The Archangel? More than one?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟254,999.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In the Bible we read of the Archangel, Michael, skeptics say there is only one archangel because he is called The Archangel. Catholics and Orthodox say there seven. Pentecostals may say there were three or four and one says twelve.

Can there be more than one The Archangel?

Important angels may be the ones who stand before God.

No more the fallen Lucifer, but Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and the others are a bit different in different churches.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In the Bible we read of the Archangel, Michael, skeptics say there is only one archangel because he is called The Archangel. Catholics and Orthodox say there seven. Pentecostals may say there were three or four and one says twelve.

Can there be more than one The Archangel?

Important angels may be the ones who stand before God.

No more the fallen Lucifer, but Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and the others are a bit different in different churches.

Usually four archangels are universally recognized: Saints Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel.

Lucifer, as I once posted, is not the proper name for the devil but rather, if we read the book of Daniel, it is clear that it is referring to the planet Venus (the Day Star) and using it as an analogy for Nebuchadnezzar, and by extension, the devil. Lucifer however is a Latin word.

One source I recently came across suggested that the devil did not come from the rank of archangels, but rather from a higher angelic rank. I have also seen the name Sataniel given for the devil, which makes sense, given that he is the Accuser, “a liar and murderer from the beginning.”

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟254,999.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Usually four archangels are universally recognized: Saints Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel.

Lucifer, as I once posted, is not the proper name for the devil but rather, if we read the book of Daniel, it is clear that it is referring to the planet Venus (the Day Star) and using it as an analogy for Nebuchadnezzar, and by extension, the devil. Lucifer however is a Latin word.

One source I recently came across suggested that the devil did not come from the rank of archangels, but rather from a higher angelic rank. I have also seen the name Sataniel given for the devil, which makes sense, given that he is the Accuser, “a liar and murderer from the beginning.”

Lucifer is like Christopher, light bearer and Christ bearer, the original name from the two Old Testament passages is Heylel in Hebrew. Venus and the sun are like the once were Heylel and God, going into worship. He is called the "anointed cherub". Perfect in beauty...

My question is about the English grammar, I do not know if there can be two "The" angels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
My question is about the English grammar, I do not know if there can be two "The" angels.

If you encounter a Senator, you would refer to him as The Senator, but there are many Senators. Arch is derived from Archon, or Ruler; many Greek cities were oligarchies ruled by Archons. So Archangels are a choir* of ruling angels.

*Choir is the proper term for a category of angels, like Cherubim, Seraphim, Thrones, Dominions, Principalities and so on.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,519.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Choir is the proper term for a category of angels, like Cherubim, Seraphim, Thrones, Dominions, Principalities and so on.
Now I am curious as to the proper term for the category of demons, if there even is one.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Now I am curious as to the proper term for the category of demons, if there even is one.

I am not, because demonology is dangerous.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Actually I thought of it…rock bands. :doh:

I jest of course, although some countercultural music is pretty dark.

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟685,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
*Choir is the proper term for a category of angels, like Cherubim, Seraphim, Thrones, Dominions, Principalities and so on.
There are many Jewish classifications of angels but the most famous Christian classification is that of St Dionysius the Areopagite. He has the Seraphim, Cherubim, and thrones (throni) as the highest category.

In the book of Revelation we read about the 4 living creatures around the throne. 1) I've often understood this as a reference to the Cherubim (as in Ezekiel). 2) But I read somewhere that they were Seraphim. 3) Another opinion is that the Seraphim and Cherubim are the same, given that Revelation's living creatures have 6 wings. 4) Still, I remember reading that Origen described the uncreated Son of God and the Holy Spirit as the Seraphim. Different opinions.

And who are the thrones? Are they the 24 elders in Revelation? They are often equated with the wheels (ophanim) in Ezekiel's vision and in Daniel (galgallim).

But the 4 living creatures in Revelation also have eyes all over, front and back, which is similar to the ophanim. Are they a representation of the Seraphim, Cherubim, and ophanim/thrones?

Dan 7:9 I watched until

the thrones were cast down
and the Ancient of Days was seated,
whose garment was white as snow,
and the hair of His head like the pure wool.
His throne was like the fiery flame,
and its wheels as burning fire.

In Col 1:16, St Paul does not mention the Seraphim and Cherubim. Is it because they and the thrones are the same creatures?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
There are many Jewish classifications of angels but the most famous Christian classification is that of St Dionysius the Areopagite. He has the Seraphim, Cherubim, and thrones (throni) as the highest category.

In the book of Revelation we read about the 4 living creatures around the throne. 1) I've often understood this as a reference to the Cherubim (as in Ezekiel). 2) But I read somewhere that they were Seraphim. 3) Another opinion is that the Seraphim and Cherubim are the same, given that Revelation's living creatures have 6 wings. 4) Still, I remember reading that Origen described the uncreated Son of God and the Holy Spirit as the Seraphim. Different opinions.

And who are the thrones? Are they the 24 elders in Revelation? They are often equated with the wheels (ophanim) in Ezekiel's vision and in Daniel (galgallim).

But the 4 living creatures in Revelation also have eyes all over, front and back, which is similar to the ophanim. Are they a representation of the Seraphim, Cherubim, and ophanim/thrones?

Dan 7:9 I watched until

the thrones were cast down
and the Ancient of Days was seated,
whose garment was white as snow,
and the hair of His head like the pure wool.
His throne was like the fiery flame,
and its wheels as burning fire.

In Col 1:16, St Paul does not mention the Seraphim and Cherubim. Is it because they and the thrones are the same creatures?

Any ideas?

The classification you attribute to St. Dionysius the Aereopagite was actually based on Colossians 1:16, as you are aware. However, the Patrisric consensus is that the Cherubim and Seraphim are separate choirs higher in rank than the thrones. We see this for instance in the Catechism of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Michael, Gabriel (Gospel of Luke), and Raphael (book of Tobit)

If you count St. Raphael, you should probably count St. Uriel from 2 Esdras. These are the four Archangels from the Septuagint deuterocanon. We get more in 1 Enoch, etc. Uriel is also widely believed in by Jews and is invoked in Kabbalah despite having been omitted from the canon used by the Masoretic Text.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If you count St. Raphael, you should probably count St. Uriel from 2 Esdras. These are the four Archangels from the Septuagint deuterocanon. We get more in 1 Enoch, etc. Uriel is also widely believed in by Jews and is invoked in Kabbalah despite having been omitted from the canon used by the Masoretic Text.
I am aware of St. Uriel, although I never ask for his prayers/protection. AFAIK, the RCC nor the EOC see 2 Esdras as part of their canon, but some oriental orthodox do? Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I am aware of St. Uriel, although I never ask for his prayers/protection. AFAIK, the RCC nor the EOC see 2 Esdras as part of their canon, but some oriental orthodox do? Thanks for the info!

To quote Wikipedia (which by my standards is phoning it in, but I really do not feel well today:

The book is found in the Orthodox Slavonic Bible (Ostrog Bible, Elizabeth Bible, and later consequently Russian Synodal Bible). 2 Esdras is in the Apocrypha of the King James Version, and Pope Clement VIII placed it in an appendix to the Vulgate along with 3 Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh "lest they perish entirely".[19] The chapters corresponding to 4 Ezra, i.e. 2 Esdras 3–14, make up the Book of II Izra, aka Izra Sutuel, canonical in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church; it was also widely cited by early Fathers of the Church, particularly Ambrose of Milan, as the 'third book of Esdras'. Jerome states that it is apocryphal.[20] It may also be found in many larger English Bibles included as part of the Biblical apocrypha, as they exist in the King James Version, the Revised Version, the Revised Standard Version, and the earliest editions of the Catholic Douay–Rheims Bible, among others.[a]

The introitus of the traditional Requiem Mass of the Extraordinary Form of the 1962 Missal in the Catholic Church is loosely based on 2:34–35: "Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them." Several other liturgical prayers are taken from the book. The same chapter, verses 36 and 37, is cited in the Introit of Pentecost Tuesday, “Accipite jucunditatem gloriae vestrae, alleluia: gratias agentes Deo, alleluia: qui vos ad caelestia regna vocavit, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Ps. 77 Attendite, popule meus, legem meam: inclinate aurem vestram in verba oris mei. Gloria Patri. Accipite. – Receive the delight of your glory, alleluia, giving thanks to God, alleluia, Who hath called ye to the heavenly kingdoms, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Psalm 77 Attend, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. Glory be. Receive.”[21] The Alleluia verse Crastina die for the Vigil Mass of Christmas in the Roman Missal is taken from chapter 16, verse 52.

Christopher Columbus quoted verse 6:42, which describes the Earth as being created with 6 parts land and 1 part water, in his appeal to the Catholic Monarchs for financial support for his first voyage of exploration.[22]

The book is appointed as a scripture reading in the Ordinariate’s Evensong service for All Hallows’ Eve.

• Informative
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
To quote Wikipedia (which by my standards is phoning it in, but I really do not feel well today:

The book is found in the Orthodox Slavonic Bible (Ostrog Bible, Elizabeth Bible, and later consequently Russian Synodal Bible). 2 Esdras is in the Apocrypha of the King James Version, and Pope Clement VIII placed it in an appendix to the Vulgate along with 3 Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh "lest they perish entirely".[19] The chapters corresponding to 4 Ezra, i.e. 2 Esdras 3–14, make up the Book of II Izra, aka Izra Sutuel, canonical in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church; it was also widely cited by early Fathers of the Church, particularly Ambrose of Milan, as the 'third book of Esdras'. Jerome states that it is apocryphal.[20] It may also be found in many larger English Bibles included as part of the Biblical apocrypha, as they exist in the King James Version, the Revised Version, the Revised Standard Version, and the earliest editions of the Catholic Douay–Rheims Bible, among others.[a]

The introitus of the traditional Requiem Mass of the Extraordinary Form of the 1962 Missal in the Catholic Church is loosely based on 2:34–35: "Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them." Several other liturgical prayers are taken from the book. The same chapter, verses 36 and 37, is cited in the Introit of Pentecost Tuesday, “Accipite jucunditatem gloriae vestrae, alleluia: gratias agentes Deo, alleluia: qui vos ad caelestia regna vocavit, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Ps. 77 Attendite, popule meus, legem meam: inclinate aurem vestram in verba oris mei. Gloria Patri. Accipite. – Receive the delight of your glory, alleluia, giving thanks to God, alleluia, Who hath called ye to the heavenly kingdoms, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Psalm 77 Attend, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. Glory be. Receive.”[21] The Alleluia verse Crastina die for the Vigil Mass of Christmas in the Roman Missal is taken from chapter 16, verse 52.

Christopher Columbus quoted verse 6:42, which describes the Earth as being created with 6 parts land and 1 part water, in his appeal to the Catholic Monarchs for financial support for his first voyage of exploration.[22]

The book is appointed as a scripture reading in the Ordinariate’s Evensong service for All Hallows’ Eve.

YES! I now remember that is where the prayer "eternal rest" comes from!! :) Thanks! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0