Baxter, KY
✟15,859.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
does new scientific evidence point us towards a creator?
I personally believe that science is in compelete support of the Bible. No matter what current thought is.

There is book The case for a creator by Lee STrobel. Has anyone read this?
I have not read it, but I have "The Battle for the Beginning" by John MacArthur. It is a very good book.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have just read about half of the Lee Strobel book.

I have to say I didn't find it at all helpful, which surprised me, since I thought his
"Case for Christ" and "God's Outrageous Claims" both truly excellent, and easy to read.

Two main reasons I had trouble with this:

1/ He makes too much of the social interactions with the scientists he's interviewing. I don't really want to kow what an interviewee is wearing, or the fact that the person stands up or picks up a pen. It became so distracting that I couldn't concentrate on the more complicated scientific bits.

2/ He doesn't seem to be supporting a creationist view, rather guided evolution.
More a TE-friendly book I think.

However, since I only read about half of it, skipping here and there, perhaps I am not being fair.

What does anyone else think?

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

PotLuck

May 5, 2002
Visit site
✟408.00
Faith
Christian
Books can be fun and maybe entertaining at times.
But no matter what the author is trying to say The Creator himself always says it best. :)

The Lord is my banner makes a good point of caution. If the author gets off the path then maybe it's best to find another book more aligned with the bible. The bible is our measuring stick, our foundation.

Another person's views may be helpful if those views align with the bible and more insight is a good thing. We're drawn to books, other views because we have a hunger or desire to know Him more and who He is. That desire is always there when we love someone.

But there are those who aren't very close to Him or don't know Him with that personal relationship that is so important. We need to be sure the one the author is speaking of is the same one we know.

|v10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
|v11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
|v12 I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
|v13 Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
(OldT:Isaiah 43:10-13)
|v6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
|v7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
|v8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
(OldT:Isaiah 44:6-8)

Upvote 0

christ_in_me

Aug 31, 2004
New York
Visit site
✟15,207.00
Faith
Christian
The Lord is my banner said:
1/ He makes too much of the social interactions with the scientists he's interviewing. I don't really want to kow what an interviewee is wearing, or the fact that the person stands up or picks up a pen. It became so distracting that I couldn't concentrate on the more complicated scientific bits.

I think the reason he uses so much description with the scientist is because he wanted his book to be in a story like fashion.

Upvote 0

christ_in_me

Aug 31, 2004
New York
Visit site
✟15,207.00
Faith
Christian
PotLuck said:
But no matter what the author is trying to say The Creator himself always says it best. :)

You're right but I think these books may be written more for non-believers searching for the truth. You can't tell an atheist who's looking for answers to turn to the bible if they don't believe in the bible, you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PotLuck

May 5, 2002
Visit site
✟408.00
Faith
Christian
christ_in_me said:
You're right but I think these books may be written more for non-believers searching for the truth. You can't tell an atheist who's looking for answers to turn to the bible if they don't believe in the bible, you know?
Depends on how you use the bible I guess.
An atheist has a point of view there is no God yet if he's genuinely looking for answers there's an emptiness in him, something missing. He's been proving there is no God all his life so trying to prove there is a God through doctrine or another man's viewpoint will just initiate his practiced defenses and odds are nobody gets anywhere. Use God's Word. Heck, Jesus had a talent for saying just the right thing. :)

What you need to show him is what you have that he doesn't. The love of Christ. Appeal to that lack that's making him ask guestions. I don't think doctrine leads many to the Lord but the love of Christ is a whole nuther bag o' potatoes.

Sometimes it may be best to start with the beatitudes beginning at Matthew 5:1. These appeal to the heart. John chapter 17 is a prayer from Jesus to The Father to watch over the flock until He can return for them, a beautiful prayer. Such verses as this can do a lot more than doctrine.

Find some other verses in the gospels that have really touched your heart. Show him what you have. Show him what he's missing.

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Null-Geodesic said:
Read the rules. The definition was left too vague. As a Christian I am by definition a Creationist.

So why not leave yourself. And I just wanted a list I wasn't debating.

Generally, I think we define Creationist as someone who believes in Creationism, as opposed to Creation for the purposes of distinction here.

However, it doesn't matter, because the official word from Erwin is that any of us can post in here, as long as the non-Creationists (where Creationists = those who accept some form of Creationism [which is the the actual word used by Erwin]), don't debate.

This is stated in both the Announcement/Rules post here in this forum, and was re-stated by Erwin in response to LynneClomina's request for clarification in the same Announcment/Rules post in another forum here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Null-Geodesic said:
As a Christian I am by definition a Creationist.
As a christian then, I would like to hear your statement of faith. Just what is it that you believe and what is your hope?

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

Upvote 0

kspchemist

Bible Thumper
May 7, 2004
Baxter, KY
✟15,859.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
for my edification could you please list some.
THough I don't have a list, but every scientific that can be proven in the Bible has been proven correct. Look at the water cycle I believe in the Book of Job is where that is talked about. I know the Bible talks about the ozone layer. Talks about dinosaurs in the book of Job again. I know there are others. I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I make a suggestion?

The OP was asking about a specific book, so let's keep it broadly to that here.

If anyone wants to go deeply into issues such as whether science agrees with the Bible; maybe start another thread in the "origins" forum and link it here?

However, having said that, EVOLUTIONISTS ARE WELCOME to be here, so please let's not get too territorial about the place!

It's only debating that's not allowed.

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PotLuck said:
|v10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
|v11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
|v12 I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
|v13 Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
(OldT:Isaiah 43:10-13)
|v6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
|v7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
|v8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
(OldT:Isaiah 44:6-8)

Thanks for that Potluck. I really enjoyed reading some scripture here this afternoon. A reminder for me to do a lot more of it. :idea:

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
PotLuck said:
But no matter what the author is trying to say The Creator himself always says it best. ... If the author gets off the path then maybe it's best to find another book more aligned with the bible. The bible is our measuring stick, our foundation.
Why isn't the Creation created by the Creator also the measuring stick? Why only "the bible"?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.