The Reformation Bible.

Khoram

Jul 8, 2007
✟7,612.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Technically and theologically, it is very good. The notes and commentary are excellent from a reformed perspective. I highly recommend it.

The one thing I dislike about it is that I got the ESV version, which, while I like the translation overall, does not capitalize divine pronouns. Maybe it's just a personal hang-up on my part. I believe it is also available in the NKJV as well.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have the ESV one and I agree that it's an excellent study Bible. Don't expect a lot of in-depth commentary for in-depth study. But it's very helpful for just your normal day-to-day reading.

Are there any study Bibles that truely have "in-depth commentary for in-depth study"? I don't think they would fit in anything less than a multi-volume Bible!

The way I see it, the best I look for is a Bible that doesn't have 'misleading' footnotes. The Reformation Study Bible has very helpful footnotes.

IMHO, the best study Bible is the Thompson Chain Reference. Seems to me that the footnotes are the least skewed, and it contains a wealth of Scriptural cross-references in it's extensive helps. (In a Thompson Chain Reference, Revelation is in the middle of the Bible...followed by about 600 pages of study guides including, but not limited to: a concordance, a harmony of the Gospels, a wide array of maps with Scriptural keys, analysis of Bible books, and an archeological suppliment.)

Upvote 0

xapis

Soli Deo gloria!
Jul 1, 2004
Lambsburg, VA
Visit site
✟10,964.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Are there any study Bibles that truely have "in-depth commentary for in-depth study"? I don't think they would fit in anything less than a multi-volume Bible!

^_^ ...good point. NO!

The way I see it, the best I look for is a Bible that doesn't have 'misleading' footnotes. The Reformation Study Bible has very helpful footnotes.

:amen:

...I have the old Liberty King James Study Bible which is systematically dispensational and "two-point Calvinist" (yeah... that sets my innards to boiling) through and through. I've used it for my daily reading and highlighting for years but I've just plain stopped looking at the study notes. The Reformation Study Bible has been a great alternative to my old standard.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have 2 - one NKJV and one NIV. While I prefer the NKJV translation the NIV has some really nice additional resources (Heidelberg Catechism, Westminster Confession, Westminster Shorter Catechism, Belgic Confession, Canons of Dort, Westminster Larger Catechism). Figuring the cost of buying all those individually it was a good deal.

edie

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I have 2 - one NKJV and one NIV. While I prefer the NKJV translation the NIV has some really nice additional resources (Heidelberg Catechism, Westminster Confession, Westminster Shorter Catechism, Belgic Confession, Canons of Dort, Westminster Larger Catechism). Figuring the cost of buying all those individually it was a good deal.

edie
But the Reformation Study Bible doesn't come in NIV. Could that one be the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible?

If so, and translations aside, which of the two do you like better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
But the Reformation Study Bible doesn't come in NIV. Could that one be the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible?

If so, and translations aside, which of the two do you like better?

Sorry - I just saw this.

It is the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible that I have in NIV - so far I haven't found any differences in the "helps" only in the translation.

I use the Reformation Study Bible for my regular reading/study (my church uses NASB and the NKJV is similar in wording). However, if I'm in a situation where I want to reference one of the confessions I use the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
My preference is the ESV Study Bible, which tilts a little toward Reformed views, but isn't specifically Reformed. I prefer it because the notes and articles are much more complete, even though it is heavier and bulkier.

I also have a Reformation Study Bible in ESV, which is a pretty nice study bible in its own right. The notes only seem scanty when compared to the ESV Study Bible.

I'd like to add a Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible to my collection also, and I probably will eventually.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Technically and theologically, it is very good. The notes and commentary are excellent from a reformed perspective. I highly recommend it.

The one thing I dislike about it is that I got the ESV version, which, while I like the translation overall, does not capitalize divine pronouns. Maybe it's just a personal hang-up on my part. I believe it is also available in the NKJV as well.

When I got my ESV bible I noticed that too! It must be just a personal hangup on my part...but it did tweak me a bit.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love the Reformation Study Bible. I have the ESV version. I have the Macarthur Study bible NKJV, which I am growing very attached to, as well. My wife has the ESV study bible which is great.

They are all good resources. I also have the complete unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary to consider when needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I love the Reformation Study Bible. I have the ESV version. I have the Macarthur Study bible NKJV, which I am growing very attached to, as well. My wife has the ESV study bible which is great.

They are all good resources. I also have the complete unabridged Matthew Henry's Commentary to consider when needed.

I do to--mine's a New Geneva Study Bible but I think they just changed the name when they went to the ESV. The New Geneva Study Bible is a NKJV.

I also have a 6 volume Matthew Henry Commentary that has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. Whenever I have a question about what a verse means, I read what he has to say as his opinion is what the church held down through the ages.

If you're ever having a bad day, reading Matthew Henry's comments on a favorite Psalm is comforting. I believe Charles Spurgeon said everyone should read Matthew Henry's commentary through at least once in their life. God truly grated him great wisdom and understanding.

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟35,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Seems like I have to check it out. I have the ESV study bible and noticed the ESV doesn't capitalize divine pronouns. I find it annoying, but can live with it if the rest of the bible is good.

Upvote 0