Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Got there in time for Sunday School. The adult study was beginning an introduction to the Book of Concord. We went over some of the history of the book and Lutheranism. Next week we will begin with the Small Catechism.

Worship was good. Much the same as I'm used to. It was nice to have confession/absolution; I hear they have this every week. The sermon was good, and from the Word. The Law was not watered down, and the Gospel was really Gospel. The music was much more contemporary than I expected. Their Communion policy is that if you agree with a number of statements printed in their bulletin, then you are welcome.

They are beginning VBS Monday, and asked for my daughters to come. They don't charge anything, that's a nice change. The VBS stuff was all set up, and partially blocking the view to the altar. That was disappointing, but all in all, I really enjoyed being there.

I will continue going, at least to the Sunday School, while they are going over the Book of Concord.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tetzel said:
Private confession?
No, public confession. Even when we do have confession at my regular church, it is commonly followed by a kind of fuzzy feel-good speech, but rarely with any kind of actual word of absolution. This was a nice change.

Tetzel said:
What were those questions in the bulletin by the way?
Well, I'm doing this from memory, it wasn't a Communion service, but the Pastor showed me the questions in the bulletin for Communion Sundays. It was something very similar to:

• We believe that the body and blood of Jesus are truly present in, with and under the bread and wine distributed in Holy Communion.
  • We believe that the Lord’s Supper is a participation in the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
  • We believe that receiving the body and blood of Jesus in faith brings us the actual and real forgiveness of sins.
  • We believe that there is a danger in taking the Lord’s Supper without acknowledging that the Lord’s body and blood are truly present in, with and under the bread and wine.
  • Whomever has faith in these words, "Given and shed for you" and "for the remission of sins" is truly prepared, but whomever does not believe these words, or doubts them, is unworthy and unprepared; for the words "for you" require all hearts to believe.
  • If you agree to and believe the above, we welcome you to Commune...
The above were the same points as in the bulletin, but I probably worded them a little differently.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DanHead said:
No, public confession. Even when we do have confession at my regular church, it is commonly followed by a kind of fuzzy feel-good speech, but rarely with any kind of actual word of absolution. This was a nice change.

Well, I'm doing this from memory, it wasn't a Communion service, but the Pastor showed me the questions in the bulletin for Communion Sundays. It was something very similar to:
  • We believe that the body and blood of Jesus are truly present in, with and under the bread and wine distributed in Holy Communion.
  • We believe that the Lord’s Supper is a participation in the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
  • We believe that receiving the body and blood of Jesus in faith brings us the actual and real forgiveness of sins.
  • We believe that there is a danger in taking the Lord’s Supper without acknowledging that the Lord’s body and blood are truly present in, with and under the bread and wine.
  • Whomever has faith in these words, "Given and shed for you" and "for the remission of sins" is truly prepared, but whomever does not believe these words, or doubts them, is unworthy and unprepared; for the words "for you" require all hearts to believe.
  • If you agree to and believe the above, we welcome you to Commune...
The above were the same points as in the bulletin, but I probably worded them a little differently.

Dan,

Did you actually feel that you believed the words the pastor spoke after the confession? Did you feel forgiven of your sins? What kind of feel-good speech does your own pastor give after confession?

Scott

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
SLStrohkirch said:
Dan,

Did you actually feel that you believed the words the pastor spoke after the confession? Did you feel forgiven of your sins?
Closer to the point, I knew I was forgiven. I believed the words the pastor spoke. I felt grateful and joyful that I was forgiven, but I also knew that the forgiveness was not based on those feelings; the feelings instead were in response to the forgiveness. If I had not felt anything, I would have still known and believed that I was forgiven.

SLStrohkirch said:
What kind of feel-good speech does your own pastor give after confession?

Scott
Have you ever read any of Willy's posts? I have actually wondered once or twice if my pastor and Willy were one and the same, or at least if they attended the same seminary.

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
DanHead said:
Closer to the point, I knew I was forgiven. I believed the words the pastor spoke. I felt grateful and joyful that I was forgiven, but I also knew that the forgiveness was not based on those feelings; the feelings instead were in response to the forgiveness. If I had not felt anything, I would have still known and believed that I was forgiven.

I love that feeling, that is how my pastor always makes me feel after the confession and absolution (which I love about my church, we do have confession and absolution every week, I dont know what I would do with out it).

Had I known that the ELCA were straying this far away from the true faith of Lutheranism, I would have been out a while ago, but my church is half LCMS and half ELCA (dont ask how it works, but it makes it so that we are LCMS on some views and ELCA on others and we all get along), the head pastor is ELCA (although he could fool you for an LCMS pastor except he does allow open communion) but the assistant pastor is LCMS and will tell you that.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DanHead said:

Have you ever read any of Willy's posts? I have actually wondered once or twice if my pastor and Willy were one and the same, or at least if they attended the same seminary.

There was a popular song in the 70s called "Little Willy" This was the refrain.

'Cos little Willy
Willy won't go home
but can't push Willy round
Willy won't go;
try tellin' ev'rybody

but
oh
no
little Willy
Willy won't go home.

Catchy theme eh. By the group that brought you "Ballroom Blitz" The Sweet.

Upvote 0

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Me personaly, I don't feel as if I need to get reassurance from the pastor for absolution. I have that reassurance from God personally. When Luther set this confession/absolution into practice I feel the times warranted it with illiterate peasants, stressfull wars and the everpresent feeling that the RCC might try to overcome all this "reform movement" nonsense and pull them back into the fold and make them go to confession. It was an established practice with the RCC and Luther advocated it, as was the order of service parrarelled with the format of the mass. So I feel they just "went along" with the crowd. Give the new protestants a comfort zone to ease them into Lutheranism. I'm not trying to argue a point, I'm just giving my opinion and 2 cents worth....... probably not even worth that.

Upvote 0

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Dan sorry I got off the subject and I'm glad you enjoyed a truly LCMS/Christian experience even though I lean more to confessional/WELS format. There are still many LCMS churches that are staying conservative/confessional within the LCMS. God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Radidio said:
Me personaly, I don't feel as if I need to get reassurance from the pastor for absolution. I have that reassurance from God personally. When Luther set this confession/absolution into practice I feel the times warranted it with illiterate peasants, stressfull wars and the everpresent feeling that the RCC might try to overcome all this "reform movement" nonsense and pull them back into the fold and make them go to confession. It was an established practice with the RCC and Luther advocated it, as was the order of service parrarelled with the format of the mass. So I feel they just "went along" with the crowd. Give the new protestants a comfort zone to ease them into Lutheranism. I'm not trying to argue a point, I'm just giving my opinion and 2 cents worth....... probably not even worth that.

Ok, for you that's fine, but for many others it is a comfort to hear after making a confession of sin that they are forgiven for that sin. It helps to hear the word of God granting us forgiveness for our short-sightedness. If you feel that you can get that without hearing the Pastor, in the stead and by the command of Christ, tell you that your sins are forgiven great, but I know that for me it is still a great comfort to hear the words.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Radidio said:
There are still many LCMS churches that are staying conservative/confessional within the LCMS. God bless

And where might these many churches be? Just curious...are you from the upper Midwest?

I had a Lutheran pastor once ask where I lived...he was going to help me find a "good confessional" Lutheran church within a reasonable drive from my home. Never heard from him again....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.