Bondi
✟264,414.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I decided to ask the new improved Bing chatbot why conservative Christians are more likely to be climate change deniers.
I don't usually put much credibility on chatbot responses but this is spot on.
There could have been a summary along the lines of: The denial of science is not therefore a reason for rejecting climate change. It's the result of rejecting it.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟283,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There could have been a summary along the lines of: The denial of science is not therefore a reason for rejecting climate change. It's the result of rejecting it.
I decided there is something deeper going on here and rejecting climate change was symptomatic of a more general problem.
So I posed this question to Bing. :)
sjastro
Is there evidence Trump supporters are less educated and therefore have lower critical thinking skills?
Bing
There are some studies and articles that suggest that Trump supporters may have less education and lower critical thinking skills. For example, a book review of "Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers" by John Dean and Bob Altemeyer in The Washington Post states that Trump's followers are conventional in their thinking and behavior, highly religious, have less education, are highly prejudiced against other groups, oppose equal opportunity, lack critical-thinking skills ¹. Another article on Salon.com suggests that Trump's voters lack "cognitive sophistication" ².

However, it is important to note that these are generalizations and may not apply to all Trump supporters. It is also important to consider the sources of information and their potential biases.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 7/26/2023

(1) Measuring the authoritarian mind-set of Trump’s followers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...490cc8-ea38-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html.
(2) New research on Trump voters: They're not the sharpest tools in the box. https://www.salon.com/2022/03/23/new-research-on-voters-theyre-not-the-sharpest-tools-in-the-box/.
(3) Do Trump supporters have limited critical thinking skills?.
https://debatepolitics.com/threads/do-trump-supporters-have-limited-critical-thinking-skills.329367/.
sjastro

Could this explain why many Trump supporters are climate deniers?
Bing

There is no direct evidence that links Trump supporters' education or critical thinking skills to their views on climate change. However, it is known that Trump himself has questioned the reality of climate change and dismissed claims that it poses a major threat . This stance runs counter to physical evidence, near-universal scientific consensus, and analyses by military experts and the U.S. Department of Defense.

It is possible that some Trump supporters may be influenced by his views on climate change. However, it is important to note that not all Trump supporters may hold the same views on climate change and there may be other factors at play.
sjastro

I said many not all!!!
Bing

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for any confusion. It is important to note that not all Trump supporters may hold the same views on climate change and there may be other factors at play.
There you have it Bing is a liberal (in the American sense) atheist chatbot.:)

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Better be ready for it.

So, according to John Emmet who feels that the afterlife is more important than the present life we have, and you seem to agree with him to some degree (please say so if I'm wrong), are we supposed to do nothing with this world and just let it burn?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,951,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, according to John Emmet who feels that the afterlife is more important than the present life we have, and you seem to agree with him to some degree (please say so if I'm wrong), are we supposed to do nothing with this world and just let it burn?

I agree that we are to be the stewards of God's creation.

But we are also aware that things are going to get worse, not better.

As such, we get excited when these "necessary evils" occur, because they are signs that the end is near.

I'm the type of person who wont throw even a piece of a gum wrapper on the ground.

I cringe when I see people do that.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I agree that we are to be the stewards of God's creation.

But we are also aware that things are going to get worse, not better.

As such, we get excited when these "necessary evils" occur, because they are signs that the end is near.

I'm the type of person who wont throw even a piece of a gum wrapper on the ground.

I cringe when I see people do that.

Except that you cannot say that 'the end is near' with any certainty. People have been saying it throughout Christianity's history, and the world has not ended.

You will never know when the world is ending, as Matthew 24:36 clearly states: "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." (emphasis on man is from the source I used), as well as Revelations 16:15 says: "Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame."

So... really, again: are we supposed to do nothing to try and keep the world that God created, whole and clothed as it were? Or are to go before him and say "Well, we would like to, but you were going to destroy the world anyway, so what's the point?"

It's laziness and callousness disguised as religion.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,951,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's laziness and callousness disguised as religion.

I don't agree.

As I pointed out before, this earth is going to be here until AT LEAST the year AD 3030.

(AD 2023 + 7 year tribulation period + 1000 year millennial reign = AD 3030.)

That's assuming the Rapture occurs this year.

I didn't take blame for the SAVE THE WHALES, and I'm not going to take blame for ANTHROPOGENIC GLOBAL WARMING.

Not major blame anyway.

I will however accept "guilt by association," as I have:

1. A gas-powered car.
2. A cement patio.
3. Glass windows.
4. Soda pop.
5. A CO₂ fire extinguisher.

So we're all in this together, and it's a sign of the times we're living in.

Specifically, the last days of the last dispensation before the return of Christ.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I don't agree.

As I pointed out before, this earth is going to be here until AT LEAST the year AD 3030.

(AD 2023 + 7 year tribulation period + 1000 year millennial reign = AD 3030.)

That's assuming the Rapture occurs this year.

I didn't take blame for the SAVE THE WHALES, and I'm not going to take blame for ANTHROPOGENIC GLOBAL WARMING.

Not major blame anyway.

I will however accept "guilt by association," as I have:

1. A gas-powered car.
2. A cement patio.
3. Glass windows.
4. Soda pop.
5. A CO₂ fire extinguisher.

So we're all in this together, and it's a sign of the times we're living in.

Specifically, the last days of the last dispensation before the return of Christ.

But again, you can't say that because that is not something for you to know. You have no way of knowing that it's the last days of the last dispensation before the Return of Christ (I do feel that should be capitalized, but that's just me). To say "Oh, the world's going to end, so there's no point in doing anything" is callousness and laziness disguised as religion.

And it's not about guilt by association or however you want to phrase it, and no-one is saying that just people are to blame for global warming (seriously, big oil has done major work to try and push the narrative that it is regular people not the industry, look it up), but anytime anyone comes up with "Oh, it's all right, there's the next world/life to look forward to" or "It's the end of days, so what?", then honestly, you just p*ss me off something fierce.
And that's not a directed 'you' btw, just a generalised non-indicative 'you'.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟131,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate

I had a dream last night,
The world was set on fire.
And everywhere I ran,
There wasn't any water…
The temperature increased,
The sky was crimson red,
The clouds turned into smoke,
And everyone was dead.

But there's a smile on my face,
For everyone…

Songwriters: Amber Di Lena / Peter White

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I had a dream last night,
The world was set on fire.
And everywhere I ran,
There wasn't any water…
The temperature increased,
The sky was crimson red,
The clouds turned into smoke,
And everyone was dead.

But there's a smile on my face,
For everyone…

Songwriters: Amber Di Lena / Peter White

Oh, I do not care for any song lyrics you choose to think are relevant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,951,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But again, you can't say that because that is not something for you to know.

You're right.

I don't know when it's going to be, but I can say it's near (see next comment).

You have no way of knowing that it's the last days of the last dispensation before the Return of Christ ...

Assuming it isn't the last days is not an option with dispensationalists.

Even Paul taught it was the last days -- and he knew he was going to die.

And as far as the "last days of the last dispensation" is concerned, the Bible says I can know when it's near.

Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

To say "Oh, the world's going to end, so there's no point in doing anything" is callousness and laziness disguised as religion.

My taxes go to "doing something about" it, so I'm not going to start losing any sleep.

And it's not about guilt by association or however you want to phrase it,

Yes it is.

It most certainly is.

You're just as much to blame for Florida's "hot tub" as Dow Chemical is; only on a smaller scale.

... and no-one is saying that just people are to blame for global warming (seriously, big oil has done major work to try and push the narrative that it is regular people not the industry, look it up),

I'm not interested in looking it up.

I already accept guilt by association as a necessary evil.

... but anytime anyone comes up with "Oh, it's all right, there's the next world/life to look forward to" or "It's the end of days, so what?", then honestly, you just p*ss me off something fierce.

Sorry to hear that.

Religion isn't all a bed of roses.

And that's not a directed 'you' btw, just a generalised non-indicative 'you'.

I understand.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Assuming it isn't the last days is not an option with dispensationalists.

Even Paul taught it was the last days -- and he knew he was going to die.

And as far as the "last days of the last dispensation" is concerned, the Bible says I can know when it's near.

Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Which is a doctrine I reject out of hand because it's just asinine, especially in the context of Matthew 24, which does not talk about the end times since it includes, from verses 5 to 13:

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

and also has such gems carrying on from verse 33:

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

I find 43 and 44 quite relevant to the whole debate really.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟363,942.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
If Jesus comes tomorrow, who is going to be more surprised? you or me?

Depends on who's time zone he appears in first. Yours or mine.

I would be surprised, 100%, because I'll be in a zoo tomorrow because it'll go "Oh, lions, elephants, tigers, otters... Jesus?" "Shalom, my friends."

Upvote 0