Aug 22, 2004
LA (Lower Alabama)
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would first like to extend a, "Thanks" to Wes for getting the ball rolling on this forum. I'm sure I will enjoy posting here. I would like to take a moment to remind all of the heirs of the Restoration Movement that by some counts, the movement has splintered into 26 or more separatist groups. I pray that our discussions within this forum will not reflect as poorly on our movement as those who have done such in the past. If you have not read the Declaration And Address written by Thomas Campbell, I suggest that you do so. I would add that it is a, "must read" for anyone who really has an interest in the history of our movement. I just want to be a Christian and pray that the spirit of discourse in this forum will reflect such.

Eric

Link to Thomas Campbell's Declaration And Address

http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/texts/tcampbell/da/DA-1ST.HTM

Reactions: SoulFly51

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Thus taught by experience, and happily furnished with the accumulated instructions of those that have gone before us; earnestly labouring in this good cause; let us take unto ourselves the whole armour of God; and, having our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, let us stand fast by this important duty, with all perseverance. Let none that love the peace of Zion be discouraged." -Thomas Campbell

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"The Lord himself, and all that are truly his people, are declaredly on our side. The prayers of all the churches; nay, the prayers of Christ himself, John 17, 20, 23, and of all that have ascended to his heavenly kingdom, are with us. The blessing out of Zion is pronounced upon our undertaking. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, they shall prosper that love thee. With such encouragements as these, what should deter us from the heavenly enterpize; or render hopeless the attempt, of accomplishing, in due time, an entire union of all the churches in faith and practice, according to the word of God. Not that we judge ourselves competent to effect such a thing; we utterly disclaim the thought: But we judge it our bounden duty to make the attempt, by using all due means in our power to promote it; and also, that we have sufficient reason to rest assured that our humble and well-meant endeavours, shall not be in vain in the Lord.

"The cause that we advocate is not our own peculiar, nor the cause of any party, considered as such; it is a common cause, the cause of Christ and our brethren of all denominations. All that we presume, then, is to do, what we humbly conceive to be our duty, in connexion with our brethren; to each of whom it equally belongs, as to us, to exert themselves for this blessed purpose. And as we have no just reason to doubt the concurrence of our brethren, to accomplish an object so desirable in itself, and fraught with such happy consequences, so neither can we look forward to that happy event, which will forever put an end to our hapless divisions, and restore to the church its primitive unity, purity and prosperity; but, in the pleasing prospect of their hearty and dutiful concurrence."

-Thomas Campbell, 1809

Upvote 0

songbird88

Oct 9, 2004
Visit site
✟686.00
Faith
Christian
Nazarite said:
I would first like to extend a, "Thanks" to Wes for getting the ball rolling on this forum. I'm sure I will enjoy posting here. I would like to take a moment to remind all of the heirs of the Restoration Movement that by some counts, the movement has splintered into 26 or more separatist groups. I pray that our discussions within this forum will not reflect as poorly on our movement as those who have done such in the past. If you have not read the Declaration And Address written by Thomas Campbell, I suggest that you do so. I would add that it is a, "must read" for anyone who really has an interest in the history of our movement. I just want to be a Christian and pray that the spirit of discourse in this forum will reflect such.

Eric

Link to Thomas Campbell's Declaration And Address

http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/texts/tcampbell/da/DA-1ST.HTM
Any way we could get this all boiled down into a summary version?
What exactly is this all about?

Upvote 0

Nazarite

Paid In Full (1st John 1:9)
Aug 22, 2004
LA (Lower Alabama)
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thomas Campbell and his son Alexander had witnessed the ill effects that division and denomination had brought to bear on the church. The Declaration and Address written by Thomas Campbell spells out many things but among them are his call to unity among Christians in the sects so that we would not be such a dim light to the world. It is an idealistic document but one that has many good points. If you have never read it; I recommend it to you and here is a short summary of some of the points.

Campbell made it clear that he had no illusions about everybody seeing the Bible alike. He described it as "morally impossible" that men should have identical views about divinely-revealed truths. The oneness he pled for, he insisted, was not a "unity of sentiment," but a oneness with a diversity of opinion that calls for mutual sympathy and forbearance. He observes that uniformity of doctrine, in those instances where it has been achieved for a time, has made no lasting contribution to unity. Even creeds, designed to achieve uniformity, have done nothing for the unity of Christians.

In response to the criticism that his position is too liberal or latitudinarian, Mr. Campbell acknowledged that it is surely God's intention that His people be of one heart and one mind and that there be substantial unity of sentiment. But it is unrealistic to expect perfection along these lines, for there will always be errors in the church. As he puts it: "We only take it for granted that such a state of perfection is neither intended nor attainable in this world, as will free the Church from all those weaknesses, mistakes, and mismanagements from which she will be completely exempted in heaven."

He places the question of unity directly before his readers: "What shall we do, then, to heal our divisions?"

To continue in the present practice is to perpetuate the divisions forever. His answer to the question is what our people have long proclaimed to the religious world: "Profess, inculcate, and practice neither more nor less, neither anything else nor otherwise than the Divine word expressly declares respecting the entire subject of faith and duty, and simply to rest in that, as the expression of our faith and rule of our practice."

If the churches will but have a "Thus saith the Lord" for all they believe and practice, he avowed, then unity can be a reality. This is being neither broad nor narrow, but only doing as the Lord subscribes. To walk by any other rule is to accept human authority, which is the cause of all the divisions.

This is the language with which most of us are familiar. The message is clear and unmistakable. If men will simply take the Bible, nothing more nor less, and be directed by what it expressly enjoins, and only that, we can heal our divisions.

Over a century and a half has passed since Mr. Campbell set forth these ideas, and while a great and noble people has arisen from his labors, the annoying fact remains that even his own followers are divided into a score of factions. His answer to the problem of division has solved nothing-neither in Christendom at large or in his own Movement.

Mr. Campbell's answer is too simple or it is simply wrong. He says, for instance: "They will all profess and practice the same thing, for the Bible exhibits but one and the self-same thing to all." How can we say this in the light of centuries of history? The simple truth is that good, honest, sincere men see the Bible differently, with or without creeds. Yet the embryo for a workable solution is present in the Declaration and Address, and it was left for Mr. Campbell's son, Alexander Campbell, to set forth a more workable solution. Mr. Campbell recognized that men are at different stages of maturity, that they are constitutionally different, and that it is "morally impossible" for them to see everything alike. Yet he supposed that men can see alike what the Bible expressly says. That is, the facts can be understood by all alike. But this too has its difficulty, for just how are the facts to be separated from the rest?

Upvote 0