DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I often hear people say God has not given all the land to Isreal yet that he promised Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. And that is just one reason lots of people like to separate the church and Isreal claiming he is not finished with Isreal.

I have been bothered by the idea people think God has two households or two flocks of people since I see only one flock of people.

So what does scripture say about God's promise to Abraham, Issac and Jacob

Joshua 21:43
Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there.

Kings 8-56
“Blessed be the LORD who has given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised. Not one word has failed of all his good promise, which he spoke by Moses his servant.

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a little outside of my area of expertise, but isn't the word "forever" associated with "God, Israel and the Promised Land" somewhere among the OT verses on the subject?

I think those that get their panties in a bunch over Israel see a partial restoration of what God has PROMISED belongs to the children of Jacob forever.

Personally, I have trouble balancing the "forever" promises with the "curses" laid out for disobedience (in the OT) and balancing both (the Old Covenant) with the promises of the New Covenant that "now there is neither Greek or Jew" (we are one new people). So I just tread lightly on this "thin ice".

[Fortunately, I am not Jewish ... so it is not my job to figure out what God is doing with Jewish people. I have enough to keep me busy worrying about the New Covenant and those Ephesians 2:10 good works that God prepared in advance for me to be walking in.]

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a little outside of my area of expertise, but isn't the word "forever" associated with "God, Israel and the Promised Land" somewhere among the OT verses on the subject?
Indeed, and we learn in Hebrews 11:13-16 that "land forever" is not earthly land, but heavenly land, so that God did not fail in his promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
I think those that get their panties in a bunch over Israel see a partial restoration of what God has PROMISED belongs to the children of Jacob forever.

Personally, I have trouble balancing the "forever" promises with the "curses" laid out for disobedience (in the OT) and balancing both (the Old Covenant) with the promises of the New Covenant that "now there is neither Greek or Jew" (we are one new people). So I just tread lightly on this "thin ice".

[Fortunately, I am not Jewish ... so it is not my job to figure out what God is doing with Jewish people. I have enough to keep me busy worrying about the New Covenant and those Ephesians 2:10 good works that God prepared in advance for me to be walking in.]

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi the reaffirming of the covenant with Abraham and national Israel is a constant theme of end times prophecy and associated with many many prophecies that tell the same before and after story. In a debate if you went 1st I would concede that the new covenant is the only way to be saved (actually it always was the only way see Rev 5 where all there are redeemed by the blood of the lamb). I would agree that there is the spiritual kingdom of God and a spiritual Israel .
The debate would be focused that the two ideas are not incompatible and that the preponderance of the evidence in scripture declares the salvation of Israel at the 2nd coming and Christ reigns from Jerusalem 1000 years while Satan is bound and the kingdom set up at Armageddon has another confilct 1000 years later after Satan is loosed and that is when the great white throne and new Jerusalem and all takes place.

In Luke on the prophecy of Zacharias says that Jesus is going to be the horn of salvation for the house of Jacob and keep every promise, oath, covenant and prophecy that they would be delivered from their enemies and then dwell in safety and serve the LORD in holiness and righteousness all their days.

Now the 2nd coming in tech 14 shows the MT of Olives splitting in two and forming a new valley with specific boundaries and a new river that flows year round with one branch going east that would take it into the Dead Sea. The nations which are left now must come to Jerusalem and worship the king and keep the feast of Tabernacles or they get no rain. Now in Eze 47 the Dead Sea is promised to be healed and a great fishing area and the salt flats are mentioned as not being healed and at this same time the tribes of Israel receive their allotment in the known borders of the promised land. The healing in Chapter 47 is a direct result of the new river created at the 2nd coming.

If you look at Isaiah 61 the day of vengeance of our God again it is Zion focused and makes distinctions between the Jews and Gentiles and Israel is delivered at this time. This is all coming and futurist would expect the 3rd temple to come at a time when a one world government is forming for the man of sin to be revealed in and the beast to commit the abomination of desolation in. Now this reality is a very real current event as the nations are moving this exact theme forward at a time when the worlds, religions, corporations, media and government are merging into super regions and then they will give their authority to one man. The things in Rev that come upon the earth if future will be global and the momentum and direction of global economics does make Rev 6 seem very likely as real conditions over the whole earth. I can support all these arguments with over 100 clear passages that taken literally all say the same thing and support the futurist view and line up with current events.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi the reaffirming of the covenant with Abraham and national Israel is a constant theme of end times prophecy and associated with many many prophecies that tell the same before and after story. In a debate if you went 1st I would concede that the new covenant is the only way to be saved (actually it always was the only way see Rev 5 where all there are redeemed by the blood of the lamb). I would agree that there is the spiritual kingdom of God and a spiritual Israel .
The debate would be focused that the two ideas are not incompatible and that the preponderance of the evidence in scripture declares the salvation of Israel at the 2nd coming and Christ reigns from Jerusalem 1000 years while Satan is bound and the kingdom set up at Armageddon has another confilct 1000 years later after Satan is loosed and that is when the great white throne and new Jerusalem and all takes place.

In Luke on the prophecy of Zacharias says that Jesus is going to be the horn of salvation for the house of Jacob and keep every promise, oath, covenant and prophecy that they would be delivered from their enemies and then dwell in safety and serve the LORD in holiness and righteousness all their days.

Now the 2nd coming in tech 14 shows the MT of Olives splitting in two and forming a new valley with specific boundaries and a new river that flows year round with one branch going east that would take it into the Dead Sea. The nations which are left now must come to Jerusalem and worship the king and keep the feast of Tabernacles or they get no rain. Now in Eze 47 the Dead Sea is promised to be healed and a great fishing area and the salt flats are mentioned as not being healed and at this same time the tribes of Israel receive their allotment in the known borders of the promised land. The healing in Chapter 47 is a direct result of the new river created at the 2nd coming.

If you look at Isaiah 61 the day of vengeance of our God again it is Zion focused and makes distinctions between the Jews and Gentiles and Israel is delivered at this time. This is all coming and futurist would expect the 3rd temple to come at a time when a one world government is forming for the man of sin to be revealed in and the beast to commit the abomination of desolation in. Now this reality is a very real current event as the nations are moving this exact theme forward at a time when the worlds, religions, corporations, media and government are merging into super regions and then they will give their authority to one man. The things in Rev that come upon the earth if future will be global and the momentum and direction of global economics does make Rev 6 seem very likely as real conditions over the whole earth. I can support all these arguments with over 100 clear passages that taken literally all say the same thing and support the futurist view and line up with current events.
God told Miriam, in his defense of Moses, that while he speaks to Moses clearly, he speaks to the prophets in riddles (Numbers 12:8). Therefore, prophetic riddles are subject to interpretation, the only rule being that interpretation must be in agreement with NT apostolic teaching, which the above is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi in now way do the apostles teach that the promises to national Israel are void. That is an interpretation that has been leveled upon them by men and has been a long established flaw in the thinking of the church. The passages in Isaiah and psalm 22 and the like modern Jews use your interpretative rules to annul those as being literal. If you take the whole set as literal they are not in contradiction and set a before and after picture with a specific timeline. The laws of compound probability work and many have calculated the odds of Jesus performing exactly the things about him such as being born in Bethlehem called from Egypt being a Nazareen, ridden in a foal of donkey being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver with that money going to the house of the potter. Now we can see from just a few of those that the odds of all those being one guy are astronomical.

now if Daniels 70th week is future then when Daniel wrote it Israel lay in ruins with no temple and Daniel predicts that the Messiah will come 483 years from the order to rebuild and Jerusalem and its walls. Well 483 years later Jesus did ride in the foal of donkey to shouts of Hosanna. Daniels noted that the messiah would be cut off and not for himself and the people of the prince who shall come will put an end to the sacrifice in the middle of the week and they would destroy the temple and the sanctuary. Well Daniel was right Jesus was cut off and not for himself and indeed the city and sanctuary were destroyed so if the prince to come is speaking of the anti christ the compound probability would have the middle of the week stopping of the sacrifice be in a 3rd temple. Now we saw Israel scattered into all the nations for almost 1800 years and now they are back and the plans for a 3rd temple are real and it is a building for all faiths like the pope uniting the worlds religions the 3rd temple is setting up just as futurist would hold it. Daniels 70 weeks has 6 accomplishment listed for Daniels people and holy city. Now Daniel confessed the sins of his people national Israel in the beginning of this chapter and the holy city is Jerusalem. In your view everlasting righteousness was being destroyed in 70 ad. In my view this is accomplished as the 2nd coming and Jerusalem is exalted as the city of righteousness and the nations will be gathered to it. Daniels people are now saved and delivered by Jesus just as Luke 1 said. The very fact the 3rd temple is prepared for flies in the face of your concussion that it is not future.
This is like the ark almost finished and people not realizing that the flood was about to come.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, and we learn in Hebrews 11:13-16 that "land forever" is not earthly land, but heavenly land, so that God did not fail in his promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
Respectfully, the OT verses did not seem particularly "symbolic" or "obtuse" (like the visions and parables often are) ... they seem pretty literal and straight forward:

• [Gen 13:15 NASB20] 15 for all the land which you see I will give to you and to your descendants forever.
  • [Exo 28:43 NASB20] 43 "And they shall be on Aaron and on his sons when they enter the tent of meeting, or when they approach the altar to minister in the Holy Place, so that they do not incur guilt and die. It [shall be] a statute forever to him and to his descendants after him.
  • [Exo 29:28 NASB20] 28 "It shall be for Aaron and his sons as [their] portion forever from the sons of Israel, for it is a contribution; and it shall be a contribution from the sons of Israel from the sacrifices of their peace offerings, their contribution to the LORD.
  • [Exo 31:17 NASB20] 17 "It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased [from labor,] and was refreshed."
  • [Exo 32:13 NASB20] 13 "Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, 'I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit [it] forever.'"
  • [Lev 7:34, 36 NASB20] 34 'For I have taken from the sons of Israel the breast of the wave offering and the thigh of the contribution from the sacrifices of their peace offerings, and have given them to Aaron the priest and to his sons as [their] allotted portion forever from the sons of Israel. ... 36 'These the LORD had commanded to be given them from the sons of Israel on the day that He anointed them. It is [their] allotted portion forever throughout their generations.'"
  • [Lev 24:9 NASB20] 9 "And it shall be for Aaron and his sons, and they shall eat it in a holy place; for it is most holy to him from the LORD'S offerings by fire, [his] portion forever."
  • [Jos 14:9 NASB20] 9 "So Moses swore on that day, saying, 'The land on which your foot has walked shall certainly be an inheritance to you and to your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God fully.'
Where I went to school, forever meant forever and these verses talk about that land already given being forever.
[Just sayin'] :scratch:

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Respectfully, the OT verses did not seem particularly "symbolic" or "obtuse" (like the visions and parables often are) ... they seem pretty literal and straight forward:
It's not about what they seem to us, it's about what the NT says they are.
  • [Gen 13:15 NASB20] 15 for all the land which you see I will give to you and to your descendants forever.
  • [Exo 28:43 NASB20] 43 "And they shall be on Aaron and on his sons when they enter the tent of meeting, or when they approach the altar to minister in the Holy Place, so that they do not incur guilt and die. It [shall be] a statute forever to him and to his descendants after him.
  • [Exo 29:28 NASB20] 28 "It shall be for Aaron and his sons as [their] portion forever from the sons of Israel, for it is a contribution; and it shall be a contribution from the sons of Israel from the sacrifices of their peace offerings, their contribution to the LORD.
  • [Exo 31:17 NASB20] 17 "It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased [from labor,] and was refreshed."
  • [Exo 32:13 NASB20] 13 "Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, 'I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit [it] forever.'"
  • [Lev 7:34, 36 NASB20] 34 'For I have taken from the sons of Israel the breast of the wave offering and the thigh of the contribution from the sacrifices of their peace offerings, and have given them to Aaron the priest and to his sons as [their] allotted portion forever from the sons of Israel. ...36 'These the LORD had commanded to be given them from the sons of Israel on the day that He anointed them. It is [their] allotted portion forever throughout their generations.'"
  • [Lev 24:9 NASB20] 9 "And it shall be for Aaron and his sons, and they shall eat it in a holy place; for it is most holy to him from the LORD'S offerings by fire, [his] portion forever."
  • [Jos 14:9 NASB20] 9 "So Moses swore on that day, saying, 'The land on which your foot has walked shall certainly be an inheritance to you and to your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God fully.'
Where I went to school, forever meant forever
and these verses talk about that land already given being forever.
[Just sayin'] :scratch:
And where I went to school, the Bible doesn't end with the OT.
The NT teaches the land promised forever to the patriarchs, personally, is heavenly land.

Acts 7:5 states, ". . .But God promised Abraham that he and his descendants after him would possess this land."
He likewise promised the same to Isaac and Jacob, personally, but none of them "received the things promised, they only saw and welcomed them from a distance. . .They were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. . .for God has prepared a heavenly city for them." (Hebrews 11:13-16).

The land promised forever was not earthly land (to which the patriarchs will come back after the end of time) but heavenly land, so that God did not fail in his promise of "land forever" to the patriarchs (Hebrews 11:16).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The NT teaches the land promised forever to the patriarchs, personally, is heavenly land.

Acts 7:5 states, ". . .But God promised Abraham that he and his descendants after him would possess this land."
He likewise promised the same to Isaac and Jacob, personally, but none of them "received the things promised, they only saw and welcomed them from a distance. . .They were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. . .for God has prepared a heavenly city for them." (Hebrews 11:13-16).

The land promised forever was not earthly land (to which the patriarchs will come back after the end of time) but heavenly land, so that God did not fail in his promise of "land forever" to the patriarchs (Hebrews 11:16).

thank you Clare for using scripture to define scripture, this is something I am just learning, the NT reveals the OT. T

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi in now way do the apostles teach that the promises to national Israel are void. That is an interpretation that has been leveled upon them by men and has been a long established flaw in the thinking of the church. The passages in Isaiah and psalm 22 and the like
modern Jews use your interpretative rules to annul those as being literal.
Where it is not specifically stated to be such, authoritative NT apostolic teaching is not figurative, it is literal, as in Hebrews 11:13-16.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God has not given all the land to Isreal yet that he promised Abraham, Issac, and Jacob.
God's promises are always conditional on our obedience.
Deut 19:8+9

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where it is not specifically stated to be such, authoritative NT apostolic teaching is not figurative, it is literal, as in Hebrews 11:13-16.
You method of hermeneutics is not consistent. If you took and listed every singe prophecy old and New Testament about what becomes of national Israel and the land of Canaan and Jerusalem and took them just as literally as you do Isaiah 53 and psalm 22 they tell a comprehensive, integrated story with a an matching timeline. The conclusion I have come to is both ideas are true that the kingdom is always available through the gospel and this heavenly kingdom at the end of the age will be all made in the new Jerusalem. The avalanche of promises , covenant, oaths and prophecies to come is supported in the New Testament already mentioned in Luke 1. For instance today Israel is preparing for the 3rd temple and it is going to be an interfaith house with 5 wings for the worlds other religions. They want to resume the sacrifice and have the red heifers needed to prepare the water of purification necessary to resume it. Now in Israel they are talking about the ark of the covenant and where is it and when will the sacrifice resume. This is what Hosea 3 says would be resumed when the kingdom comes in the latter days when David is raised up. Furthermore Jer 3 says this
14 “Return, O backsliding children,” says the LORD; “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion. 15 And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.
16 “Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,” says the LORD, “that they will say no more, ‘The ark of the covenant of the LORD.’ It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore.
17 “At that time Jerusalem shall be called The Throne of the LORD, and all the nations shall be gathered to it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem. No more shall they follow the dictates of their evil hearts.
18 “In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given as an inheritance to your fathers.

See again Zech 14 the day the LORD is king over all the earth he destroys an invasion force that has overrun Jerusalem and from that day on the nations are gathered to Jerusalem to worship the king and in that day when eh throne of the LORD is established in Jerusalem the ark will not be made, mentioned anymore. You have Jerusalem destroyed after the kingdom comes in and all these prophecies are not about the new Jerusalem but the same one the the Dan 9 prophecies are about Daniels people and the holy city. Every tenant the futurist hold is setting up literally right now you might want to reconsider your stance that God is actually going to keep His word and perform that which He said he would do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ligurian
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You method of hermeneutics is not consistent. If you took and listed every singe prophecy old and New Testament about what becomes of national Israel and the land of Canaan and Jerusalem and took them just as literally as you do Isaiah 53 and psalm 22 they tell a comprehensive, integrated story with a an matching timeline.
Previously addressed, post #5.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I often hear people say God has not given all the land to Isreal yet that he promised Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. And that is just one reason lots of people like to separate the church and Isreal claiming he is not finished with Isreal.

I have been bothered by the idea people think God has two households or two flocks of people since I see only one flock of people.

So what does scripture say about God's promise to Abraham, Issac and Jacob

Joshua 21:43
Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there.

Kings 8-56
“Blessed be the LORD who has given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised. Not one word has failed of all his good promise, which he spoke by Moses his servant.

The only way to break this Covenant is for a man to skip the circumcision mandate... which only erases that man from the Everlasting Covenant.
(A person who is in the Lamb's Book of Life can be erased from the Book without affecting the Book itself.)

Genesis 17:1-14 [7] And I will establish My Covenant between thee and thy seed after thee, to their generations, for an Everlasting Covenant, to be thy God, and the God of thy seed after thee.[8] And I will give to thee and to thy seed after thee the land wherein thou sojournest, even all the land of Chanaan for an everlasting possession, and I will be to them a God.[9] And God said to Abraam, Thou also shalt fully keep My Covenant, thou and thy seed after thee for their generations.[10] And this is the Covenant which thou shalt fully keep between Me and you, and between thy seed after thee for their generations; every male of you shall be circumcised.[11] And ye shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be for a sign of a Covenant between Me and you.[12] And the child of eight days old shall be circumcised by you, every male throughout your generations, and the servant born in the house and he that is bought with money, of every son of a stranger, who is not of thy seed.[13] He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with money shall be surely circumcised, and My Covenant shall be on your flesh for an Everlasting Covenant.[14] And the uncircumcised male, who shall not be circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin on the eighth day, that soul shall be utterly destroyed from its family, for he has broken My Covenant.

Isaiah 61:1-7 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me; He has sent Me to preach glad tidings to the poor, to heal the broken in heart, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind;[2] to declare the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of recompence; to comfort all that mourn;[3] that there should be given to them that mourn in Sion glory instead of ashes, the oil of joy to the mourners, the garment of glory for the spirit of heaviness: and they shall be called generations of righteousness, the planting of the Lord for glory.[4] And they shall build the old waste places, they shall raise up those that were before made desolate, and shall renew the desert cities, even those that had been desolate for many generations.[5] And strangers shall come and feed thy flocks, and aliens shall be thy ploughmen and vine-dressers.[6] But ye shall be called priests of the Lord, the ministers of God: ye shall eat the strength of nations, and shall be admired because of their wealth.[7] Thus shall they inherit the land a second time, and everlasting joy shall be upon their head.

Psalms 89:30-37 If his children should forsake My Law and walk not in My judgments,[31] if they should profane My Ordinances and not keep My commandments,[32] I will visit their transgressions with a rod and their sins with scourges.[33] But My mercy I will not utterly remove from him, nor wrong My truth.[34] Neither will I by any means profane My Covenant, and I will not make void the things that proceed out of My lips,[35] once have I sworn by My holiness that I will not lie to David.LXX

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I have trouble balancing the "forever" promises with the "curses" laid out for disobedience (in the OT) and balancing both (the Old Covenant) with the promises of the New Covenant that "now there is neither Greek or Jew" (we are one new people).
Paul's part of the NT (where Jew means Solomon's divided kingdom's House of Judah) includes Benjamin.

None of that affects what was said to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel... to whom Jesus was sent by the Father (Matthew 15:24) and to whom the 12 were sent (Matthew 10:5-7). The 12 Disciples ratified the New Covenant (regarding all that was said to them) at the last Passover. John 17:6-8 says the same thing, telling us that the Son's words to the 12 Disciples are the words of the Father, in fulfillment of Deuteronomy 18:18-19.

Disobedience under the Old Covenant... has end-time effects:

Isaiah 24:1-23 Behold, the Lord is about to lay waste the world, and will make it desolate, and will lay bare the surface of it, and scatter them that dwell therein. ...[4] The earth mourns and the world is ruined, the lofty ones of the earth are mourning.[5] And she has sinned by reason of her inhabitants; because they have transgressed the Law, and changed the Ordinances, even the Everlasting Covenant. ...[16] O Lord God of Israel, from the ends of the earth we have heard wonderful things, and there is hope to the godly: but they shall say, Woe to the despisers, that despise the law.[17] Fear, and a pit, and a snare, are upon you that dwell on the earth.

Can Prophecies ever fail?

• Informative
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

God told Miriam, in his defense of Moses, that while he speaks to Moses clearly, he speaks to the prophets in riddles (Numbers 12:8). Therefore, prophetic riddles are subject to interpretation, the only rule being that interpretation must be in agreement with NT apostolic teaching, which the above is not.

Those "rules" might be true of the gentile prophets.

But, here's the thing:
Even if you were grafted-in, you're given a different set of instructions with that graft.
Paul's instructions pretty much prohibt you from interpreting the Law and the Prophets.

The Prophets came to warn Jacob about the consequences of his actions.
Therefore, it makes no sense at all for the gentiles...
who, through Paul, tossed the Law out the window...
to interpret the Prophets... who tried to keep Jacob from tossing the Law out the window.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
It's not about what they seem to us, it's about what the NT says they are.

Acts 7:2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,

Genesis 28:1-2 And Isaac having called for Jacob, blessed him, and charged him, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of the Chananites.[2] Rise and depart quickly into Mesopotamia, to the house of Bathuel the father of thy mother, and take to thyself thence a wife of the daughters of Laban thy mother’s brother.LXX

huh

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
The Prophets came to warn Jacob about the consequences of his actions.
Therefore, it makes no sense at all for the gentiles...
who, through Paul, tossed the Law out the window...
to interpret the Prophets... who tried to keep Jacob from tossing the Law out the window.

Those rules are true for all Scripture.
The OT is the NT concealed, and the NT is the OT revealed.
Augustine.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :cool:

The Old Testament

Deuteronomy 13:1 And if there arise within thee a prophet, or one who dreams a dream, and he gives thee a sign or a wonder,[2] and the sign or the wonder come to pass which he spoke to thee, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye know not;[3] ye shall not hearken to the words of that prophet, or the dreamer of that dream, because the Lord thy God tries you, to know whether ye love your God with all your heart and with all your soul.[4] Ye shall follow the Lord your God, and fear him, and ye shall hear his voice, and attach yourselves to him.[5] And that prophet or that dreamer of a dream, shall die; for he has spoken to make thee err from the Lord thy God who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, who redeemed thee from bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in: so shalt thou abolish the evil from among you.

Revealed

Revelation 2:20-24 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce My servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.[21] And I gave her space to repent of her fornication, and she repented not.[22] Behold, I will cast her into a bed and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.[23] And I will kill her children with Death, and all the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts, and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.[24] But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.KJV

Upvote 0