USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have no TV. I have my computer. I always have either Amazing Facts, on or 3ABN, or Hope channels on. Mostly Dough Bachelor. l I like him, he doesn't scream. I do not like pastors that scream! I know, everyone has their own style, everyone like a certain way of preaching. I just happen to like the quieter ones! To each their own. It's the message that counts. Sometimes the screamers have an excellent message also.
I was raised an SDA, left the church for over 35 years, went totally out into the world and studied every religion out there, even got into occult and Tarot reading, then came back---no other denomination is as biblical, I couldn't be anything else. I've encountered some ex-SDA, when I grilled them, they didn't know their doctrines so I know they were never actual SDA, they didn't pay attention to what was being taught. It is the bible first and foremost. And that is why I stay in it. Take the word as it is no twisting. Just keep in the word, do as God says. I've never been happier even though I've been in hospice for over 2 years!
I feel the same way, I like pastors who talk to you and not at you. The message though is the most important part and that it matches with scriptures.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@SabbathBlessings They have a live channel on YouTube too. I think that may be my choice of viewing today while I do all the things I didn't do yesterday...like the awful putting away laundry thing.
I watch him on YouTube too. I do like the app though when I am in the car or doing chores

God bless!

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all! I ran across a guy named Doug Batchelor on YouTube. He's a Seventh Day Adventist and I've been listening/watching him. It is becoming clear to me that I can easily agree with the beliefs. Any advice?

TIA

They are much into vegetarian diet right? I don't really find that in the Bible, but it's probably good for your health. We are just not to make religion out of it. :)

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They are much into vegetarian diet right? I don't really find that in the Bible, but it's probably good for your health. We are just not to make religion out of it. :)
A lot of SDA's are vegetarian but not all of them. The reasoning is that God never intended for us to eat meats and that was not introduced until sin. In heaven, we also will not slaughter animals for food, so it is the Garden of Eve diet and has been proven to live ten years longer. Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

The ones who do eat meats eat from the clean foods from the biblical health guidelines in Deuteronomy 14.

Hope this helps.

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A lot of SDA's are vegetarian but not all of them. The reasoning is that God never intended for us to eat meats and that was not introduced until sin. In heaven, we also will not slaughter animals for food, so it is the Garden of Eve diet and has been proven to live ten years longer. Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

The ones who do eat meats eat from the clean foods from the biblical health guidelines in Deuteronomy 14.

Hope this helps.

God bless!

Yeah, we just don't see vegetarianism by in NT, even Jesus ate meat. Not saying it's a bad thing though. Even thought about becomning a weekday vegetarian myself.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, we just don't see vegetarianism by in NT, even Jesus ate meat. Not saying it's a bad thing though. Even thought about becomning a weekday vegetarian myself.
It was already explained why, it's not a requirement, for those who do, choose to. Eating clean foods is though. God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It was already explained why, it's not a requirement, for those who do choose to. Eating clean foods is though. God bless!

Yes, but I'm not buying the idea that it's the best thing since that is how it was in the garden of eden, or that we are vegetarians in heaven. We don't know that. Jesus even ate fish in his glorified body. Also possibly what was best for Adam and Eve may not be best for our fallen bodies.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but I'm not buying the idea that it's the best thing since that is how it was in the garden of eden, or that we are vegetarians in heaven. We don't know that. Jesus even ate fish in his glorified body. Also possibly what was best for Adam and Eve may not be best for our fallen bodies.
It's been proven to be beneficial and the SDA's are the only group in the US that was part of the Blue Zones and lives 10 years longer.

There will be no more death in Heaven, so I am not sure how we would be killing animals and eating meat.

Revelations 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm already mostly vegetarian/vegan. The only meat I eat is chicken. Getting rid of it and substituting beans would not be an issue for me at all. A 5 pound bag of rice and a couple of 2 pound bags of beans and I can eat for at least a month. All I'd need is cheese, salsa and sour cream, maybe a little guacamole if I'm feeling fancy. Yes, I am Latina and I fit most of the stereotypes...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟391,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I made some fresh guacamole the other day. My first attempt. It came out great. I grew up on vegetarian meat substitutes, but we were meat eaters too. I had tried to go full vegetarian a few times, but couldn't let go of my meat addiction. It wasn't until I came up with vegetarian meals to replace my favorites that I found success. I've been vegetarian for a while now, almost a year. It might be easier for you though, if that's what you're aiming for, since you only eat chicken now anyway.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm already mostly vegetarian/vegan. The only meat I eat is chicken. Getting rid of it and substituting beans would not be an issue for me at all. A 5 pound bag of rice and a couple of 2 pound bags of beans and I can eat for at least a month. All I'd need is cheese, salsa and sour cream, maybe a little guacamole if I'm feeling fancy. Yes, I am Latina and I fit most of the stereotypes...

the SDA statement of belief says that we do not eat what Lev 11 calls "unclean meat" it does not say that we are vegan or vegetarian. So while it is true that our denomination promotes a vegetarian diet as better than one that includes the clean animals in Lev 11, and also that we say that plant-based vegan diet is the most ideal - it is not a requirement. It is not very often that you will find church potlucks that are strictly vegan. usually they are vegetarian as opposed to vegan.

So you may attend a church and find that the pastor and some church leaders like some of the Elders - do eat meat at times. Or you may find that the Pastor and all the Elders are strict vegetarian but not all of them are vegan. Individual choices.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Well there are a lot of health studies out today outlining the problem with consuming animal protein and the various health conditions that result from it over time. Also the "blue zones" study found only 5 on Earth where people in a given region live on average ten years longer than the general population, and the SDA community near Loma Linda California is one of them. Health studies continue to reveal the benefits of vegan and of vegetarian diets - and these are not at all limited to SDA efforts/connections etc.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well there are a lot of health studies out today outlining the problem with consuming animal protein and the various health conditions that result from it over time. Also the "blue zones" study found only 5 on Earth where people in a given region live on average ten years longer than the general population, and the SDA community near Loma Linda California is one of them. Health studies continue to reveal the benefits of vegan and of vegetarian diets - and these are not at all limited to SDA efforts/connections etc.

I have never heard of these "blue zones". Maybe something to check up on.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard of these "blue zones". Maybe something to check up on.

The Blue Zone Study and Seventh-day Adventists - Seventh-day Adventist Diet

Blue Zone - Wikipedia.

from that wiki page:
"Blue Zones are regions of the world where a higher than usual number of people live much longer than average. The term first appeared in Dan Buettner's November 2005 National Geographic magazine cover story, "The Secrets of a Long Life".[1] Five "Blue Zones" have been posited: Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece); and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California, based on evidence showing why these populations live healthier and longer lives than others.[2][3][4]
"

• Informative
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Blue Zone Study and Seventh-day Adventists - Seventh-day Adventist Diet

Blue Zone - Wikipedia.

from that wiki page:
"Blue Zones are regions of the world where a higher than usual number of people live much longer than average. The term first appeared in Dan Buettner's November 2005 National Geographic magazine cover story, "The Secrets of a Long Life".[1] Five "Blue Zones" have been posited: Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece); and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California, based on evidence showing why these populations live healthier and longer lives than others.[2][3][4]
"

From what I see there may be other reasons than just right diet.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Yes, we know. Nothing dies on the new earth---there is no death. Genesis clearly states what the animals were given for food, and man also. It states what all were to eat
Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

You do not have to buy that is what man and animals ate---the word of God says so. You also do not have to "buy" that vegetarianism is a healthier option--- You are free to ignore all the research, also. God created us, He knows what is best for us. You are free to disagree with Him,.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟896,512.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we know. Nothing dies on the new earth---there is no death. Genesis clearly states what the animals were given for food, and man also. It states what all were to eat
Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

You do not have to buy that is what man and animals ate---the word of God says so. You also do not have to "buy" that vegetarianism is a healthier option--- You are free to ignore all the research, also. God created us, He knows what is best for us. You are free to disagree with Him,.

I didn't say vegetarianism isn't an healthier option. I just said the Bible isn't a good argument for it. Do you find any NT scripture that supports vegetarianism? OT is useful, but the NT is our heart, if you know what I mean? Also how many books in the OT do we find that support vegetarianism?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say vegetarianism isn't an healthier option. I just said the Bible isn't a good argument for it. Do you find any NT scripture that supports vegetarianism? OT is useful, but the NT is our heart, if you know what I mean? Also how many books in the OT do we find that support vegetarianism?

I agree that the NT does not call for vegetarianism and the Sacrificial system in the OT made it out of the question for the Jews at times like Passover etc.

But we don't see mankind given animals to eat until Gen 8 and we don't see the drastic shrink in lifespans until after Gen 7. And of course Gen 1 does point to a vegetarian diet for mankind.

Upvote 0