United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John 4:1-42

In this story:

The Woman at the Well: Thirsty for Truth

(1) Jews weren't supposed to speak to Samaritans. (2) Men weren't permitted to address women without their husbands present. And (3) rabbis had no business speaking to shady ladies such as this one. Jesus was willing to toss out the rules, but our woman at the well wasn't. "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman," she reminded him. "How can you ask me for a drink?" (John 4:9).

She focused on the law; Jesus focused on grace.

Thoughts?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me that there are two possible ways to read Jesus' attitude to "the rules" here.

Either "the rules" were wrong and could be ignored because they were irrelevant.

Or "the rules" were right, at least some of the time, but for Jesus' particular purpose could be set aside in order to achieve something more important (the conversion of the town).

I prefer the first of those options, partly because I think that's more consistent with the gospel as a whole, and partly because I don't think Jesus would have done something otherwise wrong and used and "ends justifies the means" type approach to ethical reasoning.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did not care much for the article. It seemed to superficial.

I have (for several years) considered this woman got a raw deal from christian commentators - calling her an adulteress or a prostitute. And I think the story is very proper for an opener in this new folder.

First off - Samaritan culture was very different from Jewish culture. The women in that culture had NO SAY whatsoever in matters of marriage and divorce. (the women had a LOT of say in Jewish culture in the first century) The girl's father and or older brothers arranged marriages. The husband could divorce a woman for no reason whatsoever. (in Jewish culture there had to be verifiable grounds) The most common reason was infertility. In the case of a divorced woman, the ex husband would arrange another marriage for her. (or not - his choice)

So this woman who had been divorced several times was now living with someone who took her in. She was most likely a slave in that household. Her only other alternative for livelihood would have been prostitution. If she had been guilty of adultery or some other overt sin, the Lord would have said so - probably with the same language He addressed the woman caught in adultery in Jn 8: "Neither do I condemn you - go and sin no more."

Now to the fact that Our Lord broke with convention and spoke to her. All thru HIS ministry on earth, He resisted the human extensions to the rules of Torah. The prohibitions on dealing with Samaritans and women you were not married to were no different.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,031,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I always found the story to be inspiring, in that God can use any of us at anytime to be evangelists for the Gospel. We can be the meanest of the mean, but God can still use us - and wants to use us - to further the Gospel. He reaches out to us where we are, here and now.

Perhaps this isn't the most theological interpretation, but it is very profound to me that's God chose (and still chooses) to do this.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always found the story to be inspiring, in that God can use any of us at anytime to be evangelists for the Gospel. We can be the meanest of the mean, but God can still use us - and wants to use us - to further the Gospel. He reaches out to us where we are, here and now.
Amen. Someone who was literally at the very bottom of Samaritan society was selected and used by God to bring the Gospel to her entire people.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@DaveW-Ohev, if I may ask... I've never had any real contact with the Messianic community. Are they generally egalitarian in approach?
Good question. We reflect to a large part the greater Jewish community. IOW there are those that lean toward the Orthodox (which are rather paternalistic) and there are the Reform which are very egalitarian.

Most of us in the Messianic movement ride somewhere between those points but there are some congregations at either end as well.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps this isn't the most theological interpretation, but it is very profound to me that's God chose (and still chooses) to do this.

So true. Where we are he reaches out for us...despite the cruelty of the world.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The husband could divorce a woman for no reason whatsoever. (in Jewish culture there had to be verifiable grounds)

How do you know about this? Any references?

AFAIK, there is no textual differences in the matter of "get" between Samaritan Torah and Jewish counterpart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you know about this? Any references?
I have a book (or had - not sure if it came back or not) by a woman whose name escapes me at the moment. It was called something like "An Orthodox Jew looks at the Gospels."

I will look and see if it is back in my library

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have a book (or had - not sure if it came back or not) by a woman whose name escapes me at the moment. It was called something like "An Orthodox Jew looks at the Gospels."

I will look and see if it is back in my library

Do you support egalitarianism concerning relation between husband & wife?

Upvote 0