United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DAY 235

Ezra 3 through 5
Haggai 1 and 2

Hmm ... I seem to fail to remember anything at all that happens in Haggai, or what it was generally about, so this should be an interesting read.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟220,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Haggai's a book in the Bible? :laughing:

I shouldn't say that. But I've never read it. There's a few of the smaller prophet books I've never read & forget are canon! Bad!
Looking at the OT list, Zephaniah & Zechariah are a couple more.
The prophet books can be confusing what they are prophesying about, did the prophecy happen yet, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,012,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ezra 3 through 5
Haggai 1 and 2

Hmm ... I seem to fail to remember anything at all that happens in Haggai, or what it was generally about, so this should be an interesting read.

Oh, I was mistaken a few days ago. it wasn't Ezra that was a prophecy book, but Haggai, although they are both concerned with the same point in Israel's history, the rebuilding of the temple after the Lord return them from exile in Babylon, and the people of some rival nations' attempt to thwart the rebuilding. Haggai the prophet was sent by the Lord to rebuke and encourage the Israelites when they were at first giving in to these adversaries' attempts to threaten them into ceasing rebuilding by decree of, if I remember correctly offhand, Artaxerxes the then king of Persia, as seen just now in Ezra 4 and 5.

Here is the MEV Bible's summary of what the book of Haggai is about ->

Written in approximately 520 BC by the prophet Haggai, the theme of the book is the first rebuilding of the temple. Haggai, a contemporary of Zechariah, was one of the first post-captivity prophets. His ministry was to rebuke the returned exiles for their delay in rebuilding the temple as well as to encourage them to begin working to consecrate the sacrificial system. The five messages that make up the book are unique in that they are precisely dated - the year, month, and day are specified based on the reign of the Persian king, Darius. The small book can be divided according to the five messages - two of rebuke and three of encouragement. Haggai prophesied that the glory of the restored temple would prosper the land and provide for the final overthrow of the surrounding nations.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,012,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Verses of note today with me are the first two of Psalms 32, no doubt tied to the theme of forgiveness for the inequities some Israelites were guilty of at the time of their returning from the exile, in Ezra 9 and 10 (surrounding nations in Old Testament history seemed notorious for practicing some really devilish rituals and customs, thus roping the Israelites who married from their families into those customs) ->

1 Blessed is the one
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord does not count against them
and in whose spirit is no deceit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,012,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Concerning the first few chapters of Job, consider this insight that others have posted about it in a previous Bible reading thread that I once made
->

I did also wonder about something new that I noticed in Job 4, where Eliphaz spoke of this ->
“A word was secretly brought to me,
my ears caught a whisper of it.
13 Amid disquieting dreams in the night,
when deep sleep falls on people,
14 fear and trembling seized me
and made all my bones shake.
15 A spirit glided past my face,
and the hair on my body stood on end.
16 It stopped,
but I could not tell what it was.
A form stood before my eyes,
and I heard a hushed voice:
17 ‘Can a mortal be more righteous than God?
Can even a strong man be more pure than his Maker?

Did some kind of spirit really appear before him to tell him all of this?
Or, was it all just a part of the picture that Eliphaz wanted to paint in his poetic response to Job's laments from chapter 3, all leading up to what Eliphaz seems to want to ultimately say to Job, that he believes the entirely innocent are not subject to calamity or misfortune, thus Job despite his being "blameless and upright" before God, must have done something bad to deserve chastisement from Him?
Of course, Eliphaz turns out to be wrong in this assessment.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,012,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The prevailing theme in today's reading definitely seems to be our mortality - and also imperfection (perhaps that sin and imperfection is precisely what made us mortal in the first place, if I am understanding the story of Adam and Eve's fall in the Garden of Eden correctly in the first place) - before God.

Job, his friend Zophar, and Psalms 39 all seem to be musing on this, anyway.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0