Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just discovered this section!

Pescetarian here :wave:

No meat for 15 years, and I didn't eat fish for 10 of them, but I do know. I also eat eggs (we have pet hens...yummy eggs!) & dairy. I was also raised without meat, although I'm a little hazy about when I first had it...

My daughter's 10 and has never eaten meat, but she did start on fish when I went back to it...

Upvote 0

xThirst4Godx

The LORD is God, the LORD is One!--Deut 6:4-6
Aug 8, 2007
CT, in the U.S. of A.
✟8,037.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am straightedge (and therefore veggie by extension). not necessarily for animal rights (though in part) or for religion (though again, in part--God did not condemn meat-eating or meat, but some people just don't feel that its good for the soul). No meat since my birthday (6/6/07). hasn't been long, but i've only been sxe since december of '06.

Upvote 0

FreeBessi

Jul 18, 2007
Denver, CO
Visit site
✟7,641.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Me and my husband are both struggling vegetarians. It is difficult sometimes, but we stay on the right track 90% of the time. I've been doing awesome these past few weeks; he's cheated only twice, I think.... but we really believe it's wrong to eat meat, morally. That's us.

Bessi :hug::kiss:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beastt

Legend
Mar 12, 2004
Arizona
✟33,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am straightedge (and therefore veggie by extension). not necessarily for animal rights (though in part) or for religion (though again, in part--God did not condemn meat-eating or meat, but some people just don't feel that its good for the soul). No meat since my birthday (6/6/07). hasn't been long, but i've only been sxe since december of '06.
I can't speak for the soul. But eating meat is definitely bad for the body and the ecology. Vegetarians suffer less than a quarter the heart attack rate of those who consume meat (heart attack is by far, the #1 killer in countries adhering to western diets). Vegans display only one-fifteenth the heart attack rate. Vegetarians have only 40% of the cancer rate found in meat-eaters. Strokes, diabetes, kidney failure, osteoporosis and a multitude of other diseases common to western-diet cultures show a similar reduction.

Twenty vegans can eat on one acre. That same acre can support just one meat-eating human. The list of reasons goes on and on but for me the most convincing is human digestive physiology which places us squarely in the herbivorous monogastric category. Compassion for animals runs a very close second.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for the soul. But eating meat is definitely bad for the body and the ecology. Vegetarians suffer less than a quarter the heart attack rate of those who consume meat (heart attack is by far, the #1 killer in countries adhering to western diets). Vegans display only one-fifteenth the heart attack rate. Vegetarians have only 40% of the cancer rate found in meat-eaters. Strokes, diabetes, kidney failure, osteoporosis and a multitude of other diseases common to western-diet cultures show a similar reduction.

Twenty vegans can eat on one acre. That same acre can support just one meat-eating human. The list of reasons goes on and on but for me the most convincing is human digestive physiology which places us squarely in the herbivorous monogastric category. Compassion for animals runs a very close second.

Although the highlighted reason wasn't what initially prompted my decision to eat veg, it certainly ranks high on the reasons why I stay veg. It seems like people are aware of other overconsumption issues, but this one usually flies under the radar. And, or course, even when people recognize that they overconsume, change is slow in coming.

Reactions: odeminkwe
Upvote 0

Beastt

Legend
Mar 12, 2004
Arizona
✟33,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Although the highlighted reason wasn't what initially prompted my decision to eat veg, it certainly ranks high on the reasons why I stay veg. It seems like people are aware of other overconsumption issues, but this one usually flies under the radar. And, or course, even when people recognize that they overconsume, change is slow in coming.
While most people are aware of the rapid loss of the rain forests, few people seem to have any clue why the forests continue to be slashed and burned. The answer is simple. Land owners in South America have little use for forests. But the U.S. dollar is something they can use. So they're happy to cut and burn forest lands to plant pasture grasses which will support cattle for 3 - 5 years before all of the nutrients are lost from the thin layer of fertile soil common to rain forest lands. Then the rains wash the land away, eroding it and leaving it barren and useless. So they simply slash and burn the next several thousand acres, plant more grass and the process continues.

We (the U.S.) simply don't have enough agricultural lands to support our craving for cheap meat anymore so we contract other countries to provide areas to graze cattle. We get our $1.00 hamburgers and our heart attacks while the world loses a finite resource containing half of the life forms on Earth.

Upvote 0

rebel_conservative

Baruch HaShem! Praise G-d!
Feb 5, 2005
✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

cool, sxe is great ^_^ there is no scene in the UK though, so I never really could partake, I downloaded a couple of minor threat songs though

do you have any tattoos yet?

HaShem did not exactly condemn meat-eating outright, but there are a whole heap of regulations and hoops to jump through, so to me it is clear that this wasn't His preferred diet for us.

great custom title btw, I just changed mine, used to be the Shema in Hebrew

Reactions: odeminkwe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far, I haven't had too hard of a time staying away from meat. After learning of what the hormones in the meat may be doing to my body (fibroids), I can't bring myself to eat it. I feel like I'm poisoning myself. I feel like I may have a little more energy, in the short time I've been doing this. I'm hoping to lose about 50-60 lbs. as an added benefit. I have been staying away from high fat and high sugar foods as well, because body fat encourages estrogen production in the body which leads to fibroid growth. I pray that I will keep this desire to stay away from harmful foods.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I didn't realise sxe had a vegetarian thing going.

Upvote 0