United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
JADVirginia said:
Yes, you may be right, and I recognize that the short hand of L or C is convenient.

Let me ask why we need to even have descriptions, or if we have them, why they need to be opposites? Maybe they see themselves as "Traditional." Perhaps we should look to phrases from the ELCA website for clues about our own description. For example, right at the top of the site,it says, "Living in God's Amazing Grace." So how about describing us as "Lutherans Living in God's Amazing Grace, welcoming all."

I like that, but then what would the others say if we were to have that? You see, while I have a lot of personal opinions on things that they say, I can't, as knowing the rules from having to be a mod, really put into the whole "change the name to something like this" without having them being offended in some way or the other.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

PuppyforChrist

Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Lutherrunner said:
Well, now that we have our own room, I might just visit a bit......have the last couple of months been kind of tense?

A little bit I guess.

Let me put it this way.. I think the ELCA room is the only place in TCCL where I feel safe to post. :sigh:

Upvote 0

PuppyforChrist

Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't see why we can't name the sub forums. I think it's a good idea. :)

Perhaps though, to be fair, maybe we should just come up with our own ideas for THIS forum. And not the other one. Let the other members come up with their own name for the other sub. I actually have one idea that could work for both, but I'm not sure.

See, what if we picked a name for the sub that was the title of a Lutheran hymn? Then for the description of the forum, we could quote some parts of the hymn into the description, and that could be like our theme of the forum.

For example: (I'm just making one up off the top of my head.)

"Shepherd Me O God" - Forum name

Forum description - "Shepherd Me O God, beyond my wants, beyond my fears, from death into life... God is my Shepherd, I shall not live in want..."

And I can't remember the rest of the hymn. But that's a part of the beginning. :D

But do you guys get what I'm saying? The description could tie into a little theme for the forum. It could represent peace, living a Godly life, or it could just represent something in the Bible. Like in this case, a psalm.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm hoping that if we do rename it that the word "liberal" can be taken out of the title...I really don't view myself as a Lib...If they want to be "Confessional" that's fine...I suppose "We're right and your not" Lutherans would be out of the question?...

I'm kidding...just kidding...put out the fire and lose the rope I didn't mean it...

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DanHead said:
You may not be liberal Redneck, but the ELCA as a whole certianly is.

I can kind of agree with that...can we agree with "more liberal than most"or something like that...ya'll don't go to Church with the people I go to Church with...some of those folks don't believe in any new ideas...fire...the printing press...the wheel...that sort of thing...they make the LC-MS people who I know here in this area look like flaming libs...it's really funny to read some of the stuff on this site about who is Liberal or Conservative and then go to Church or visit friends who go to St. John's LC-MS...it's TOTALLY backwards...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
RedneckLutheran said:
I'm hoping that if we do rename it that the word "liberal" can be taken out of the title...I really don't view myself as a Lib...If they want to be "Confessional" that's fine...I suppose "We're right and your not" Lutherans would be out of the question?...

I'm kidding...just kidding...put out the fire and lose the rope I didn't mean it...

Redneck, I seem to recall a "I don't think I am wrong" confession from a different thread...which side are you on anyway? ;)

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PuppyforChrist said:
I don't see why we can't name the sub forums. I think it's a good idea. :)

Perhaps though, to be fair, maybe we should just come up with our own ideas for THIS forum. And not the other one. Let the other members come up with their own name for the other sub. I actually have one idea that could work for both, but I'm not sure.

See, what if we picked a name for the sub that was the title of a Lutheran hymn? Then for the description of the forum, we could quote some parts of the hymn into the description, and that could be like our theme of the forum.

For example: (I'm just making one up off the top of my head.)

"Shepherd Me O God" - Forum name

Forum description - "Shepherd Me O God, beyond my wants, beyond my fears, from death into life... God is my Shepherd, I shall not live in want..."

And I can't remember the rest of the hymn. But that's a part of the beginning. :D

But do you guys get what I'm saying? The description could tie into a little theme for the forum. It could represent peace, living a Godly life, or it could just represent something in the Bible. Like in this case, a psalm.

What do you guys think?

I like this idea. I also liked the idea of looking on the synod's websites to get names/quotes. I know that that mission statement of the ELCA as a whole is "Making Christ Known." Perhaps that could be the name or the description for this subforum and we could look to see what the LCMS has as its mission statement.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ChiRho said:
Redneck, I seem to recall a "I don't think I am wrong" confession from a different thread...which side are you on anyway? ;)

If it's what I think it was I think I once said that "I didn't think someone should take communion with people who don't believe the same thing as you do"...I think I held on to that belief for about 3 hours (literally)...never offically recanted...sorry...my Lutheran beliefs are still a little fluid right now...and still very colored by my experiences with the Methodists, Presbytarians and Episcopalians...maybe that's not what your thinking of, but that's the only on I can think of right now...I've talked with my Pastor and we both agreed that I've read enough "Christian" stuff and I need to consentrate of "Lutheran" stuff...that's way I'm reading a lot of Gerhard Forde right now...

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KagomeShuko said:
I like this idea. I also liked the idea of looking on the synod's websites to get names/quotes. I know that that mission statement of the ELCA as a whole is "Make Christ Known." Perhaps that could be the name or the description for this subforum and we could look to see what the LCMS has as it's mission statement.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

I could find no real Mission statement at the LCMS.org site.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
RedneckLutheran said:

oohhh...I am liking that...We're right and You're Not--Confessional Lutherans Forum. I'll take it back to the other side and see if they are willing to go with that. :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.