Farmington
✟27,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

The Need of Reformation Today, by Ernest C. Reisinger (1919-2004) from "Reforming a Local Church"

Both the Bible and history record how the people of God are continually in need of self-examination and reformation. But in every case of reformation there first had to be a recognition of the need for reformation. Nehemiah had to be informed by Hanani that the walls of salvation were broken down and the gates of praise were burned with fire—a great need, and what a beautiful example of reformation. Isaiah, Jeremiah and Hosea were all reformers. Habakkuk saw the sad condition. He asked God, “Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention. Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth” (Hab 1:3-4). There was great need of reformation of the people of God; thus we have that wonderful little prayer for reformation in Habakkuk 3:2—“O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.” He saw the great need of reformation. This little verse shows us his fear, he was afraid, he heard an alarming voice that produced an appropriate prayer and a serious plea. This verse also has a potent argument for reformation—“in wrath remember mercy.” The psalmist saw the need for reformation, and many of his prayers for reformation are recorded. “Turn us [restore us], O God of our salvation” (85:4). Three times in Psalm 80 he cries, “Turn us again,” O God of hosts.

We could multiply texts and examples in almost every prophet in the Old Testament. In every case there had to be a recognition of the need. Too many people in the church do not know the marks of a true church, and therefore, see no need of reformation. However, every discerning minister and Christian would not question the need. Would not every discerning Christian agree that the church is having little spiritual influence in the world? No doctrinal foundation. No fixed objective standard of righteousness because the Ten Commandments are missing in most churches. The doctrinal foundations have been removed, or buried, in powerless ritualism. When the moral and doctrinal standards are removed, it leaves the church in a sea of confusion without a compass. The Bible asks the question, What can the righteous do if the foundations be removed? There is a desperate need for reformation of the church.

When men forsake the “old paths” it is needful to enquire for what reasons they are forsaken, and whether it is that they may have left the “good way” wherein alone they can find “rest unto their souls” (Jer 6:16). The question of mere majorities in religious matters is of relatively little value or importance. It was by a majority that the death of the Lord Jesus was achieved. It was by a majority that the early Church was forced to pass through its “baptisms of blood.” It was a majority which screamed itself hoarse with the cry “the Christians to the lions.”

Our Lord’s last words to the churches that needed to be reformed are found in His messages to the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3. These final messages reflect His deep love and concern for His Church. These messages are rich in instruction, warning, and comfort. These messages contain much that is very relevant for reforming churches on the contemporary scene. Many churches are sleeping the sleep of death. Some are more sound asleep than others. Some are like Laodicea—they think they have need of nothing, but in truth they are pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. In spite of the sad condition, there are always some children of light living among the dead. When Jesus said to strengthen the things that remain, He knew that there were some that could be strengthened.

The Bible and history record many accounts of reformation. Sometimes whole communities, and in a few cases, whole nations have been affected by reformation.

How does reformation come about? First, the cause is always from above. That is the divine side. But it is just as true that there is always, always, always human instruments on earth involved. That is the human side, or the means God uses. The cause is God; the means is man.
How is a church reformed—revived? How do churches come alive? Always with human instruments who are dead serious about the work of God and the Word of God. Men who are bent on success. Men who plow and sow in faith, hope, and love. Men who labour and bear the burden and the heat of the day. Men who have much patience—who wait for the precious fruit of the earth and have long patience. Men who lay solid foundations for future generations with an eye fixed on eternity. Men with some Holy Ghost boldness and determination. Men of prayer. Prayer is work—fervent prayer. Men of solemn deportment—no frivolity, no gaiety—sober-minded men.

Do you want to know what it looks like in the making? You will see a faithful minister of Christ, surrounded by a small band of praying ones, leading in the battle against the power of darkness. You will see not a lot of pomp, no display, no carnal attractions. You will see not a platform artist, a master gimmick maker, or a manipulator of crowds. These things sure make a show but they will not bring a church alive.

Oh, for some men with a deep yearning for God and for souls.

John Knox, in his old age, was helped into the pulpit by friends, but when he arose to preach, the Spirit of God’s love burned in his heart in such a fashion that an attendant said, “So mighty was he in his yearning that I thought he would break the pulpit in bits.”

One of the purposes of this pamphlet is to encourage the reformation of churches. Encourage preachers to lay biblical foundations, to encourage them to count the cost. It is the duty of all true men to labor and pray for reformation, and the privilege to hope for and expect reformation. It has already begun. It is going on right now.

If men in every reformation were abused, misunderstood, misrepresented, reviled, persecuted, ostracized, and excommunicated from organized religion, suffered mental and physical agony, and many times death, how can we expect to see reformation without cost (Luke, chapters 9 and 14)?

What will it cost young Pastors?

1. Denominational popularity and public approval. The work of reformation is not the way to climb the denominational ladder.

2. They will, at times, be in that awful task of tearing down some false super-structure that has been built without a doctrinal foundation. This super-structure was built by cheap, shallow, man-centered evangelism.

3. They may have to suffer at the hands of a large, unregenerate church membership, and especially from unregenerate and religiously ignorant deacons and leaders.

4. They may also have to suffer the pain of being misunderstood by the church leaders, fellow ministers, and, more painful still, sometimes by their own loved ones (wives who do not understand their husband’s position).

5. Sacrifice financially, especially in some cases where carnal and ignorant church leaders will use money as a threat to drive preachers from the pulpit.

But along with these and other costs there comes the joy of a conscience void of offence before God and man. What is that worth?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you see this applying to our mainline churches today? I can imagine that you might be talking about the work of racial reconciliation, or the distractions of YouTube preachers, or the need for a deeper relationship with God as a foundation for all that we do -- but I'm not sure which of these you're focusing on. What kind of reformation do you have in mind?

On the cost to young pastors: If a pastor really is able to draw their congregation into a deeper, more vibrant faith in God, I don't envision resistance to that from the leadership in the mainline denominations. My bishop, for example, is delighted when she sees that kind of active faith in congregations. I expect the resistance would be more in the form of benign but stubborn comfortableness, congregations that are content and see no need to grow or change. Maybe, again, it depends on exactly what kind of reformation you're envisioning. Can you clarify?

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟27,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
How do you see this applying to our mainline churches today? I can imagine that you might be talking about the work of racial reconciliation, or the distractions of YouTube preachers, or the need for a deeper relationship with God as a foundation for all that we do -- but I'm not sure which of these you're focusing on. What kind of reformation do you have in mind?

On the cost to young pastors: If a pastor really is able to draw their congregation into a deeper, more vibrant faith in God, I don't envision resistance to that from the leadership in the mainline denominations. My bishop, for example, is delighted when she sees that kind of active faith in congregations. I expect the resistance would be more in the form of benign but stubborn comfortableness, congregations that are content and see no need to grow or change. Maybe, again, it depends on exactly what kind of reformation you're envisioning. Can you clarify?

That message is very general, I agree. Deeper fellowship with God is certainly one area. Rooting out false teaching, doctrines of devils, and sin in the church is another - and that one is badly needed.

As far as cost, I will give an extreme case example;
There are several churches today of varying denominations that have embraced LGBTQ+ agenda, in that they affirm people in their sins, and some even are in same sex "marriages" and perform them. Now say the pastor or even assistant pastor, Bishop, or someone in the leadership suddenly gets the conviction of the Holy Spirit on these matters, repents and renounces them, and then begins to preach in church accordingly. My prayer would be the congregants repent, however, we both know that's likely not what will happen.

Back in the 80s a church I was involved with adopted the name it/claim it prosperity doctrine. It was Assembly of God. One of the elders wrote 600 letters to the congregants exposing the heresy of the Pastors teachings. the Pastor then invited a radical extremist in to preach who told the congregation "Anyone who speaks a word against your pastor must be resisted, even to the point of punching them in the mouth. Your pastor is the final authority on matters of scripture, and God has placed him here...etc, etc"

The Assembly of God gave space to repent and the Pastor refused. The church split about half and half. I ended up attending a small independent Pentecostal church with 50 - 75 people. the Assembly of God kicked the sinning schurch out of the fellowship, so it had to become independent. It did grow to over 1000 members, even a television ministry, and was in the process of planting another church with the same doctrine in 1996 when the pastor suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack at age 54. He started his heretical preaching in 1986 or 87.

The church today is again an Assembly of God church.

One man stood his ground, spoke up on the heretical teachings, was basically cursed and not welcome back in the church. The fruits of wickedness exposed themselves, and God cut off a wayward pastor.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Back in the 80s a church I was involved with adopted the name it/claim it prosperity doctrine. It was Assembly of God. One of the elders wrote 600 letters to the congregants exposing the heresy of the Pastors teachings. the Pastor then invited a radical extremist in to preach who told the congregation "Anyone who speaks a word against your pastor must be resisted, even to the point of punching them in the mouth. Your pastor is the final authority on matters of scripture, and God has placed him here...etc, etc"

The Assembly of God gave space to repent and the Pastor refused. The church split about half and half.

This does not seem like a good path to reformation, on either side. Writing letters to all the parishioners criticizing the pastor is a good way to sow ill-feeling in the church, but I don't see how it would persuade the pastor to change his mind. The response, talking about "final authority" and "punching them in the mouth", is also going to sow ill-feeling without persuading anybody. From what you've described, no one was actually persuaded of anything, no reform happened, and there was a schism that lasted until the pastor died.

I think that genuine reform needs to involve actual persuasion of others. The speaker has to be emphatic enough that they're actually making a point (so, not just comfortably complacent), but also practicing enough listening and compassion that other people can be open to what the speaker is saying. It's a challenging balance.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0