"Struggling with sexuality" -- pre-judged?

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I struggle with temptation and sometimes the bear gets me. My question is how many of you think I should go to a church that will tell me it is righteous for me to sin as it gives glory to God?
I don't think any church would tell you its righteous to sin. However, different churches DO differ on what exactly constitutes a sin. It is ultimately up to one's own conscience to determine what is sin.

Upvote 0

Kerwin

Aug 20, 2008
✟15,560.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
EnemyPartyII said:
I don't think any church would tell you its righteous to sin. However, different churches DO differ on what exactly constitutes a sin.

There are churches that basically tell you it is alright to sin and many times that is what the once saved always saved tenet accomplishes. There are also those that basically say Jesus forgives you so go out and sin again because you must sin. I agree with you in that I do not believe there is any church that is straightforward about saying it.

EnemyPartyII said:
It is ultimately up to one's own conscience to determine what is sin.

I would say "it is up to one's heart" but I believe it means the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Polycarp fan said:
It is anti-Christian to teach that homosexuality is OK to engage in.

Then why is it so proudly declared glorious in the other forums of this board? My head is spinning.

"Hypocritical" is a word that comes to mind. "Lack of strong conviction" is one other phrase that is pertinent, and "fear of man" is a top contender for what the problem is.

Can you spell, "compromise", little boys and girls?

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There are churches that basically tell you it is alright to sin and many times that is what the once saved always saved tenet accomplishes. There are also those that basically say Jesus forgives you so go out and sin again because you must sin. I agree with you in that I do not believe there is any church that is straightforward about saying it.

Again like EPII Ive never come across churches that say "sin is o.k", merely ones who debate if various things are indeed sin.

I would say "it is up to one's heart" but I believe it means the same.

Yup, its up to ones heart and I feel personally in my heart that I am correct in what I believe Gods stance on homosexuality to be.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Then why is it so proudly declared glorious in the other forums of this board? My head is spinning.
Because people aren't clones of you and sometimes happen to have different opinions than you. :)

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Because people aren't clones of you and sometimes happen to have different opinions than you. :)

Haha! Opinions they are not. They are convictions! My convictions are based on the Truth.

All spirit-filled Christians agree about what sin is. That is why we, the Church have unity and we are called to maintain it. That is why we come against those who call evil good and good evil.

Such promotion of sin does not belong in the same board where Jesus Christ is supposed to be extolled. It's rather schizophrenic!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andreusz

Aug 10, 2008
South Africa
✟9,551.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Haha! Opinions they are not. They are convictions! My convictions are based on the Truth.
You believe they are based on the truth. But other Christians are equally convinced that their beliefs are based on the truth.

All spirit-filled Christians agree about what sin is. That is why we, the Church have unity and we are called to maintain it. That is why we come against those who call evil good and good evil.
Well, as the discussion in this thread and other threads in this forum shows, this is not the case.

Such promotion of sin does not belong in the same board where Jesus Christ is supposed to be extolled. It's rather schizophrenic!
I don't think anyone is promoting sin. Some Christians are disagreeing with you about whether or not homosexuality is a sin. I, as an atheist, don't believe in sin, and therefore cannot promote it.

And if Jesus is in the right, surely it is possible to argue his case in a way that even a non-Chrisitan would accept?

Upvote 0

TeChNoWC

Sep 11, 2008
✟7,664.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
BigBadWlf:

I seriously cannot believe you are using arguments like this AS A CHRISTIAN. The Bible clearly says that our grace is not admission to freely sin. The question should be about whether or not homosexual activity is a sin or not, not that it is wrong to condemn sin.

It is not hate to tell a murderer he needs to stop murdering. Again, I am focusing on your ARGUMENT. It is your argument I do not like, not the morality of homosexuality (at least here).

Oppression is not saying someone SHOULDNT do something and we don't endorse it. It can possibly be unecessary legalism, but not oppression, or not the way you portray it anyway. You have a strong desire to discriminate against discrimination.

Upvote 0

FaithfulWife

Faithful wife to one
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟63,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Andreusz :wave: I hope you don't mind my answering your original post here, but I AM one of the moderators over there in the Recovery area, and I'm hoping I can answer your questions for you somewhat--or at least give you my side of the story. If you try to be honestly and somewhat polite with me, I will do the same for you--okay?

One of the first things you ask is:
In the "Struggling with Sexuality" threads, there are several people who post to say that they are deeply troubled because they have homosexual feelings. In these threads, it seems there is always a warning from the moderators saying that posters are not permitted to endorse homosexuality, or to indicate acceptance of it.
As I mentioned I'm a moderator over in Recovery and those particular forums are not "for people who are homosexual who would like to experience the loving acceptance of G-d" or "for people who are wondering if we think homosexuality is sinful or not". Actually it is a very specific place. It is specifically for people who ARE homosexual and who, for reasons of their own conscience, are struggling to not act on their homosexual feelings. Frankly, as I see it, my job is NOT to tell someone if it is or is not sin for them -NOR- to tell you what I think or why...but rather to support those who do have homosexual thoughts or feelings and who have decided of their own accord to not choose to act on them. We have a similar forum for substance abuse (for example) where people of their own accord have decided to not abuse substances and on that forum we support them in that struggle. Thus, in recovery we made a guideline for our forums only that says: "Do not PROMOTE the things that members are here struggling not to do." Okay...that is my paraphrase! :p

Anyway, I hope that helps to explain it a little. Our job...my job... there is not to say that homosexuality is or is not a sin, nor to indicate whether it is or is not accepted or acceptable, but rather to encourage and accept those who have decided to struggle with it. In that instance, I would ask that someone NOT promote it because that would be liking going to the AA meeting and talking about how great beer is. Well...in fact beer may be fine and dandy! But I'm respecting a) the rules of the specific forum and b) the group I'm talking to!

Next you wrote:
I find this rather horrifying. There are several churches that do not take the line that homosexuality is a sin -- why is it not permitted to suggest to those who are troubled that they look at these churches as a possible way of coming to terms with themselves?
Oh I can see how this would be really upsetting and hurtful to you if you think that what we are saying is "don't be gay" or "gays aren't accepted." I can not speak for everyone who is a moderator in Recovery (let them come here and speak for themselves) but as for me, my own son is gay and I love him dearly. I've told him to his face what I'll tell you Andreusz. I love you for the dearly beloved child of G-d that you are--none of us is perfect no not one--as far as I'm concerned I think it is a sin but I also think lying, stealing, and other forms of sexual impurity are sin too and no one gets so bent out of shape out of them--this is between you and G-d and I suggest that you go straight to Him about it, and from me you will never ever get anything other than love, acceptance and encouragement to do the right thing to the glory of G-d.

Aren't the moderators trying to impose their interpretation of the Bible on other people in these instances? And a glance at these threads will show that there is by no means unanimity on the question of homosexuality.

Okay I have to admit I found this a little bit humorous only because here on this THREAD we Christians can't agree on this, so yeah, there is by no means unanimity on the question of homosexuality. Here's what I do know though. As a mod, it is not my job to create the CF Rules or Forum Specific Guidelines--I believe that would be the owner and his designated advisors. But it is my job to apply, as equally and civilly and fairly as I can, the rules as they have been explained to me. I have to admit, I think there are other forums here on CF for debating whether or not homosexuality is sin (that's it not where I hang out) and maybe other forums for fellowship and acceptance. Hmmm...I'm not sure! But I do know as clearly as I can that my job in that forum is to help those who have chosen to not act on their homosexuality--for whatever reason. Sometimes people choose and then waiver a bit. Sometimes it's hard and they need encouragement to keep trying. Sometimes it's more like confusion and they want to talk it out, in which case I would talk to them same as I'm talking to you--with care and love for them as a sister or brother in Christ.

So please be nice in responding because I'm sticking my neck out here, but I also was hoping to somewhat (hopefully) correct a misconception. We put those "don't promote homosexuality" notices in there because that forum is SPECIFICALLY FOR those who are choosing to not act on the urge. It is NOT to say that we do not love or accept homosexual people. In fact, probably quite the opposite. All of us (including me) are beings of a sinful nature learning to be more like G-d and yet falling short, so I don't think it's my place to judge at all but rather to live in a way that demonstrates G-d's love and encourages godliness.

Thanks for the chance to say "hey". Hey! :wave:

Your true and faithful friend,

~FaithfulWife

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In the "Struggling with Sexuality" threads, there are several people who post to say that they are deeply troubled because they have homosexual feelings. In these threads, it seems there is always a warning from the moderators saying that posters are not permitted to endorse homosexuality, or to indicate acceptance of it. I find this rather horrifying. There are several churches that do not take the line that homosexuality is a sin -- why is it not permitted to suggest to those who are troubled that they look at these churches as a possible way of coming to terms with themselves? Aren't the moderators trying to impose their interpretation of the Bible on other people in these instances? And a glance at these threads will show that there is by no means unanimity on the question of homosexuality.

It is a Christian forum, and instead of posting in "Struggles with sexuality" people are free to find any other place on the internet where they might find people that got the same opinions as you got here. So if people instead choose a place where other people agree that their struggle is about sin, then this is because they don't want to be told that what they think is a sin, is no sin, and because they want advice about how to live with this in the way they are already living with it.

The socially accepted opinions about things are not always the view many Christians have, and I support the "Struggles" forum in having strict moderation and only allowing Christians to answer, or else it would only have been about what is socially accepted, and not about Christianity and what Christians that struggle with sexuality wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums