Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for Christians?

• Yes. (they are included in God's the Law of Love, and in the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33)

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No they are not good

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Some of them are good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So something that is good for everyone and is based in love is impossible to keep and has been done away with by God? How is it easier to love your neighbor as yourself than to love him enough not to sleep with his wife. not steal from him, not covet anything that he owns, etc... and to love God supremely no longer means to actually love Him supremely as we can ignore the day He told us to worship Him on?

Do you think your wife will think you love her if you consistently don't do the things she asks you to do?
What caught my attention in this thread is about loving your neighbor. It's not easier to love your neighbor in all ways. Just by doing what's in the law is lacking. Love is all-encompassing and every one of us at times fails. You wouldn't violate any of the law if you loved the way Jesus wanted us to.
I think Bones 49 answered your question.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What caught my attention in this thread is about loving your neighbor. It's not easier to love your neighbor in all ways. Just by doing what's in the law is lacking. Love is all-encompassing and every one of us at times fails. You wouldn't violate any of the law if you loved the way Jesus wanted us to.
I think Bones 49 answered your question.
The Ten Commandments are so much more than what is stated- Jesus gave an example of this right from the Ten Commandments. Mat 5:19-30 and if man was keeping all of the Ten Commandments our world would be a different place, one without sin Romans 7:7 1 John 3:4.

Love in scripture does not go undefined. Its more than a feeling, it is an act of obedience 1 John 5:3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 John 15:10. It's easy to say you love someone, that's different than showing you love someone and why we are called to be doers of His Word James 1:22

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Ten Commandments are so much more than what is stated- Jesus gave an example of this right from the Ten Commandments. Mat 5:19-30 and if man was keeping all of the Ten Commandments our world would be a different place, one without sin Romans 7:7 1 John 3:4.

Love in scripture does not go undefined. Its more than a feeling, it is an act of obedience 1 John 5:3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 John 15:10. It's easy to say you love someone, that's different than showing you love someone and why we are called to be doers of His Word James 1:22
That's your interpretation of love. Love is action also. We can follow the law and still make derogatory remarks to our neighbors without thinking twice about it. The problem is no one can keep the whole and it points to our sinfulness which requires a savior, Jesus.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's your interpretation of love. Love is action also. We can follow the law and still make derogatory remarks to our neighbors without thinking twice about it. The problem is no one can keep the whole and it points to our sinfulness which requires a savior, Jesus.
Not my interpetation..... I can't take credit for scripture or what Jesus said from His own mouth.

showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments 1 John 5:3

If you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Love your neighbor.
Both are covered in the commandments. The first 4 how to love God the last 6 how to love our neighbor and Jesus gave an example of what this means- keeping God's law in the heart where sin starts. Mat 5:18-30

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God ( love to neighbor), when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God (love to God), that we keep His commandments 1 John 5:3

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The problem is no one can keep the whole and it points to our sinfulness which requires a savior, Jesus.
Jesus would not give commandments, that we will be judged by James 2:10-12 if they couldn't be kept. While we can't do it on our own, it requires our cooperation and when we obey He gives us His Spirit to help us keep them. John 14:15-18 Acts 5:32. What we can't do on our own, we can through Christ Phil 4:13

The Ten Commandments can't save us, only Jesus can - the role of the Ten Commandments is so we can see our sins Romans 3:20 Romans 7:7 and so we don't depend on our own righteousness, but God's Psa 119:172. The Ten Commandments should lead us to Christ because it is His perfect law converting the soul Psa 19:7 and if we slip and fall we don't cover our sins which one won't prosper Pro 28:13 by not going to Jesus when repenting for forgiveness to receive His mercy grace and sanctification. Once Jesus heals He says go and sin no more. Our salvation is from sin, not in sin. Mat 1:21

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both are covered in the commandments. The first 4 how to love God the last 6 how to love our neighbor and Jesus gave an example of what this means- keeping God's law in the heart where sin starts. Mat 5:18-30
True, and the last 6 is a short list of the multiple sins that harm our neighbor. If you look at sins from the perspective of love you won't be a drunk, angry, lie, be abusive and the list goes on. You have to see how your sins affect your wife family friends and anyone you meet.
Your objection is noted and dismissed as irrelevant.
Calling someone's answer irrelevant is not in the Ten Commandments but it is unloving. So if we follow the law it allows you to make statements like this? Love is all-encompassing.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
True, and the last 6 is a short list of the multiple sins that harm our neighbor. If you look at sins from the perspective of love you won't be a drunk, angry, lie, be abusive and the list goes on. You have to see how your sins affect your wife family friends and anyone you meet.
Yes all things start in the heart that Jesus addresses as examples from the Ten in Mat 5:19-30
Calling someone's answer irrelevant is not in the Ten Commandments but it is unloving. So if we follow the law it allows you to make statements like this? Love is all-encompassing.
I never said your answer was irrelevant- that seems to be your words. I was pointing to what the scripture says, which is loving and what Jesus tells us we should do Mat 5:19 Some people like to use their words, but I prefer scripture, because only God's Word matters and should be our path Psa 119:105 Man is wrong many times. Pro 3:5-6 Pro 14:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for mankind?

If good -- then what day of the week does the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?

Why is Sunday often kept instead of the 7th day of the week?

======================================

Ex 20:10 "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)?"

Is 66:23 in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"
All of God's laws are for our own good, not just ten of them (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
God’s law is most certainly good for all! But it is only required to be kept by those under the law.
The law was given to the Jews only. Gentiles were not under the law.
if the Jews were unable to keep the law then why would anyone expect the Gentiles to keep the law and why would any Gentile want to put himself under the law that’s called ‘the ministration of death”
It’s good for anyone to have at least one day of rest.
Sin is the transgression of God's law, so the position that Gentiles are not under it is the position that Gentiles are not obligated to refrain from sin, do not need salvation from sin, do not need grace, do not need Jesus to have given himself to redeem us from all lawlessness, and to not need to hear and believe the Gospel. The reality is that God is sovereign, so we are all under His law and are obligated to refrain from doing what it reveals to be sin. While the law was only given to Israel, it was given to Israel in order to equip them to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel.

In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that God's law is not too difficult for us to keep and that keeping it brings life and a blessing while not keeping it brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as something that we are unable to keep. Furthermore, Romans 10:5-8 references Deuteronomy 30:10-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim, which is the word of faith that you just denied. In 1 John 5:3, to love God is to keep His commandments, which are not burdensome, so you are also denying that anyone has ever loved God and that His commandments are not burdensome. Moreover, there are many examples of people who did keep God's law, such as those in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14. God's law is a ministration of life for those who choose to keep it and the fact that it is a ministration of death for those who refuse to keep it is not a very good reason to refuse to keep it.

The command is not to have at least one day of rest, but to rest on the 7th day in memorial of when God rested after Creation.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟674,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are all the feast days good or bad?
So something that is good for everyone and is based in love is impossible to keep and has been done away with by God?
I challenge that statement vehemently. There is not one word in the ten commandments that required the Israelites to love. They were all about duty to others. The love commands came in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.
How is it easier to love your neighbor as yourself than to love him enough not to sleep with his wife. not steal from him, not covet anything that he owns, etc... and to love God supremely no longer means to actually love Him supremely as we can ignore the day He told us to worship Him on?
God didn't tell US to keep the ten commandments, He told the Israelites to keep it. God, through His Son Jesus Christ asks us to love others as He loves us. Would Jesus steal from us? Would He do any of the hundreds of wrong doing to us?
Do you think your wife will think you love her if you consistently don't do the things she asks you to do?
I don't know about your wife, but mine would never ask me to do something that had no meaning to us. God never asked anyone but the Israelites to observe ceremonial days like feast days, new moons and Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are all the feast days good or bad?t
Good (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13).

I challenge that statement vehemently. There is not one word in the ten commandments that required the Israelites to love. They were all about duty to others. The love commands came in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.
In Exodus 20:6, it instructs to love God and obey His commandments, so obedience to God has always been rooted in love. I were instructing someone about what it means to love, then I could give a bunch of examples of what it means to love, such as honoring our parents, keeping the Sabbath holy, or doing charity, but the fact that I didn't specifically use the word "love" in those examples does not mean that those examples were not in regard to what it means to love or that commanding those thing is not commanding love. The way to love God's justice is by following His instructions for how to be doers of justice, the way to love God's holiness is by following His instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, and so forth.

God didn't tell US to keep the ten commandments, He told the Israelites to keep it. God, through His Son Jesus Christ asks us to love others as He loves us. Would Jesus steal from us? Would He do any of the hundreds of wrong doing to us?
The God of Israel has given instructions for how to know, love, worship, believe in, and testify about Him, so anyone who wants to do those things can follow those instructions while anyone who doesn't want to do those things will refuse to follow those instructions. Furthermore, God gave those instructions for the purpose of equipping Israel to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey those instructions in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel. In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus said said that all of the other commandments hang on the greatest two commandments, then you should also think that we should obey the commandments that hang on them

I don't know about your wife, but mine would never ask me to do something that had no meaning to us. God never asked anyone but the Israelites to observe ceremonial days like feast days, new moons and Sabbath.
In Isaiah 58, the intention was for Gentiles to call the Sabbath a delight. Keeping the Sabbath holy testifies that God created the world in six days, that He rested on the seventh, that he made it holy, that He makes us holy, and that He saves His children out of bondage, so if someone believe in the truth of these things, then, then we will keep the Sabbath holy, and if they do not believe in the truth of those things, then they will not keep the Sabbath holy.

In 1 Corinthians 5:6-8, Paul spoke in regard to how Passover foreshadowed Christ by drawing the connection of him being our Passover Lamb, however, instead of saying that God never asked them to observe Passover, he concluded by saying that we should therefore continue to observe Passover. All of God's holy days have meaning and those who believe in the truth of what they mean will observe them while not who deny the truth of what they mean will not.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are all the feast days good or bad?

The feast days were shadows pointing forward to Jesus. Shadows of His coming as the Messiah.

The pre incarnate Jesus created the Sabbath millenia before Eber, the father of the Hebrews, existed.

Upvote 0

One God and Father of All

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You misunderstand the entire NT. Look at what Jesus and Paulo had roi say about traditions.

Mark 7: 1 THEN came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.
3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.
4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

The Talmud which the Pharisees followed has hundreds of laws concerning hand washing, washing dishes, etc. They had thousands of laws governing every aspect of human behavior. There was nothing about life that was untouched. They also had hundreds of laws governing how to keep the Sabbath and accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath when He healed people on Sabbath.

This is why Jesus called them hypocrites multiple times and told the people during the sermon on the mount that unless their righteousness exceeded the righteousness of the Pharisees they would never enter heaven.

Paul was a Pharisee. He went around killing and persecuting Christians before his conversion.

Galatians 1: 13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews’ religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Phillippians 3: 4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

So does keeping the law of God cause a person to kill and persecute Christians? Was Paul blameless before the law of God? If not, to what law is he referring?
There were those who were believers but who thought that they still must keep the law and they argued that any Gentile who converted must also keep the law. However that argument was settled in Acts 15. The law only applied to those under the law. It did not apply to strangers outside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sin is the transgression of God's law, so the position that Gentiles are not under it is the position that Gentiles are not obligated to refrain from sin, do not need salvation from sin, do not need grace, do not need Jesus to have given himself to redeem us from all lawlessness, and to not need to hear and believe the Gospel. The reality is that God is sovereign, so we are all under His law and are obligated to refrain from doing what it reveals to be sin. While the law was only given to Israel, it was given to Israel in order to equip them to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel.

In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that God's law is not too difficult for us to keep and that keeping it brings life and a blessing while not keeping it brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as something that we are unable to keep. Furthermore, Romans 10:5-8 references Deuteronomy 30:10-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim, which is the word of faith that you just denied. In 1 John 5:3, to love God is to keep His commandments, which are not burdensome, so you are also denying that anyone has ever loved God and that His commandments are not burdensome. Moreover, there are many examples of people who did keep God's law, such as those in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14. God's law is a ministration of life for those who choose to keep it and the fact that it is a ministration of death for those who refuse to keep it is not a very good reason to refuse to keep it.

The command is not to have at least one day of rest, but to rest on the 7th day in memorial of when God rested after Creation.
Deu 30:11 For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Paul explains what that verse means:

Rom 10:1Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.” 6But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8But what does it say? The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The law was a schoolmaster to bring to Christ. Even the righteousness which comes by the Old law could not save anyone to what the law of the righteousness of faith attains.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So The yoke that the Jews could not bear you want to put on believers.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. You're mistaken in that assertion.

Look at what Jesus actually said on the sermon on the mount, and who he said it to,

Matthew 5: 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

John 8: 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 ¶ They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

The Jews had been conquered by both the Greeks and the Romans yet the Pharisees still claimed to be independent. They repeatedly denied reality in their hatred of Jesus. They chose not to be freed from sin of their own volition.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Deu 30:11 For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Paul explains what that verse means:

Rom 10:1Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.” 6But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8But what does it say? The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The law was a schoolmaster to bring to Christ. Even the righteousness which comes by the Old law could not save anyone to what the law of the righteousness of faith attains.
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is righteousness and eternal life for all who believe (John 17:3).

So God's law leads us to Christ because it was given to teach us how to know him, but does not lead us to Christ so that we can then reject everything he taught and go back to living in sin. Someone who disregarded everything that their schoolmaster taught them after they graduated would be missing the whole point of a schoolmaster.

In Romans 9:30-10:4, the Israelites had a zeal for God, but it was not based on knowing Him, so they did not obtain righteousness because they misunderstood the goal of the law by pursuing the law as through righteousness were earned as the result of their works in order to establish their own instead of pursuing the law as through righteousness were by faith in Christ, for knowing Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. In Romans 10:5-10, Paul referenced Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that the Mosaic Law is not too difficult to obey, that the one who obeys it will attain life by it, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God raised him from the dead. Our salvation is from sin and it is by the Mosaic Law that we have knowledge of what sin ism so the position that Gentiles don't need to obey is the position that Gentiles don't need salvation.

No, in Acts 15:10-11, it makes it clear that the yoke that no one could bear was not the Mosaic Law, but a means of salvation that is an alternative to salvation by grace, namely salvation by circumcision that was proposed by the men from Judea in Acts 15:1. The purpose for which God commanded circumcision was not in order to become saved, so the Jerusalem Council upheld the Mosaic Law by correctly ruling against requiring circumcision for an incorrect purpose. If the Jerusalem Council had been referring to the Mosaic Law as being a burden that no one could bear, then they would have been in direct disagreement with Deuteronomy 30:11-20 and Romans 10:5-8, which affirm that the Mosaic Law is not too difficult for us to obey. Likewise, in 1 John 5:3, it affirms that to love God is to obey His commandments, which are not burdensome, so if Acts 15:10 has been referring to the Mosaic Law, then that would mean that they were ruling that Gentiles shouldn't love God and that His commandments are too burdensome.

Furthermore, the Psalms express an extremely positive view of obeying the Mosaic Law, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of obeying the Mosaic Law, then we will share it as Paul did (Romans 7:12), which is incompatible with viewing it as being a burden that no one could bear. For example, in Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who delight in the Mosaic Law and who meditate on it day and night, so we can't believe in the truth of these words as Scripture while not allowing them to shape our view of obeying the Mosaic Law. The NT authors should not be interpreted as though they held a view of the Mosaic Law that is incompatible with what they considered to be Scripture.

Upvote 0

Apr 20, 2018
Wilmington, DE
✟18,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. You're mistaken in that assertion.

Look at what Jesus actually said on the sermon on the mount, and who he said it to,

Matthew 5: 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

John 8: 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 ¶ They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

The Jews had been conquered by both the Greeks and the Romans yet the Pharisees still claimed to be independent. They repeatedly denied reality in their hatred of Jesus. They chose not to be freed from sin of their own volition.
The righteousness which exceeds the self-righteousness of the Pharisees is the righteousness which comes by faith. The Jews were in bondage under the Mosaic law and the sin of breaking that law kept them in bondage as servant to it. However, under the law of faith there is a mediator who can still forgive when we sin. The Jews never had that.

Upvote 0