keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,057.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Last Of the Mohicans -- movie better than the book, cuz the book is in an old archaic style - I made myself read it because I liked the movie so much.

In a thread on another site that maintained that any adaptation was be definition not as good as the original work I was tempted to say what about anything by John Fenimore Cooper. He had some great ideas and some pretty poor ones.

BTW Twain who was from the same era had nothing good to say about Cooper's writing.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,057.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
ANY adaptation of Moby Dick is better than the book. This rule generally holds true for A Christmas Carol as well.

Actually, they came very close to making an adaptation of Moby Dick that would have been dreadful and surely worse than the book. But a key figure, I think the director they wanted, turned down the job because of a key change. They wanted to insert a love interest!

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One interesting duo is "To Have and To Have Not". They are completely different other than the man has a boat. The novel was written by Hemingway while the screenplay was by Faulkner - both powerhouse writers.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think I enjoyed the most recent Disney adaptation of The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe better then the book. I remember it being pretty faithful & visually impressive. I'll go ahead & be brave & say I liked the sequels better then the books they're adapted from too.

It's a shame there's still ones they haven't adapted. :(
Maybe someday :)

Upvote 0

Solum Aeternum

Jun 23, 2020
Bronx
✟16,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first Maze Runner. Despite the book having the obvious time to explain what's happening more than the book, the characters in the book are far more negative, meaner, the vocabulary is annoying to read and the big puzzle they needed to solve to escape the maze is far more simple in the movie.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We always hear that "the book was better than the movie." Somebody just said it to me, which prompted this question:

Are there any movies that were arguably better than the book?

I honestly can't think of one.
Journey to the Center of the Earth. The 50's movie was actually a better than the Verne book in many ways

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I enjoyed the most recent Disney adaptation of The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe better then the book. I remember it being pretty faithful & visually impressive. I'll go ahead & be brave & say I liked the sequels better then the books they're adapted from too.

It's a shame there's still ones they haven't adapted. :(
Maybe someday :)
Yeah, that series, especially the first one, does a lot better than the books. No disrespect to Lewis, the books are masterpieces, but the movies have such nice depth of story and killer visuals

Upvote 0