Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion: no.

None.
Then why should any non-christian consider anything written in Genesis as true? What arguments would you use to convince someone who doesn't believe in any deity to start with?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In a related issue, what do you believe about the carbon dating of the fossil record that seems to indicate a much longer time frame? Is it so unreliable as to be off by millions of years?
For the record: carbon dating isn't used for dating fossils, other isotopes are used for this. And the half life of Carbon 14 is way too short for dating anything older than 50.000 years.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then why should any non-christian consider anything written in Genesis as true?

The best answer I can think of is the salvation of their soul.

What arguments would you use to convince someone who doesn't believe in any deity to start with?

None.

That's the Holy Spirit's job; to convict you of your need for the Saviour.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One question i have thats not answered in Genesis.

Were the two Corgis on the ark looked after properly?

Of course!

Look how handsome and well-adjusted they are! ;)

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Then why should any non-christian consider anything written in Genesis as true?
The best answer I can think of is the salvation of their soul.
Which is an answer that exactly require to be a christian to begin with. A faithful muslim will believe in the existence of a soul, but will opt for the islam the best way of salvation and consider the christian way a path endangering his soul. A faithful jew will believe in the existence of a soul, but will opt for the judaism the best way of salvation and consider the christian way a path endangering his soul. An atheist doesn't believe in the existence of souls at all. So again, your answer will fall on deaf ears. So your answer will be accepted by christians only.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What arguments would you use to convince someone who doesn't believe in any deity to start with?
None.

That's the Holy Spirit's job; to convict you of your need for the Saviour.
For starters, I can repeat my answer as above:
Which is an answer that exactly require to be a christian to begin with. A faithful muslim will believe in the existence of a soul, but will opt for the islam the best way of salvation and consider the christian way a path endangering his soul. A faithful jew will believe in the existence of a soul, but will opt for the judaism the best way of salvation and consider the christian way a path endangering his soul. An atheist doesn't believe in the existence of souls at all. So again, your answer will fall on deaf ears. So your answer will be accepted by christians only.
The "need for a Saviour" is a pure christian thing. So again it requires the interlocutor to be christian to start with.

But; this answer has something more.
So oké, it's the Holy Spirit's job to convince me. And if he fails to convince me, should I deserve to be thrown into the "Lake of Fire"?
1703255407039.png

Should I be punished because the Holy Spirit - and here it comes - who is part of the Holy Trinity, hence god himself failed to convince me? And you want to portray that god as just and loving?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That's not how it works.

God set it up this way:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Someone can read Genesis and poo-poo it.

But something spiritual happened inside of the person that he may not be aware of:

Seeds were planted.

Later, those seeds are watered, and eventually bloom.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

People can read their Koran, Bhavagad-gita, Talmud, whatever; but they don't work inside the person like the Bible does.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Should I be punished because the Holy Spirit - and here it comes - who is part of the Holy Trinity, hence god himself failed to convince me? And you want to portray that god as just and loving?

God convicts (and convinces) people of their sins.

It is then their job to exercise their freewill to do the right thing.

God is not going to make you come to Christ.

And for the record, are you SURE you aren't convinced of your spiritual standing before JEHOVAH God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's not how it works.
I don't know what you mean by "That's not how it works". Because that is certainly what happens. Or do you expect a faithful Sikh to point toward Jainism? A satanist promoting islam? A boudhist extolling the virtues of christianity? Nope, each will fervently claim that they have the truth and the truth only.
In a similar discussion I wrote:
I am not impressed with that statement. Imagine a religious believer that claims that is Holy Book is the only true one and all the others are wrong. No politician will say that the other candidate is better. No, every political hopeful will proclaim that (s)he is the best than all the others. No salesman will say that other brands are better. (S)he sales the best and don’t go look for something else. Every religionist will claim that )he worships the one true god and all the others are wrong. And his “Holy Book” is da Truth and all the other “Holy books” are lies. Without any other evidence, I am very unimpressed.
This still stands.

God set it up this way: Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean or what result you hoped to get from these bible verses.
Someone can read Genesis and poo-poo it.

But something spiritual happened inside of the person that he may not be aware of:

Seeds were planted.

Later, those seeds are watered, and eventually bloom.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

People can read their Koran, Bhavagad-gita, Talmud, whatever; but they don't work inside the person like the Bible does.
We are back at “I am right all the others are wrong”, my Holy Book is the Truth and all the others are lies. Except of course that all religionists say that about their Holy Book.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are back at “I am right all the others are wrong”, my Holy Book is the Truth and all the others are lies. Except of course that all religionists say that about their Holy Book.

QV please:

I’ve done a lot of writing and speaking on the topic of why the Bible is true. But beyond the standard proofs for the Bible’s validity, if someone asked me to sum up in one word why a person should believe the Bible is trustworthy and, moreover, why it’s a supernatural book, that word would be: Israel.

SOURCE

Upvote 0