Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tonight, I was laying in bed when I had an intrusive thought about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I got upset and dwelled on it too much...my stomach was in knots and I was shaking, saying over and over that I want the Holy Spirit to live in me. Then, for a moment, I wondered if I didn't. That's what scares me, not the intrusive thought. I contemplated turning my back on the Holy Spirit because of the pain and agony. Did I commit the unpardonable sin? I want to live for Jesus. I want the Holy Spirit to work in me. I'm so scared. My stomach is in knots

Spikey4672

A Man on a Mission
Nov 21, 2010
The South
✟7,741.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Well the good news is you haven't committed the "unpardonable sin" because you are here. When God talks about the rejection of the Holy Spirit as the "unpardonable sin" what he is referring to is people who choose to ignore their convictions and believe they have done nothing wrong. If you choose to believe that the Holy Spirit is lying or wrong when you feel conviction you will never feel a need to ask for forgiveness or repent and therefore that sin will continue and fester, and God cannot forgive you of it and allow you to learn and grow in the sense that you choose to believe it doesn't need forgiveness and therefore you will never be rid of it. So in short, you're fine.

Upvote 0

Spikey4672

A Man on a Mission
Nov 21, 2010
The South
✟7,741.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Well the good news is you haven't committed the "unpardonable sin" because you are here. When God talks about the rejection of the Holy Spirit as the "unpardonable sin" what he is referring to is people who choose to ignore their convictions and believe they have done nothing wrong. If you choose to believe that the Holy Spirit is lying or wrong when you feel conviction you will never feel a need to ask for forgiveness or repent and therefore that sin will continue and fester, and God's forgiveness of that sin essentially becomes moot since you will never learn, grow, or be freed from it, thus making the pardon void or in other words "unpardonable sin". So in short, you're fine.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Tonight, I was laying in bed when I had an intrusive thought about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I got upset and dwelled on it too much...my stomach was in knots and I was shaking, saying over and over that I want the Holy Spirit to live in me. Then, for a moment, I wondered if I didn't. That's what scares me, not the intrusive thought. I contemplated turning my back on the Holy Spirit because of the pain and agony. Did I commit the unpardonable sin? I want to live for Jesus. I want the Holy Spirit to work in me. I'm so scared. My stomach is in knots

I literally contemplated telling the Holy Spirit to go away!! That part was all me, not an intrusive thought! I don't want that! Please help

You are freaking out too much. Let us figure out if you are saved:
  • Do you recognise that you are a sinner?
  • Have you repented of your sin?
  • Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, even God himself?
  • Do you believe that Jesus came down to Earth, bore your sins on the cross, died and then rose again from the dead?
  • Do you believe that Jesus' sacrifice purifies you from your sin?
  • Do you want to live for God and serve him in the best possible way?
If so, you are saved, and the Holy Spirit already lives in you (Romans 8:9; Galatians 3:2). You do not need to ask the Spirit to come and live in you when he already does! Nothing you ever do will make you lose your salvation (Romans 8:28-39).

Evidently, when you contemplated the Holy Spirit to go away, you had no idea of what you were talking about (neither had you any idea when you asked it to live in you). The Holy Spirit will not go away if you tell it to. You cannot run away from God.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
USA
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are freaking out too much. Let us figure out if you are saved:
  • Do you recognise that you are a sinner?
  • Have you repented of your sin?
  • Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, even God himself?
  • Do you believe that Jesus came down to Earth, bore your sins on the cross, died and then rose again from the dead?
  • Do you believe that Jesus' sacrifice purifies you from your sin?
  • Do you want to live for God and serve him in the best possible way?
If so, you are saved, and the Holy Spirit already lives in you (Romans 8:9; Galatians 3:2). You do not need to ask the Spirit to come and live in you when he already does! Nothing you ever do will make you lose your salvation (Romans 8:28-39).

Evidently, when you contemplated the Holy Spirit to go away, you had no idea of what you were talking about (neither had you any idea when you asked it to live in you). The Holy Spirit will not go away if you tell it to. You cannot run away from God.

I'm sorry. I know I sounded ridiculous. I have a very obsessive mind and I have been struggling with different variations of this problem for months now. I am completely and utterly exhausted at this point and I wrote that when I was practically having a breakdown.
Yes, I am a Christian. Yes, I truly believe the truths you listed. These horrible, sometimes blasphemous, weird thoughts won't go away, though. I have been praying like crazy and reading my Bible a lot, but every time I start to feel better another thought comes rushing in.
Thank you for replying.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
USA
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well the good news is you haven't committed the "unpardonable sin" because you are here. When God talks about the rejection of the Holy Spirit as the "unpardonable sin" what he is referring to is people who choose to ignore their convictions and believe they have done nothing wrong. If you choose to believe that the Holy Spirit is lying or wrong when you feel conviction you will never feel a need to ask for forgiveness or repent and therefore that sin will continue and fester, and God's forgiveness of that sin essentially becomes moot since you will never learn, grow, or be freed from it, thus making the pardon void or in other words "unpardonable sin". So in short, you're fine.

Thank you for replying. This really helped :)

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry. I know I sounded ridiculous. I have a very obsessive mind and I have been struggling with different variations of this problem for months now. I am completely and utterly exhausted at this point and I wrote that when I was practically having a breakdown.
Yes, I am a Christian. Yes, I truly believe the truths you listed. These horrible, sometimes blasphemous, weird thoughts won't go away, though. I have been praying like crazy and reading my Bible a lot, but every time I start to feel better another thought comes rushing in.
Thank you for replying.

Rest assured in God and study the Bible to learn about the amazing truths of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and of eternal security! :) God bless you!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟743,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi the bible says that we should not sin, we should be living trying to avoid sin, but if we do mess-up Jesus will forgive us.

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sinnot. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What you are experiencing is an attempt by Satan to unsettle your faith. He wants you to think you have committed an unpardonable sin so you get angry with God, and leave your faith behind.

In reality there is no sin that is unpardonable, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is pushing away God's love and drawing to salvation for so long that we become hardened and no longer responsive to God. Sin has a hardening effect, Paul describes it in terms of slavery:

Rom 6:15-16 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

If we continually sin our hearts become enslaved to it, Satan becomes our master, and we start to get blinded spiritually, persistent sin leads to death (hell). It is a slow blinding effect, the more we sin the blinder we become to God's forgiveness. The unpardonable sin is persisting in sin for so long we can no longer see God's grace.

Also in regard to the attacks on your mind. Forcefully remind Satan that in Christ:

Gal 3:13-14 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

What that scripture means is that because Christ is in you, because you are a Christian, every curse that Satan tries to put on you for your weaknesses is broken. No curse can rest on you, only God's blessing.

Now Satan will not give up easy he will attack you often, but every time tell him "You are a curse, because I am in Christ, the bible says I have no curse, you have no part of me, I will only have God's blessing in my life:.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
USA
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi the bible says that we should not sin, we should be living trying to avoid sin, but if we do mess-up Jesus will forgive us.

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sinnot. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What you are experiencing is an attempt by Satan to unsettle your faith. He wants you to think you have committed an unpardonable sin so you get angry with God, and leave your faith behind.

In reality there is no sin that is unpardonable, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is pushing away God's love and drawing to salvation for so long that we become hardened and no longer responsive to God. Sin has a hardening effect, Paul describes it in terms of slavery:

Rom 6:15-16 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

If we continually sin our hearts become enslaved to it, Satan becomes our master, and we start to get blinded spiritually, persistent sin leads to death (hell). It is a slow blinding effect, the more we sin the blinder we become to God's forgiveness. The unpardonable sin is persisting in sin for so long we can no longer see God's grace.

Also in regard to the attacks on your mind. Forcefully remind Satan that in Christ:

Gal 3:13-14 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

What that scripture means is that because Christ is in you, because you are a Christian, every curse that Satan tries to put on you for your weaknesses is broken. No curse can rest on you, only God's blessing.

Now Satan will not give up easy he will attack you often, but every time tell him "You are a curse, because I am in Christ, the bible says I have no curse, you have no part of me, I will only have God's blessing in my life:.

Thank you so much, now that it's been awhile I can see the truth more clearly. I am still getting the thoughts, but they aren't affecting me so much anymore. I know they're not from my heart. I do wish they'd go away, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟743,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much, now that it's been awhile I can see the truth more clearly. I am still getting the thoughts, but they aren't affecting me so much anymore. I know they're not from my heart. I do wish they'd go away, though.

Great to hear you are overcoming those thoughts :).

Upvote 0

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The idea of sinning beyond forgiveness is indeed really frightening. I've been worried about this a lot myself. As others have mentioned, it isn't merely insulting the Holy Spirit that was the cause of Jesus saying what he said to the pharisees. Rather, it was that their statement about Jesus' miracle showed their true heart (wickedness and persistent unbelief). People have shared great scripture passages. Remember, God wills your good and he has the means to achieve it. God is for us; not only does he know better than us what is good for us but he also wills our good even more than us!

So, how are things going for you now?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
USA
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The idea of sinning beyond forgiveness is indeed really frightening. I've been worried about this a lot myself. As others have mentioned, it isn't merely insulting the Holy Spirit that was the cause of Jesus saying what he said to the pharisees. Rather, it was that their statement about Jesus' miracle showed their true heart (wickedness and persistent unbelief). People have shared great scripture passages. Remember, God wills your good and he has the means to achieve it. God is for us; not only does he know better than us what is good for us but he also wills our good even more than us!

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply; I hadn't logged into this forum until now. Thank you so much for your reply..I'm doing a lot better. The thoughts come back sometimes but I can combat them better. :)

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟109,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

This is an old post but I've struggled with the fear of being beyond forgiveness for a while now. If it's persistent unbelief, why is the sin described as speaking against and blaspheming the spirit? I would love to be wrong but that along with "...by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." I've said a lot of stupid things I hope I can still go to heaven.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Neoma

Nov 30, 2016
US
✟3,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is an old post but I've struggled with the fear of being beyond forgiveness for a while now. If it's persistent unbelief, why is the sin described as speaking against and blaspheming the spirit? I would love to be wrong but that along with "...by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." I've said a lot of stupid things I hope I can still go to heaven.
I would just like to say that before I was truly saved I said a LOT of bad things, I argued constantly, and I just could not control what I said. Yet, I thought I was saved, because people told me not to doubt my salvation, that it was satan making me doubt. But we are supposed to test ourselves (2 Corinthians 13:5). I actually figured out that I wasn't saved accidentally, when I was thinking about spiritual gifts and noticed that I really didn't have any new gifts since being "saved," or so I thought I was. Even when I read the Bible, out of nowhere evil thoughts would come into my mind, and although I did not want them there I didn't know what to do about it. I figured out that I hadn't been saved even though I kept asking for it because I hadn't forgiven some people, and God won't forgive us if we don't forgive others (Matthew 6:15). After I was saved, I became extremely careful about my words, and I gained so much self control literally overnight, which is a fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
It says in Matthew 15:19 that evil thoughts come from the heart. When we are saved, our hearts change. Basically what happened to me was my feelings and thoughts changed, and then it showed in my actions. It happened overnight too, and I improved even more overtime as I learned more. When you get the Holy Spirit, you will know it because you will change. Nobody ever taught me this, only that you just believe in Jesus and then you're saved, and nothing really happens after that, and that it's wrong to doubt your salvation. But faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
So anyone who's having problems with this, I STRONGLY encourage you to follow what the Bible says to do, and to study it constantly, otherwise people can fool you easily if you don't know what the truth is. And I'm still not 100% sure what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is, but I do know this: "wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost" (1 Corinthians 12:3).
I don't even know how someone could blaspheme the Holy Spirit if they actually have it, I'd think that it would be really hard to do. I think it's impossible to do by accident. I don't know how to describe it, but when I got the Holy Spirit I had an awareness that God was in me (it isn't something I can feel, but I just know that He's there) and I saw Him differently, like how great He is. I wish I could put it into words, but basically what I'm trying to say is that I think if someone was going to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, they'd have to TRY very very very hard to if they have it in them.

• Agree
Reactions: Sapiens
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I fyou knew the amount of questions I asked myself regarding this issue... The fact is, there are a lot of unanswered questions.

What solved it for me was finally trusting God's promises. I may not be sure why Jesus used the words He used to describe this sin (then again, let us remember that Jesus isn't the clearest person either), but I am certain that God wants us to be saved and reconciled with Him for all eternity. God says if we believe in His Son Jesus, we will be forgiven by Him. This is what Jesus says all over the gospels...

I agree with Neoma, I don't believe this can be done by accident. You must be determined, and uncaring for God, which you clearly aren't since you're asking the question.

Upvote 0