Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I notice there are a lot of Reformed Baptists who have posted intros here. I was thinking about the differences between Reformed thology and Anabaptist as each would relate to the petition about marriage discussed in another thread. I was wondering whether Reformed Baptists differ from other Baptists and Anabaptists WRT church/state issues.

As I understand it, Reformed theology tends toward promoting theocracy a la Calvin's Geneva, while Anabaptist theology emphasizes expanding the Kingdom of God without coercion. Anabaptists, if they involve themselves with politics at all, generally do so in advocating for greater freedom and against all oppression. Anabaptists would not petition the government to make a law aimed at forcing or coercing non-Christians to live like Christians in their personal and family lives.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a distinction between public and private spheres. Anabaptists might, for example, take a political stand against slavery, since it is a form of oppression that may be supported by law, even though practiced in the private sphere. It is a matter of giving freedom for all people to align themselves with the Kingdom of God without forcing it on anyone.

I see this as a distinction between Anabaptist and Reformed (as well as Roman Catholic and other theologies that include the concept of "Christendom") theology. Reformed Baptists (I think) adopt some aspects of Anabaptist theology and some aspects of Reformed theology. Could some of you who are either Reformed Baptist or some other kind of Baptist who leans toward Reformed theology explain what aspects of Reformed theology you adopt and what aspects of Anabaptist theology you hold, and how you reconcile the two? Do you really just adopt Reformed theology but call yourselves Baptist because you don't baptize infants?

:confused: Can anyone explain? :confused:

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Crazy Liz said:
Could some of you who are either Reformed Baptist or some other kind of Baptist who leans toward Reformed theology explain what aspects of Reformed theology you adopt and what aspects of Anabaptist theology you hold, and how you reconcile the two? Do you really just adopt Reformed theology but call yourselves Baptist because you don't baptize infants?
1) On issues of church and state it seems most RB's tend to be more on the anabaptist side, though the issue typically does not come up all that much.

2) RB's typically just take the soteriology and parts of the sacramental theology from paedobaptist reformed theology. In addition, we often soak up some of the more attitude related qualities of the broader reformed world as well such as an emphasis on history and confessionalism.

3) You can look up the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith as it gives a good overview of what RB's generally stand for. You'll find it pretty similar to the presbyterian Westminster confession.

ken

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reformed Baptists are peratty much in line with the rest of Reformed Christianity. (with the exception of infant baptism)

RB's are Calvinists, all 5 points I believe. The London Baptist Confession of Faith 1769 porpbably shows what RB's believe pretty well.

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks.. I wasn't completly sure when I posted it.

The London Baptist Confessioon of Faith 1689 (did I get it right? :p) is just about the same as the Westminster Confession of Faith. It seems to me the only difference is in the parts dealing with infant baptism.

Upvote 0

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Bulldog said:
The London Baptist Confessioon of Faith 1689 (did I get it right? :p) is just about the same as the Westminster Confession of Faith. It seems to me the only difference is in the parts dealing with infant baptism.
I think that is the main difference. There may be a few more but I'm not really sure... Someone wrote a paper on the subject but I don't know where it is...

ken

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.