Cicero, NY
✟9,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
YHWH basically means ‘to cause to breathe.’ YHWH gives life through His breath.

The name YHWH existed more than 1000+ years before any known nations were established, however, many nations knew of the god named YHWH and seem to have adopted the name into their arsenal of gods.

The pronunciation is done with an exhaling breath, as all the letters are actually vowels…
ee- eh- oo- eh- (Yeh-weh, or yeh-oo-eh)
Do you have any links for the History of YHWH as you’ve posted here. I find it very interesting. The things you’ve written make a lot of sense to me as an Orthodox Christian because in our tradition we talk about how parts of the truth of God are found in all religions due to the fact that all ancient religions would have been derived from the true faith of God before being perverted by Satan. You can see that happening with Caine and Abel. This view makes the most sense to me as a Christian and that stands in sharp contrast to the world’s historical view that attempts to paint the Jewish/Christian faith as being birthed out of the pagan religions of their time. Like the Creator was somehow second on the scene following Satan.

As far as the names of God, Israel’s fear of breaking the third commandment and the use of LORD instead, and all of the conversation surrounding the various meanings of God’s names etc. Those names really are more in line of revelations of who God is in a given situation towards His people as they grow and mature vs a name as we experience as humans. So as they mature and are able to handle more knowledge and relationship with God we see the name sort of evolve with the people’s understanding. Some takeaways that may help. Jesus says no man knows the Father but the Son. No one has ever seen the Father and that the Father is Spirit. Jesus also describes Himself as I AM in the Gospels, and The Almighty in Revelation. St. Paul talks about how everything was made through Christ and for Christ in Colossians and St. John describes how the Word of God (The Law of Moses and thus the Lawgiver) became flesh. Jesus talks about being Abraham’s friend and knowing him closely. So Jesus is also the LORD and all of the other names of God in the OT. Jesus (God is Salvation) is the fullest revelation of God to date and thus the most proper name as far as I understand things. Then add onto that the Father as the One that begot the Son and from Whom the Holy Spirit proceeds and we get the Trinitarian understanding to date. Without verification, I seem to remember Revelation saying something about His name after final judgement as being unknown to man, but don’t quote me on that.

Upvote 0