Jul 9, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟365,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
He does like this pastor though. I'm going to try to get him to come to some of the lenten services, I'm going to invite him anyway. I'm helping with sunday school and he won't come and meet me up there for church, he'll come sometimes if there's no Sunday school. Thanks for the prayers.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
porterross said:
ctay
Yes. It could be worse for you, but maybe God will find the door to his heart again. It does make you wonder why he feels the way he does, doesn't it. Unfortunately, the high level of hypocrisy among very vocal church goers undoes the desires of a great many would-be members. I'll keep you in my prayers. :pray:

ctay,

It could be that your husband is afraid that he might be changed by going to often and he doesn't want to change his views at this time.

Scott

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
One good thing, even though my husband won't go to church with me, he doesn't tell me not to go. He's hard to talk to about why he won't go, he gets defensive. All I feel I can do right now is set a good example and invite him, he has come with me a few times. I just hope and pray he'll start going regular one day. He was brought up in a Baptist church.

Don't give up CTAY, if he gets defensive he probably feels guilty, and thats a good thing. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
He does like this pastor though. I'm going to try to get him to come to some of the lenten services, I'm going to invite him anyway. I'm helping with sunday school and he won't come and meet me up there for church, he'll come sometimes if there's no Sunday school. Thanks for the prayers.

Lent is a great time in the Church year for that sort of thing...maybe you could talk him into going as a Lenten disipline (much easier than giving something up) and it might stick...if he can make it for lent why not pentecost?...

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
I don't know if he'll go but I'm going to try to get him to go during the mid week Lent services. I should say invite him.

probably better than saying, "nag"...:D

will pray for you sister...

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
SPALATIN said:
ctay,

It could be that your husband is afraid that he might be changed by going to often and he doesn't want to change his views at this time.

Scott

That's funny, but true. The image of "Pod People" immediately came to mind. :D

There are few things as frightening as a Born Again (?) Christian with the need to witness to everyone he/she meets.

They scare me, too. :cry:

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
porterross said:

There are few things as frightening as a Born Again (?) Christian with the need to witness to everyone he/she meets.

Maybe he could wear a button or name tag that reads.

If you're GUNG HO for Jesus keep walking and stop talking. ;)

Upvote 0

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
porterross said:

It might be scary but they have that certain "I'll die for my beliefs" demenor and I actually wonder how many people would die for their faith? I know that wasn't on subject but sometimes a person does need to see the radicalness of a "born again" to make an impression on them and know someone can be very serious and not just wish-washy.

Upvote 0

ctay

What a wonderful day the Lord has made
Jul 9, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟365,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I did get one thing out of hubby. I think I said before he was brought up in a Baptist church, but when his oldest sister was fixing to get married, the guy that she was going to get married to was Catholic. He said the pastor at the church they went basically told his sister that she would go to hell if she married this guy. He was kind of upset that the Catholic church wouldn't recognise the first wedding either. He said they did get married later in the Catholic church. (He was probably around 10 or 11 yrs old at the time his sister got married.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Radidio said:
It might be scary but they have that certain "I'll die for my beliefs" demenor and I actually wonder how many people would die for their faith? I know that wasn't on subject but sometimes a person does need to see the radicalness of a "born again" to make an impression on them and know someone can be very serious and not just wish-washy.

Many of them have great conviction. That is certain, but I can honestly tell you that when I was in the "lost years", being witnessed to by overzealous non-denoms whom I had not offered inquired of probably did more damage to my attitude than truly devout Christians with whom I was acquainted who impressed me by example of the life they lived.
Some of us are just not the kind to respond immediately when an abundance of talk is forced on upon us. Fewer, more powerful words are much more effective, but I know that's not true of everyone.

Upvote 0

ctay

What a wonderful day the Lord has made
Jul 9, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟365,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I asked hubby yesterday if he'd go to the lenten service tonight, he never said anything except what time did it start. I called him at work a little bit ago, he told me to have him some clothes ready for tonight. Just hope he doesn't change his mind when the time comes.

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
I asked hubby yesterday if he'd go to the lenten service tonight, he never said anything except what time did it start. I called him at work a little bit ago, he told me to have him some clothes ready for tonight. Just hope he doesn't change his mind when the time comes.

:clap: Wonderfrul news indeed!

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:

oh that is SO cool...that's the power of a praying wife!...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
He went. I don't know if I can get him into going to a Lutheran church or not.

Ken is right, just take one day at a time. Perhaps just gentle invitations that he would go along with you becasue it means a lot to you? I'll be praying that it all works out for you.

Upvote 0

C.F.W. Walther

May 11, 2005
MissourA
✟11,979.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Update

Just thought I'd let all of you know that since opening up to you wonderful folks here, the open arms in my home church have been non-stop. The welcome has been overwhelming and full of genuine love.
I had a nice visit with our Pastor today and it couldn't have gone much better. Another Prodigal child returns and the joy is evident and breathtaking.
I start Bible study tomorrow night and I will be attending confirmation classes with my daughter for a while to help her catch up with the other kids her age.
We are truly blessed and without the community here and your loving support I know things might have gone more slowly because of my closed mind.
Thank you all so much.
:hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.