Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi everyone,

This is an email I sent to many of my friends. I just thought I'd share it here =)

A while back, I came across passage from Matt 13:44-46 which said a lot about the kingdom of heaven:

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and SOLD ALL HE HAD and BOUGHT THAT FIELD. "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and SOLD EVERYTHING HE HAD and bought it. (Matt 13:44-46)

Did you read it? Are you sure!? Please make sure you read it thoroughly. Re-read it if necessary. :)

Uponing reading it I thought to myself, "Jesus is telling us that a rich man sold everything he had for something better." And then I wondered to myself, "Can anything be so valuable as to give up everything for something so great?" Of course! Practically it sounds like God's telling us to surrender everything we have for Him, since he doesn't want us worshipping idols. This is what I've always believed and I'm sure many would agree. Amen?

Is this really what it's saying? It think so. But I think there's something deeper going on. Read on if you'd like! :)

A few weeks ago, a missionary from Hong Kong came to my church and shared about her ministry to the poor. She reaches out to all the 'rejects' in society and turns them into Godly people =) One time, a 3-day-old believer and a 1-day-old believer were with her reading this particular passage. What amazes me is that these simple men (who were drug addicts before turning to Christ) were filled with the Spirit of God and they understood this passage is an incredible way. Here's what I mean:

It's so common to hear people say things like, "I know. The pearl and the treasure is Jesus, and we're supposed to be like the rich man giving up everything for that the pearl/treasure".

But one of the believers (he's a new believer with NO knowledge of the Bible, other than the gospel basics) understood Matt 13:44-46 in a whole new way and said this: No, that's wrong. The rich man is JESUS! And WE are the fine pearls of great value!

With that in mind, please read this passage again:

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure [that's us] hidden in a field. When a man [Jesus] found it, he hid it again, and then in HIS JOY went and SOLD ALL HE HAD and BOUGHT THAT FIELD. "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant [Jesus] looking for FINE PEARLS. When he found one of GREAT VALUE [that's us], he went away and SOLD EVERYTHING HE HAD and BOUGHT IT. (Matt 13:44-46)

I think this passage says a lot about God's unfathomable love for us. :)

You may be wondering: Is this biblical? I think so. Here's some reasoning behind it:

1) Jesus says scripture testifies of himself (John 5:39)
2) Jesus was RICH, yet he became poor for us (2 Cor 8:9)
3) Jesus BOUGHT US at a price (1 Cor 6:20, 1 Cor 7:23)

This intepretation really blew me away. It's so humbling to be taught the truth from ex-drug addicts who knew virtually NOTHING about scripture!! God certainly chooses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise (1 Cor 1:27). With all my intellectual knowledge of scripture, I hope God will continue to humble me so I may become 'foolish'.

I hope this was a blessing!

God bless you all!

-Jason