Visit site
✟1,448.00
Country
Cote Divoire
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I will rather say that it´s flat because the accurate word of God says it´s <<It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; [It is He] who stretches out the heavens like a veil And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.>> Isaiah 40:22

Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To almost everyone in history through to today, the Earth looks flat.

"Looks" being the operative word here.

As the diameter of an arc increases, so does the flatness of its points.

A person standing on top of a roller coaster track will readily see that the track is elliptical.

But as the radius of the arc increases, the flatter the track becomes.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,428.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The higher your viewpoint, the wider the circle.
You, personally, are right at this moment at the exact centre of the observable universe.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And you can look up and see infinity.
That used to do my head in when I was a child. I'd look up at the night sky, and just thinking about it just going on and on without end would start giving me a headache.
I now see it as a reflection of the infinite nature of our creator, just as the flat earth snow globe reflects a finite creator. I don't believe in the God of the flat earth because he simply isn't worthy of glory. The God of the observed universe, with its planets orbiting stars, which themselves orbit their galactic centre with millions of other stars, with innumerable galaxies spread out over the vastness of space, now that is a God worthy of glory and worship!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,428.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That used to do my head in when I was a child. I'd look up at the night sky, and just thinking about it just going on and on without end would start giving me a headache.
I now see it as a reflection of the infinite nature of our creator, just as the flat earth snow globe reflects a finite creator. I don't believe in the God of the flat earth because he simply isn't worthy of glory. The God of the observed universe, with its planets orbiting stars, which themselves orbit their galactic centre with millions of other stars, with innumerable galaxies spread out over the vastness of space, now that is a God worthy of glory and worship!
I always saw it the other way. I imagined a small rock on the dark side of a small cold planet circling a dying star in a non descript solar system in the outer limits of a small galaxy well outside the observable universe. Forever out of our reach. It serves no purpose. It has sat there while life arose here and evolved into intelligence. It will still be there when all known and future civilisations on this planet are dust.

It's like God built us a planet but we're not allowed out of our bedroom. If we were all that was, if the stars we see really were just pretty lights and the heavens were centered on us then I might think that we were special in some way. As opposed to being lucky. But there is too much. Way too much.

Upvote 0