a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is this forum restricted to those considered to be "church fathers" by the OO, EO and CC?
The standard definition of patristics is the study of the lives and writings of the early church fathers. I guess we should define what we means by "early"? Probably should include the writings of the people who were commonly held to be doctrinally sound before the petty human distinctions in faith expressions became evident, so probably I would think a rough date would be any time before the first millenium.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The standard definition of patristics is the study of the lives and writings of the early church fathers. I guess we should define what we means by "early"? Probably should include the writings of the people who were commonly held to be doctrinally sound

By who or what?

I would think a rough date would be any time before the first millenium.

So, all authors prior to the year 1000? Or authors recognized as sound by the EO, OO and CC?

The first 1000 years is the meaning of "earth fathers?"

Other questions (and they are only questions):

Is it the intention of the Theology team for the threads here to be a GENERAL and GENERIC discussion of authors prior to 1054 - not specific to any topic?

Will all threads which are substantially about what some Christian wrote something prior to 1054 be moved to here - even if it's about Mary or sin or the church or some other topic in some other forum? Will all threads that regard these authors prior to 1054 as authoritative be sent here - since the issue rests on them, even if the topic to which they are being referenced is say the divinity of Christ and thus appropriate to another forum?

I'm just unclear what is the function/purpose of this forum to Team Theology?

Thank you.

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'll get a Supervisor to answer your questions. Its above my paygrade.

LOL

I'm just wondering what the intent is here, for just a GENERAL discussion of Patristics - the role and authority of Christian authors, who is and is not an ECF, that sort of thing. OR is this is where issues of what Christian authors said and what they meant will be made.

I'm just trying to understand what the Team has in mind for this forum.

Thank you!

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
LOL

I'm just wondering what the intent is here, for just a GENERAL discussion of Patristics - the role and authority of Christian authors, who is and is not an ECF, that sort of thing. OR is this is where issues of what Christian authors said and what they meant will be made.

I'm just trying to understand what the Team has in mind for this forum.

Thank you!

Pax!

- Josiah
The request was made to establish a Patristics forum. That request was honored. We are still working out the details. As soon as I have a better idea of what we will use this forum for, we will develop and post guidance in the form of a "sticky".

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Monachos has the most extensive list that I've seen - both Eastern and Western...however it extends far into the post Nicene era. Patristic study, as AVO noted, generally ends around 800 AD.

I don't really see this forum as a discussion for Aquinas, Luther, Rick Warren etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Monachos has the most extensive list that I've seen - both Eastern and Western...however it extends far into the post Nicene era. Patristic study, as AVO noted, generally ends around 800 AD.

I don't really see this forum as a discussion for Aquinas, Luther, Rick Warren etc.
....Benny Hinn.....:doh:

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I looks like this thread is going to be a discussion between the three of us....

CJ - I'd be interested to hear what you have to say. Frankly, I wouldn't mind input from all sides as the guidelines are somewhat non-existent at the moment.

My real desire is that this forum becomes more of a "serious" forum than some of the other Theology forums.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think one of the contributing factors to the low turnout here is the Lenten season, in which many Orthodox members and staff have opted to sit out and reflect on their relationship with Christ without the constant bickering that happens here.

I know eoe, oblio, and NewtoLife are EO posters who are really into patristics.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

I'm glad staff is discussing all this, and I look forward to the clarifications that I'm sure are on their way.

Of course, it makes a HUGE difference whether this forum is for a GENERAL discussion of Patristics - the role and authority of Christian authors, who is and is not an ECF, etc., or if it is where issues of what Christian authors said and what they meant will be made. Those are very different things.

And, of course, who is and is not an "Early Church Father" is pretty subjective, and it's often limited to the "Fathers" of just 3 denominations - the EO, OO and CC - but it's not the only one in Theology that's rather denominationally specific. It could end up being a discussion among Catholics and Orthodox Christians, and that's fine if that's what is intended.

I'm glad the forum is here and look forward to reading the guidelines and purposes when that's all worked out.

Thanks!!!

- Josiah

PS My study of Patristics comes in part from Dr. William A. Jurgens, Professor of Patristics at St. Mary's Seminary in Cleveland, Ohio, in the book, "The Faith of the Early Fathers" and he discusses nothing past AD 400. Another book I read, "The Apostolic Fathers" is much bigger but again I note nothing past 500. But I realize the term "Patristics" is extremely broad and can mean almost anything.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm glad staff is discussing all this, and I look forward to the clarifications that I'm sure are on their way.

Of course, it makes a HUGE difference whether this forum is for a GENERAL discussion of Patristics - the role and authority of Christian authors, who is and is not an ECF, etc., or if it is where issues of what Christian authors said and what they meant will be made. Those are very different things.

And, of course, who is and is not an "Early Church Father" is pretty subjective, and it's often limited to the "Fathers" of just 3 denominations - the EO, OO and CC - but it's not the only one in Theology that's rather denominationally specific. It could end up being a discussion among Catholics and Orthodox Christians, and that's fine if that's what is intended.

I'm glad the forum is here and look forward to reading the guidelines and purposes when that's all worked out.

Thanks!!!

- Josiah

PS My study of Patristics comes in part from Dr. William A. Jurgens, Professor of Patristics at St. Mary's Seminary in Cleveland, Ohio, in the book, "The Faith of the Early Fathers" and he discusses nothing past AD 400. Another book I read, "The Apostolic Fathers" is much bigger but again I note nothing past 500. But I realize the term "Patristics" is extremely broad and can mean almost anything.
Can you tell us what theologically orthodox "denominations" existed before the 2nd Ecumenical Council of Nicea?

There are some authors who study nothing but the ante-nicean period, but the 2nd EC of Nicea is the "generally" accepted ending point for the ECFs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Can you tell us what theologically orthodox "denominations" existed before the 2nd Ecumenical Council of Nicea?

There are some authors who study nothing but the ante-nicean period, but the 2nd EC of Nicea is the "generally" accepted ending point for the ECFs.

Sorry, I do NOT mean to be intrude; I'm NOT a member of the Theology Team and none of these decisions are mine. I'm just a poster asking about this forum.

As a poster, I have an interest in this topic and I'm curious what's invisioned and how this interrelates with the other forums in Theology. I just asked for some clarifications, and you assured me that that's on it's way and that my questions would be answered. That's more than good enough for me! IF I still have questions after those answers and clarifications are given, I'll ask as I'm sure you will welcome.

The Theology Team does GREAT work - and I'm sure they will in this regard, too. Thanks for all you are doing! I look forward to the clarifications that are on their way!

Thanks!

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry, I do NOT mean to be intruding. I'm NOT a member of the Theology Team and none of these decisions are mine.

I'm just a poster in the theology forums, and I have an interest in this topic and I'm curious what's invisioned and how this interrelates with the other forums in Theology. I just asked for some clarifications, and you assured me that that's on it's way and that my questions would be answered. That's more than good enough for me! IF I still have questions after those answers and clarifications are given, I'll ask as I'm sure you will welcome.

The Theology Team does GREAT work - and I'm sure they will in this regard, too. Thanks for all you are doing! I look forward to the clarifications that are on their way!

Thanks!

Pax!

- Josiah
You're not intruding. Your input is valuable and important.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.