Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are huge, huge benefits to suffering you only see
later.

1035303166_B971963285Z.1_20140206223209_000_G771TE32A.1-0.jpg

hardships.jpg
Hardly. Most people don't bounce back from suffering the worst the world has to offer. A lot of people don't survive it, and many who do are damaged for life. Consider how PTSD affects war veterans, rape victims, and other people that have gone through traumatic experiences. That hardship often turns people on a path to productive lives into a complete ruin of what they once were.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How very sad for you. I use my past to help those around me, I look at my past and see how God guided me through it.
This is the world we live in. You can live it as you do, without any God or hope in this world nor anything to look forward after death or see the God that is there through everything we suffer and leads and guides us to a better life in this world and an even greater, grander life in the next. I have described my pains, because that is what was asked---I was also the beneficiary of many benefits---I needed a way to support myself and get out of the house as quickly as possible and could not stomach the thought of living at home in order to go to college and was led to being a Respiratory therapist where I could earn my way and use by brains, I was led out of being under my fathers thumb into a state as far from where he lived as I could get and there met my first husband who was a very good, kind, gentle man, but I was not allowing God in my life and I had no God then to turn to and was emotionally scarred but did not think I was and I thought I was actually pretty good and tuff and proceeded to drive my husband away with my unresolved anger and need to be right and not have any man over me, that marriage ended--but afterwards I went back to God and was gradually led to a much better life, and eventually to a much better job, but I did fall and revert to old habits and married a man who was not Christian and an alcoholic which I did not realize the extent of---however, God did not forsake me and I've learned many lessons that needed to be learned through this and in the process my husband, though not yet of any faith, is now a Christian and is much, much better than he was during the first years of our life. I also had to learn to forgive my father, the process of which ended up with me having over $400,000.00 with which I have bought a beautiful home I never thought I would have, 2 brand new cars and helped me through my becoming disabled without ending up homeless. The troubles I had with my husband were of my own making as I married outside the faith contrary to what I should have done so I can not whine about the troubles the man caused me--but still God has given me much more than I ever expected. We are both disabled, but through that, we have learned to love and respect each other and lean on each other and help each other. He learned much more about love through dogs and cats that were brought into our lives which he had never known and learned how to handle their loss without becoming a total drunk again. Because of our disabilities the house fell into disrepair which was a source of great sadness in me and it looked awful, so what happened----the 50 gallon water heater broke and flooded the house-which sounds horrible, and it was, however, insurance paid to have us stay in a suite with maid service for over 3 months while the house was basically almost gutted and some of the walls and the flooring were replaced and everything was painted and when we moved back in, which was all done by others, the house was prettier than when we bought it! It was a blessing all around. The insurance company dropped us which I thought was terrible, but it forced us to look around and we ended up with more coverage for $500.00 a year less. All in all----I have more than I expected with a house packed to overflowing with a bunch of stuff that will take me to the end of my days to use up including 5 sewing machines and a roomful of material (6 actually, but 1 is nonfunctional)and 4 TV sets and one very good computer and an excellent phone system with 5 phones and one remaining very wonderful dog.--I will never need to buy clothes!! I am quite content to hold on to my God. Now, if only I could get my husband to clean out the garage!!! When things get bad, I will need to have a garage sale which should carry us through to the end of our days!!

Uhm.... I think it is in my best interest to not keep talking to you about this.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟442,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I forgot to mention the pain I've been in for over 24 years!!!! Fibro, degenerative disc disease, diabetic neuropathy---it is pain 24/7. I know, it robs you of the joy of life. It is exhausting and most people can not comprehend it. Our brains retain pain. I had testing for my neuropathy which was basically a cattle prod delivering an electric shock! Because of my fibro, it was horrible. Some people who have the test feel nothing much, I had it years ago and felt not much. This time it was awful. And it stayed. For 3 months I was electrocuted 25-35 times a day!! It gradually lessened, it's a few times a day now, along with many other pains. It amazes me how many different types of pain there are! I also have very bad cramps, and some pains that are like someone taking a pair of pliers and grabbing a hunk of flesh and clamping down and twisting, there are the needles---tiny ones to someone pounding nails into me, ---burning---so intense it feels like I could light someone's cigarettes with the tip of my finger (that is where that one pain hits, just the tip of a finger, (I have to dunk it in ice water), there is the burning of my legs, and they literally feel like they are on fire, I have gel packs in the freezer that I have to strap on to get relief, I also have a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to cool them down with, then there is the itch---it will hit my thumb, the palm of my hand, sooooo intense it feels like I will loose my mind. I was boiling water for pasta when it hit once and I had an overwhelming desire to stick my finger into the water to relieve the pain!!---I didn't do it. I no longer will do mammograms, the last time I had one my boobs hurt for 2-3 weeks. I will have no procedures done that involve pain. I do not need my brain to remember any more pain! They wanted to do a vaginal biopsy when I had an allergic reaction to toilet paper and had to go to gynecologist, I declined---that is one area that I do not have pain in and there are women with fibro that have it there very badly. There is the numbness in my feet and legs that hurt---that something can be numb yet hurt is something I do not understand! Sometimes it feels like even my hair hurts!! Then there is the general, overall muscle aches, or when my groin will feel like a pulled groin muscles though I have not pulled it. I will not be able to walk sometimes for weeks. I'm in a wheel chair anyways for my back, but can walk short distances. I had to carry around this long scarf that I wrapped that leg in and I could pull the leg up when I needed to, it hurt like crazy whenever I tried to lift it. Along with the pain fibro hits the brain, very forgetful, once typed 90 words a minute, I now type dyslexic and can't type 4 words without mistakes. Sometimes we can't get a word out, even though it may be simple, like apple, we know the word but it won't come out-have to describe it, or point to it ,my husband has gotten very good at filling in the blanks! I had to finely quite my job as a dialysis tech in the hospitals, have dialyzed even in neonatal but got to where I just could not do it anymore, besides the pain, the worse thing was my brain, I was forgetting stuff, making me dangerous and I finally had to tell my bosses. I've been on disability for over 5 years now--it was hard to give up my job of 20 years--it ended up costing me very penny I had saved up. Sleep is very difficult, a couple hours here and there, and sometimes even in my sleep, I can't get away from the pain for I will dream that I am in pain! They did scans on fibro brains in sleep---even when we are asleep, our brains do not sleep like normal people's brains do, ours keep on going, which is one reason they figure we are always so exhausted no matter how much sleep we get. Being on here helps keep my brain active and my fingers moving, thank God for spell check!! Oh yes, there were times I prayed that God would just take me. As a Christian I no longer feel I can actually kill myself as that means I think my suffering is greater than the power of God and I won't go there. I CHOOSE to believe that God is beside me and will help me to cope with all this. He gave me the MMJ to help me, now that I am not on it anymore, I have found other things that help the pain come down, like cutting my Lisinopril in half, it was causing the pins and needles to be worse, I had to go back up on my Tramadol. I just try to enjoy what I can.

I get that you were in a lot of pain and it was probably pretty awful...but I'm sure you can imagine that there are things that are a lot worse and without any relief in sight, people give up.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I get that you were in a lot of pain and it was probably pretty awful...but I'm sure you can imagine that there are things that are a lot worse and without any relief in sight, people give up.

Yes, I do know. I had given up myself---I didn't try to kill myself this time, but I just gave up and quite caring about anything, all I could pray for was death to end the pain, that is when this person paid for me to go on the MMJ and that eased the pain enough where I could think and come back to myself. It is not death that people really want--it is just to end the pain whether it be physical or emotional. I just plain was exhausted, not depressed, just tired, bone tired of coping with the pain and taking the max of my pain pills. Yes, I do understand. At that point all I could do was ask God to either help me or take me---He helped me.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry---I do not understand? You were not joking??

no i wasn't joking, I don't want to keep talking to you about how gods that just let children be raped over and over are somehow our hope in this dreadful world and that people who should hope in this god that obviously don't feel like preventing them from being raped and killed.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I forgot to mention the pain I've been in for over 24 years!!!! Fibro, degenerative disc disease, diabetic neuropathy---it is pain 24/7. I know, it robs you of the joy of life. It is exhausting and most people can not comprehend it. Our brains retain pain. I had testing for my neuropathy which was basically a cattle prod delivering an electric shock! Because of my fibro, it was horrible. Some people who have the test feel nothing much, I had it years ago and felt not much. This time it was awful. And it stayed. For 3 months I was electrocuted 25-35 times a day!! It gradually lessened, it's a few times a day now, along with many other pains. It amazes me how many different types of pain there are! I also have very bad cramps, and some pains that are like someone taking a pair of pliers and grabbing a hunk of flesh and clamping down and twisting, there are the needles---tiny ones to someone pounding nails into me, ---burning---so intense it feels like I could light someone's cigarettes with the tip of my finger (that is where that one pain hits, just the tip of a finger, (I have to dunk it in ice water), there is the burning of my legs, and they literally feel like they are on fire, I have gel packs in the freezer that I have to strap on to get relief, I also have a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to cool them down with, then there is the itch---it will hit my thumb, the palm of my hand, sooooo intense it feels like I will loose my mind. I was boiling water for pasta when it hit once and I had an overwhelming desire to stick my finger into the water to relieve the pain!!---I didn't do it. I no longer will do mammograms, the last time I had one my boobs hurt for 2-3 weeks. I will have no procedures done that involve pain. I do not need my brain to remember any more pain! They wanted to do a vaginal biopsy when I had an allergic reaction to toilet paper and had to go to gynecologist, I declined---that is one area that I do not have pain in and there are women with fibro that have it there very badly. There is the numbness in my feet and legs that hurt---that something can be numb yet hurt is something I do not understand! Sometimes it feels like even my hair hurts!! Then there is the general, overall muscle aches, or when my groin will feel like a pulled groin muscles though I have not pulled it. I will not be able to walk sometimes for weeks. I'm in a wheel chair anyways for my back, but can walk short distances. I had to carry around this long scarf that I wrapped that leg in and I could pull the leg up when I needed to, it hurt like crazy whenever I tried to lift it. Along with the pain fibro hits the brain, very forgetful, once typed 90 words a minute, I now type dyslexic and can't type 4 words without mistakes. Sometimes we can't get a word out, even though it may be simple, like apple, we know the word but it won't come out-have to describe it, or point to it ,my husband has gotten very good at filling in the blanks! I had to finely quite my job as a dialysis tech in the hospitals, have dialyzed even in neonatal but got to where I just could not do it anymore, besides the pain, the worse thing was my brain, I was forgetting stuff, making me dangerous and I finally had to tell my bosses. I've been on disability for over 5 years now--it was hard to give up my job of 20 years--it ended up costing me very penny I had saved up. Sleep is very difficult, a couple hours here and there, and sometimes even in my sleep, I can't get away from the pain for I will dream that I am in pain! They did scans on fibro brains in sleep---even when we are asleep, our brains do not sleep like normal people's brains do, ours keep on going, which is one reason they figure we are always so exhausted no matter how much sleep we get. Being on here helps keep my brain active and my fingers moving, thank God for spell check!! Oh yes, there were times I prayed that God would just take me. As a Christian I no longer feel I can actually kill myself as that means I think my suffering is greater than the power of God and I won't go there. I CHOOSE to believe that God is beside me and will help me to cope with all this. He gave me the MMJ to help me, now that I am not on it anymore, I have found other things that help the pain come down, like cutting my Lisinopril in half, it was causing the pins and needles to be worse, I had to go back up on my Tramadol. I just try to enjoy what I can.

The best remedy for pain is to remove the word "I"
from your thoughts, and any words with similar ideas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
no i wasn't joking, I don't want to keep talking to you about how gods that just let children be raped over and over are somehow our hope in this dreadful world and that people who should hope in this god that obviously don't feel like preventing them from being raped and killed.

OK---then travel the road without Him. It's hopeless and without much peace or comfort, but if that is your choice. He doesn't force. He is still there, same place He was when He had to watch His own Son suffer and die for your sins. The price has been paid for you already, whether you take it or not is up to you. Bad things are going to happen, that is this world for now. You can not protect your children from the evil that others choose to follow. It is sad that you choose to not give them the hope and fellowship with the God who brought them life, but maybe they will find Him on their own without you, but that will make them sad. I wasted many years being angry at God for what I had to go through, but it was my father's choice how he was going to live his life, God does not force us to do the right thing. I chose mine, and am glad I did. And when all is said and done, I will still have eternal life with Him in a remade earth and whatever I've gone through, the price will have been cheap enough, and I won't even remember it anyway. Bye.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,660.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
OK---then travel the road without Him. It's hopeless and without much peace or comfort, but if that is your choice. He doesn't force. He is still there, same place He was when He had to watch His own Son suffer and die for your sins. The price has been paid for you already, whether you take it or not is up to you. Bad things are going to happen, that is this world for now. You can not protect your children from the evil that others choose to follow. It is sad that you choose to not give them the hope and fellowship with the God who brought them life, but maybe they will find Him on their own without you, but that will make them sad. I wasted many years being angry at God for what I had to go through, but it was my father's choice how he was going to live his life, God does not force us to do the right thing. I chose mine, and am glad I did. And when all is said and done, I will still have eternal life with Him in a remade earth and whatever I've gone through, the price will have been cheap enough, and I won't even remember it anyway. Bye.

Atheists don't believe any of that is true, since they have no evidence that it's true.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Different for everybody---there comes a time when your heart and mind are open to Him when He knocks at the door to your heart. For some it's gradual, for some all of a sudden---it's like love. It is love. He is where love originates. One day you look into the eyes of someone and that is it, for others, you may have been around the person for years and never noticed then when you slowly get to realize they are there and it develops. Can you explain love, can you prove it exists--Only by the experience of those who have had it, and the change in the individual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,660.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain love, can you prove it exists--Only by the experience of those who have had it, and the change in the individual.

Not really the best example. Love is a description of an emotion, demonstrable chemical reactions in the brain. It shows up on brain scans. But love really isn't a thing, in the sense that an apple is a thing.

So are gods just description of emotions in the brain?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been through similar stuff. Pain never made me give up belief in God. Question why God allows it to happen? Sure, but I never felt it was evidence that God didn't exist.

I've also known people that have subject to severe abuse or trauma. With a lot of love, those people recover. Their lives are not ruined. I think helping people is far better than what countries like the Netherlands do, which is to tell people its hopeless and help them die.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Not really the best example. Love is a description of an emotion, demonstrable chemical reactions in the brain. It shows up on brain scans. But love really isn't a thing, in the sense that an apple is a thing.

So are gods just description of emotions in the brain?

Can't answer that one, I know there re changes in the brain. Scans done before and after can be different, but I can't remember just exactly how. Yes, love is an emotion, however, it goes beyond an emotion, once the "honeymoon" phase is over. Loving God is at that level, not the giddy emotional jump up and down hysteria some people insist on having. It's a deep commitment and brings peace.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I honestly have no interest in the god you've made up for yourself. I may be a lone someday but my life will still never be as miserable as yours has been. Your god would be no benefit to me even if it did actually exist.

Upvote 0