Farmington
✟31,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
U.S. military help to Israel will be defensive only, officials say.

As Israel on Monday weighed its response to Iran's stunning attacks this weekend, the U.S. is privately telling officials there: If Israel strikes back militarily, it will do so alone.

It's an unusual message for a close ally that's spent decades receiving more US military aid than any other country in the world and whose relationship with America is often described as "ironclad."

But after months of Israel acting on its own in Gaza -- and facing tough criticism from the U.S. and other allies that its military operations have gone too far – the Biden administration made clear the U.S. wouldn't participate in offensive military operations against Iran, fearing a broader war in the Middle East.

"We believe Israel has freedom of action to protect itself and defend itself," a senior administration official told reporters shortly after Iran's attack ended. "That's a long-standing policy, and that remains."

When asked by a reporter if the U.S. would help Israel counter with offensive military operations, the official said no.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
U.S. military help to Israel will be defensive only, officials say.

As Israel on Monday weighed its response to Iran's stunning attacks this weekend, the U.S. is privately telling officials there: If Israel strikes back militarily, it will do so alone.

It's an unusual message for a close ally that's spent decades receiving more US military aid than any other country in the world and whose relationship with America is often described as "ironclad."

But after months of Israel acting on its own in Gaza -- and facing tough criticism from the U.S. and other allies that its military operations have gone too far – the Biden administration made clear the U.S. wouldn't participate in offensive military operations against Iran, fearing a broader war in the Middle East.

"We believe Israel has freedom of action to protect itself and defend itself," a senior administration official told reporters shortly after Iran's attack ended. "That's a long-standing policy, and that remains."

When asked by a reporter if the U.S. would help Israel counter with offensive military operations, the official said no.

Seems that this war might include three countries now: Israel, Palestine and now Iran. Iran should stay out of this one.

Here is a summary of the article:

The article by Anne Flaherty, published on April 15, 2024, reports that the United States has informed Israel that it will not participate in any military offensive operations against Iran following Iran's attack on Israel over the weekend. This message was delivered privately to Israeli officials, including Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, in a phone call between Gallant and U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

Iran's attack on Israel was considered retaliation for a military strike on Iran's consulate in Damascus, Syria, which is believed to have been carried out by Israel. The article states that Iran launched over 300 missiles and drones toward Israel, but only about half of them were successful. Many failed to launch or crashed before reaching their targets.

Israel's air defense systems were able to defeat most of the remaining threats, with assistance from U.S., UK, and Jordanian forces. American forces in the region shot down over 80 drones and up to six ballistic missiles. One missile was also shot down near Erbil, Iraq, which the U.S. suspected was headed toward Israel.

The senior administration official told reporters that the defensive effort was a "spectacular" success, despite Iran's intent to cause significant damage and deaths in Israel. Israel's response to the attack was not immediately clear, but Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with his war cabinet on Sunday, and a decision could be made as early as Monday.

The article notes that the global support for Israel following the attack was a notable shift for Israel after months of criticism over its destructive military operations against Hamas in October 2023. U.S. officials believe that Iran's attack was mostly a failure and that a carefully calibrated response with broad international support is the goal moving forward. The senior administration official urged Israel to think through its next steps carefully.

Israel's Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Force, stated that the global support for Israel under the umbrella of the United States Central Command, together with the British, French, and regional players, sent a clear message to Iran that it cannot get away with such attacks.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully this holds.
Yeah, and hopefully this war dies down. We do not want the Middle East to become a total war zone, or a nuclear wasteland.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, and hopefully this war dies down. We do not want the Middle East to become a total war zone, or a nuclear wasteland.

If we follow Bible prophecy Israel will never be completely wiped out. However, major war in the middle east is inevitable: Isaiah 17, the destruction of Damascus hasn't happened yet, and Israel loses a lot there.

Neither shall Iran be completely destroyed, but close:
"For I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life: and I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the Lord; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them:
And I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence the king and the princes, saith the Lord.
But it shall come to pass in the latter days, that I will bring again the captivity of Elam, saith the Lord." (Jeremiah 49:37-39)

Elam was absorbed by Persia and its territory was in Iran's southwestern region

Iran (Persia) is also one of the coalition in the Gog Magog war of Ezekiel 38 & 39

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we follow Bible prophecy Israel will never be completely wiped out. However, major war in the middle east is inevitable: Isaiah 17, the destruction of Damascus hasn't happened yet, and Israel loses a lot there.

Neither shall Iran be completely destroyed, but close:
"For I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life: and I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the Lord; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them:

And I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence the king and the princes, saith the Lord.
But it shall come to pass in the latter days, that I will bring again the captivity of Elam, saith the Lord." (Jeremiah 49:37-39)

Elam was absorbed by Persia and its territory was in Iran's southwestern region

Iran (Persia) is also one of the coalition in the Gog Magog war of Ezekiel 38 & 39
Yeah, Israel will never be wiped out, but let us not focus on the end of the world, or make assumptions that this is Revelations.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, Israel will never be wiped out, but let us not focus on the end of the world, or make assumptions that this is Revelations.
Breaking with 2,000 years of tradition on that one.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Breaking with 2,000 years of tradition on that one.
Well, technically a country can never be completely wiped out, no matter where the country is. But yeah, I am tired of people trying to guess the return of Jesus or the end of the world (even the Bible says no one knows the hour of his return). The eschatologists say the world was gonna end in: 1994, 2000 Y2K, 2011 rapture, 2012 maya, 2019-2020 Covid-19, 2023-2024 Israel war, April 8th, 2024 eclipse. Someone here on CF in a few months is probably gonna say the world is gonna end on the annular eclipse of October 2nd, 2024.

In summary, I do not believe any end-times prophecy bologna stuff.

1713214718301.png

Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, technically a country can never be completely wiped out, no matter where the country is. But yeah, I am tired of people trying to guess the return of Jesus or the end of the world (even the Bible says no one knows the hour of his return). The eschatologists say the world was gonna end in: 1994, 2000 Y2K, 2011 rapture, 2012 maya, 2019-2020 Covid-19, 2023-2024 Israel war, April 8th, 2024 eclipse. Someone here on CF in a few months is probably gonna say the world is gonna end on the annular eclipse of October 2nd, 2024.

In summary, I do not believe any end-times prophecy bologna stuff.

View attachment 345954

I believe the end time prophecy of the Bible, not what man says. Keeping an eye on the signs is important, especially if the wars escalate. I go by Mark 13:32 - 37 where Jesus says "watch" 4 different times. That also goes for saying the rapture has to take place at any certain time, because He never says that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the end time prophecy of the Bible, not what man says. Keeping an eye on the signs is important, especially if the wars escalate. I go by Mark 13:32 - 37 where Jesus says "watch" 4 different times. That also goes for saying the rapture has to take place at any certain time, because He never says that.
OK, I'll back out of this thread, cos this is a news thread, not an end-times debate. Jesus only said "watch" not speculate, and pull calendar dates out of one's rear.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟249,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible was written by men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟249,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
True, and it's no different than you or I putting our experiences on paper.
Sure, but OP is talking about gods and prophecies. Not just "experiences on paper." If you want to use the Bible as insight into the ideology and thinking of bronze-age, Semitic people that's fine, but OP is giving these writings authority and "truth" they simply don't have in the current timeframe.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, but OP is talking about gods and prophecies. Not just "experiences on paper." If you want to use the Bible as insight into the ideology and thinking of bronze-age, Semitic people that's fine, but OP is giving these writings authority and "truth" they simply don't have in the current timeframe.
OK you're right, he probably posted in the wrong section in this forum if he wanted to talk about prophecy. To Christians, this is the truth and I agree with Alex the date setting is plain stupid just someone trying to be important. Peace

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully this holds.
Has any US president ever "held firm" when it comes to things pertaining to giving Israel (or any other allied country for that matter) "tough love" in the "no, you're on your own, our military is staying out of it" department?

Unfortunately, one of the few things in DC that has bipartisan staying power over the years is military interventionism.

Even as unpopular as the invasion of Iraq was back under George W Bush among the US general public

Among the legislative branch (who just so happens to get some campaign donations from defense contractors), it's a bit of a different story...
Passed the House on October 10, 2002 (296–133)
Passed the Senate on October 11, 2002 (77–23)

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has any US president ever "held firm" when it comes to things pertaining to giving Israel (or any other allied country for that matter) "tough love" in the "no, you're on your own, our military is staying out of it" department?
First time for everything.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First time for everything.
I don't see how they'd be able to hold to that, at least in a strategic sense.

When it comes to military interventionism, here in the US, we have a political horseshoe instead of a spectrum.

On the two ends, you have the far left progressives and far right isolationists, and in the big meaty part of the middle, you have all of the establishment politicians, many of whom never met a military conflict they didn't like.

A) The "ends of the horseshoe" pretty much hate each other and aren't going to be able to build a meaningful good-faith coalition
B) There's not enough of them that they'd get any traction even if they wanted to.

The only thing that's pumping the brakes on this one is the fact that there's two happening at the same time, and once side wants ukraine and israel aid joined at the hip, and the other one doesn't.

If there was a deal to do both, it'd surely pass with the kind of congressional support numbers seen in Bush's invasion of Iraq.

Upvote 0