Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how to phrase this post......but here goes.
When people use key and recognizable biblical phrases (like I'm dusting my feet off and leaving this thread), what's the purpose of that do you think?

Do you think they feel more spiritual or they've made some sort of huge point about how much above you they are in their knowledge of God.........

Pretty much an open topic about using biblical phrases.......and examples of said phrases you've seen used here.

Personally, I find it really annoying.

I'd say it depends on the context. I use key Biblical phrases a lot but not because I'm trying to sound holier than thou. It's because I'm alluding to those phrases on purpose to intentionally draw people's attention to them. By using the phrase, I incorporate by reference the entire passage. At least, that's usually my intent.

When I do that, I'm actually assuming that the people reading it will catch the reference. So...it's not holier than thou to assume your audience knows as much as you do. Is it?

Also, I'm a bit classic lit fan... and many good classics are strewn with Biblical allusions. I love that.

I certainly have seen people use it in a way that comes across as holier than thou, though. But then, with some people, everything they say comes across that way, whether it's a Biblical phrase or not.

Of course, for all I know, people are reading this and saying "yep, you come across as holier than thou all the time." All I can say is I don't mean to.

Upvote 0

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd say it depends on the context. I use key Biblical phrases a lot but not because I'm trying to sound holier than thou. It's because I'm alluding to those phrases on purpose to intentionally draw people's attention to them. By using the phrase, I incorporate by reference the entire passage. At least, that's usually my intent.

When I do that, I'm actually assuming that the people reading it will catch the reference. So...it's not holier than thou to assume your audience knows as much as you do. Is it?

Also, I'm a bit classic lit fan... and many good classics are strewn with Biblical allusions. I love that.

I certainly have seen people use it in a way that comes across as holier than thou, though. But then, with some people, everything they say comes across that way, whether it's a Biblical phrase or not.

Of course, for all I know, people are reading this and saying "yep, you come across as holier than thou all the time." All I can say is I don't mean to.

I like literature references.........just the ones that do seem "holier than though" I recognize the reference......but it doesn't really fit in the conversation. It just appears to be used solely for the purpose of explaining why they will no longer be discussing this subject with the likes of you or something equally as lame.

Also, its a good point that its very difficult to ascertain the intent of a post without any of the usual cues (like tone of voice, facial features, and body posture) you have in a face to face conversation. So often I or anybody can get the wrong idea from the words on the screen............BUT SOMETIMES it's just so obvious what the "tone" is even without visual and audio cues.

Upvote 0

siege

Oct 30, 2006
Florida
✟8,016.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, come on, Siege. Charityagape raises a good point.

And anyhow, aren’t you doing the very thing you are accusing her of?

~Jim

Real heroes are people who rise to the occasion then slip quietly away. ~Tom Brokaw

Actually....after I wrote this earlier I thought I should have noted that this was not directed at the OP. I agree with you about the OP...it was the ensuing conversation that I was asking about.

And no...I'm not...I didn't talk about "those people" as if they were morons...I simply asked a question: "Is it any better to talk about 'those people' with this tone than....?"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.