• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ulcerative Colitis

ninjatoth

Jul 2, 2015
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
I am 35 years old and have ulcerative colitis. I was first sick and diagnosed in 2002 and with treatment I only had a few short flare ups between 2002 and 2013. But in 2013 my stress levels went through the roof and i flared up big time, and it has never stopped. There were two 4 month periods where I was on steroids which helped, but immediately after tapering off them I'm back to being sick. My joints hurt daily, some days I can barely walk or eat. My bloodwork and tests come back normal as if there is no cancer or anything, and my doctor isn't even pushing a colonoscopy either. I feel like my only options are steroids or sickness, because the meds don't work. I am 6'0 and weigh 218 lbs right now, but on the steroids I can plump up to 270 lbs in no time.To me that's not an acceptable treatment because when the flare comes back, which it always does where is my barely walking condition from inflammation going to be then? I am just frustrated, I have no life. I am trying nicotine patches for the second time even though i'm not a smoker because there is promising tests that say it can help. I have even went into enough desperation to research medical marijuana even though that for sure ain't my thing. I just don't know what to do.

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I am 35 years old and have ulcerative colitis. I was first sick and diagnosed in 2002 and with treatment I only had a few short flare ups between 2002 and 2013. But in 2013 my stress levels went through the roof and i flared up big time, and it has never stopped. There were two 4 month periods where I was on steroids which helped, but immediately after tapering off them I'm back to being sick. My joints hurt daily, some days I can barely walk or eat. My bloodwork and tests come back normal as if there is no cancer or anything, and my doctor isn't even pushing a colonoscopy either. I feel like my only options are steroids or sickness, because the meds don't work. I am 6'0 and weigh 218 lbs right now, but on the steroids I can plump up to 270 lbs in no time.To me that's not an acceptable treatment because when the flare comes back, which it always does where is my barely walking condition from inflammation going to be then? I am just frustrated, I have no life. I am trying nicotine patches for the second time even though i'm not a smoker because there is promising tests that say it can help. I have even went into enough desperation to research medical marijuana even though that for sure ain't my thing. I just don't know what to do.

Have you done any online research for SAFE remedies for your UC? I know some people don't think natural remedies help but some do. I always research to make sure the ones I use are safe. I am allergic to meds or they don't help me so I have no choice but to use natural remedies but I haven't done any research on UC. Hope you get better really soon!!

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2009
✟15,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colitis is such a tough disease to deal with. I have a form of it myself. Diet changes, such as avoiding grains have improved my situation but were not a cure.

I've been reading good things about Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). It seems to cure some of their IBD condition. It seems to help with a large host of other diseases also. Ive been thinking of trying it myself. If you have not heard of LDN thought this a nice sight that goes into detail on it. The sight also has a few videos of major TV networks that did segments on LDN.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org.

Snippet from the sight:

“Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) may well be the most important therapeutic breakthrough in over fifty years. It provides a new, safe and inexpensive method of medical treatment by mobilizing the natural defenses of one’s own immune system.

LDN substantially reduces health care costs and improves treatment of a wide array of diseases. Unfortunately, because naltrexone has been without patent protection for many years, no pharmaceutical company will bear the expense of the large clinical trials necessary for FDA approval of LDN’s new special uses. It is now up to public institutions to seize the opportunity that LDN offers.”

David Gluck, MD

Upvote 0

Tony Eric

Oct 24, 2017
Loomis,CA
✟15,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Ninjatoth. Feel sad on reading this. Thanks for sharing your experience with ulcerative colitis. There is no medical cure for this disease only it can be cured by yoga, meditation, diet control or by reading Healing inspirational poetry of various writers as it gives our body tension-free. Also, We have to take care of ourselves for being healthier and keep our mind calm and cool. Thanks.

Upvote 0