Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NEW YORK (CNS) — Viewers will find themselves thoroughly absorbed by “The Batman” (Warner Bros.). Director and co-writer Matt Reeves’ reboot of the DC Comics-based franchise is a darkly powerful affair, and its script — penned with Peter Craig — plays with the interesting question whether the iconic crimefighter of the title is, in fact, a hero.

The film’s dialogue, however, is marred by unusually frequent violations of the Second Commandment while, aesthetically, an excessive running time just shy of three hours makes the proceedings feel overstuffed. Still, the result is too much of a very good thing.

Robert Pattinson dons the black cowl and presents us with a troubled, self-doubting Bruce Wayne, one who recognizes that, while he may keep to the right side of the law, his ability to deter villains arises from the fear he inspires in them. His alter ego’s unexpected emergence from the shadows is a recurring visual motif.

Continued below.
The Batman - Catholic News Service

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NEW YORK (CNS) — Viewers will find themselves thoroughly absorbed by “The Batman” (Warner Bros.). Director and co-writer Matt Reeves’ reboot of the DC Comics-based franchise is a darkly powerful affair, and its script — penned with Peter Craig — plays with the interesting question whether the iconic crimefighter of the title is, in fact, a hero.

The film’s dialogue, however, is marred by unusually frequent violations of the Second Commandment while, aesthetically, an excessive running time just shy of three hours makes the proceedings feel overstuffed. Still, the result is too much of a very good thing.

Robert Pattinson dons the black cowl and presents us with a troubled, self-doubting Bruce Wayne, one who recognizes that, while he may keep to the right side of the law, his ability to deter villains arises from the fear he inspires in them. His alter ego’s unexpected emergence from the shadows is a recurring visual motif.

Continued below.
The Batman - Catholic News Service

It was an intriguing premise, but lacked a little in execution. The serious themes were frequently undermined by campy diversions, and then towards the end the story took a left turn into typical "blow up the whole city" fare that didn't seem to have a good motivation.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought it was a little too dark & serious for a Batman movie, I didn't like a couple of the political messages, & I don't like Pattinson as Bruce Wayne at all. Everything else was fine.

There is a lot of blatantly woke messaging in entertainment right now. Odd thing is, that's exactly the criticism leveled against Christian movies - that they choose message over a good story. Now the far left is doing the same thing. I expect people will get tired of it eventually; I see a lot of mainstream critics complaining already. The fact that Bill Maher is complaining about it is strangely fascinating. But who knows how long it will take entertainers to back off.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is a lot of blatantly woke messaging in entertainment right now. Odd thing is, that's exactly the criticism leveled against Christian movies - that they choose message over a good story. Now the far left is doing the same thing. I expect people will get tired of it eventually; I see a lot of mainstream critics complaining already. The fact that Bill Maher is complaining about it is strangely fascinating. But who knows how long it will take entertainers to back off.
I think lately it's been toned back some & was surprised to see it resurfaced so blatantly in this movie.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it was a little too dark & serious for a Batman movie, I didn't like a couple of the political messages, & I don't like Pattinson as Bruce Wayne at all. Everything else was fine.
What exactly do you mean by too dark and serious for Batman? Batman can be very dark and serious

• Agree
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What exactly do you mean by too dark and serious for Batman? Batman can be very dark and serious
Just think it crossed the line. I can't see kids liking it, & can't see myself liking it if I was a kid. Not saying you have to dumb-things down for kids, I just think you can find that balance between kid-friendly & dark & serious.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just think it crossed the line. I can't see kids liking it, & can't see myself liking it if I was a kid. Not saying you have to dumb-things down for kids, I just think you can find that balance between kid-friendly & dark & serious.
Yeah but it wasn't really meant for kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums