special events. And this, when asked, I will gladly do.
That being said, IF I find my name on the membership list, then showing up regularly, donating money and helping when needed is the ONLY requirement.

I have never been "Confirmed." My baptism was in a different denomination. I was even "re-baptized" in a different church during my college days so technically I have been baptized twice. When I was younger, I sought confirmation in the Episcopal church but was blown off by the priest, With Whom I spoke, so I never bothered, It was not then, nor now, worth the hassle.

I have no plans to ever be "confirmed" but have plans to continue helping as needed. Membership does not matter. I have not been a member of a church in many years and done fine. Membership is Overrated.

However, I love the services, the Eucharist, especially the high church tradition, and above all else, that the people never try to quiz me on what I believe or what I want form a church.....that is the best part. To sit down for coffee after a service and not be asked about my beliefs That is awesome.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟436,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Given my experience as recorded above, I am interested in others' experience as to whether membership is different than confirmation in your dioceses or parishes? Does one have to be confirmed to be considered a member in your place, or can one be a voting member without confirmation? Truthfully, I found it quite confusing and out of my realm of experience to be considered a member somewhere without a letter of transfer or confirmation while I was still a member of my former church. The loose nature of it surprised me.
So for TEC there are a few official tiers of membership in a local church, according to the national canons.

1. Anyone who has been baptized and whose baptism is recorded in the church is a member. (This could come either from being baptized in that church or having it transferred from elsewhere.)

2. If said person is 16 or over, they are an adult member.

3. If a member has received Communion three or more times in the past year, they are a communicant.

4. A communicant who has, for the past year, "been faithful in corporate worship, unless for good cause prevented, and...faithful in working, praying, and giving for the spread of the Kingdom of God" is a communicant in good standing. That is open a bit to interpretation, but I take it as showing up at least occasionally and giving something financially.

Generally the only time that Confirmation is required is when seeking ordination or, in some dioceses, for vestry. Each diocese should also have a canon regarding which members are eligible to vote in parish matters. In mine, for example, they must be at least 16, "recognized as members of the parish", and have contributed financially in the past six months. Again, no confirmation required.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Note that I am an Anglican (in communion with Canterbury) in Australia, so my experience probably doesn't generalise everywhere.

In the two dioceses I've been in, one must be baptised to be a member, but not confirmed. The only thing I know confirmation to be a hard requirement for is ordination.

In order to become a member of a parish in this diocese, one must sign a declaration saying:
"I declare that:
- I am not less than eighteen years old
- I have been baptised
- I am a communicant member of the Anglican Church
- I am not on the electoral roll of another Anglican parish, and
- I am a regular worshipper in this parish."

In my former diocese it was similar, although I recall a lack of clarity about the need for those coming from other denominations to be episcopally received as Anglicans before they can become members of the parish. Even in the diocese where I am now, practice has not always matched what the canons say.
-

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In at least some dioceses, there seems to be a difference between people baptized in the Episcopal/Anglican church, and people coming from other denominations. For people baptized in an Episcopal church, membership is as Deegie said, with confirmation not being required for membership. But my experience in the dioceses of North Carolina and New Jersey has been that people coming from other denominations were confirmed or received. Perhaps this depends on the local bishop?

(This comes up frequently, because in my area of the country, the Episcopal Church seems to be a sanctuary for Christians coming from other denominations. In North Carolina, roughly half our members were former Evangelical Protestants. In New Jersey, they're former Catholics. In both places, cradle Episcopalians are in the minority.)

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟573,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Perhaps this depends on the local bishop?
I think this is half of the picture. Some bishops take confirmation much more seriously than others. In Continuing churches, you'll tend to run into the additional hurdle of having a confirmation by a bishop with valid apostolic succession, rather than confirmation as it's practiced in Lutheran or Reformed churches.

Then there is the parish priest and what the parish 'has always done' (which usually goes back no further historically than the last two priests.) Some priests are terrified to suggest that an adult might benefit from attending confirmation class. Some haven't read the canons since they were preparing for the ordination exams and don't have a clue what the discipline of the church is.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not yet been approached to sign anything. All I have been asked was to fill out a form to submit my info for the online directory I was asked to sing my name and Email to volunteer to help with decorating and events.

No one at this church has ever asked me or approached me about what I believe. No one has ever discussed belief or religious issues with me. And I like that.

I like that my offers to help with the homeless ministry are appreciated. We feed the homeless daily by passing food outside of the kitchen to the homeless. We feed 30 people daily on average because people deserve to have their needs met.

As for what, if anything, Episcopalians are "required" to believe, other than reciting the Nicene Creed every week, I cannot pinpoint anything.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE The Church directory was released and I am NOT in it. I am on the EMail list for one of the committees, and plan to continue my support and work there for as long as I am able.
Looks like I dodged the "membership bullet" again.

And honestly, the more I thought about it, seriously thought about it, I do not want to be a member of any church. I thought for a short time that I did, but on further reflection, "membership" is not right for me.

Plus, I never did confirmation and after all these years of attending the Episcopal church, I don't think I would if offered. (which I know that I would not be, so no issue there.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Plus, I never did confirmation and after all these years of attending the Episcopal church, I don't think I would if offered. (which I know that I would not be, so no issue there.)
Confirmation classes can be interesting and educational even if one decides not to be confirmed. In my confirmation class, there were both those who decided not to go on and be confirmed and also current confirmed members looking for a refresher of sorts, I suppose.

I will add that in my church one had to ask to join the confirmation class and were not going to be asked if they didn't show interest. I do not know how universal that is; it may have been an idiosyncrasy of our Rector.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will add that in my church one had to ask to join the confirmation class and were not going to be asked if they didn't show interest. I do not know how universal that is; it may have been an idiosyncrasy of our Rector.
I asked long long (decades) ago
The Rector of that church kind of blew me off, asked if I had a sponsor, and being new to the area, knew no one.....He said that it would be very difficult for me to get in if I did not have a sponsor . He was very unhelpful when I wanted to do confirmation classes.

I walked away disappointed, but also with the realization that I was probably better off without it Now, I no longer wish to do it.

I had found , up until then , that church membership often brought more problems than benefits. Decades later, I have realized that membership is never worth the hassle.

There are two nearby churches of which I participate. They are different in belief and teaching, but very similar in charity and community works
I told the pastor at one that I do not give a rodent's rectum what someone believes, but I do care whether someone has food on the table, clothes to wear, or a safe place to sleep at night. and if I can affect any one of those, then it is MY belief and MY duty to do so. If for example. kids do not have food to eat and go to bed hungry, well THAT I do care about.

Attending some class or Sunday morning meeting is unimportant by comparison when there are humans that could be helped and by which I do have the ways and means to do so.
I believe that both Jesus and Buddha were Spot on in regard to possessions, non materialism and altruism. I mean how much wealth do we need to hoard when there are starving children in this world that we should and can help. That is much more important than membership in some group or attending some class.

All about priorities here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Rector of that church kind of blew me off, asked if I had a sponsor, and being new to the area, knew no one.....He said that it would be very difficult for me to get in if I did not have a sponsor . He was very unhelpful when I wanted to do confirmation classes.

Oh my. I have never heard of such a thing. Having a sponsor was not a thing at the church of my confirmation. I understand how that would be frustrating.

Upvote 0