• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with parents

PinkyRock

Aspie Christian :)
May 18, 2015
England
Visit site
✟15,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I understand we are supposed to respect our mother and father, but what do we do if they don't respect us?

My mother is a narcissist, and much of my childhood is a dark cloud of struggle and depression. She's always been controlling me by controlling what I do, how I act, what I wear, what I look like, what job I get and what uni I go to.

There's a fine line between helping and controlling, and I feel like she's gone far past that line. I see my friends with their parents and I long for parents like theirs. I can tell my mum I love her but she has never told me that. She is more focussed on material things and she is so focussed on money that when someone acts like it's nothing, I always insist it is.

And then there's my dad. I pretty much lost him after my parents divorced. Now I barely see him. He lives with his fiancée and two other kids (my half siblings) and that too is a toxic environment. They are always at each other's throats and they are big-time hoarders (they moved to their new house a month ago after getting kicked out and it's already like the old one). All he does is complain and he never talks to me or spends time with me anymore.

Both of them prefer my other siblings; I am the scapegoat. Started paying to live at home at 16, pay for my clothes and some of my food and my share of bills etc. And I'm only 17 now.

I have tried and tried with both of them and every time it fails I feel like I've failed God because I've gone against what He says. But I just can't respect them. It is hard.

I know I should try more, but it's getting to the point where I don't see any end to this suffering with them. I see my dad less than once a week now, and I plan on leaving home when I go to uni (again the uni idea was my mums because she never went and wants a daughter to show off about, and i went with this one because it means I'll finally live by myself).

Over the years there's been depression, anxiety, suicide attempts etc because of the general struggles. The time I was rushed to hospital after a suicide attempt was the only time my dad was there for me, and because he was so little involved with my life that he didn't know until his parents told him.

I've prayed and prayed and nothing changes. What do I do? I don't want to live sinning like this but I don't want to keep suffering either. Please someone help, and God Bless.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand we are supposed to respect our mother and father, but what do we do if they don't respect us?

My mother is a narcissist, and much of my childhood is a dark cloud of struggle and depression. She's always been controlling me by controlling what I do, how I act, what I wear, what I look like, what job I get and what uni I go to.

There's a fine line between helping and controlling, and I feel like she's gone far past that line. I see my friends with their parents and I long for parents like theirs. I can tell my mum I love her but she has never told me that. She is more focussed on material things and she is so focussed on money that when someone acts like it's nothing, I always insist it is.

And then there's my dad. I pretty much lost him after my parents divorced. Now I barely see him. He lives with his fiancée and two other kids (my half siblings) and that too is a toxic environment. They are always at each other's throats and they are big-time hoarders (they moved to their new house a month ago after getting kicked out and it's already like the old one). All he does is complain and he never talks to me or spends time with me anymore.

Both of them prefer my other siblings; I am the scapegoat. Started paying to live at home at 16, pay for my clothes and some of my food and my share of bills etc. And I'm only 17 now.

I have tried and tried with both of them and every time it fails I feel like I've failed God because I've gone against what He says. But I just can't respect them. It is hard.

I know I should try more, but it's getting to the point where I don't see any end to this suffering with them. I see my dad less than once a week now, and I plan on leaving home when I go to uni (again the uni idea was my mums because she never went and wants a daughter to show off about, and i went with this one because it means I'll finally live by myself).

Over the years there's been depression, anxiety, suicide attempts etc because of the general struggles. The time I was rushed to hospital after a suicide attempt was the only time my dad was there for me, and because he was so little involved with my life that he didn't know until his parents told him.

I've prayed and prayed and nothing changes. What do I do? I don't want to live sinning like this but I don't want to keep suffering either. Please someone help, and God Bless.

I am so sorry you have suffered so much. I will pray that God heals you from your wounds, comforts and protects you.

Reactions: PinkyRock
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Respect means not doing wrong to them, but you don't have to put up with abuse. We are to also protect ourselves. Do not be vindictive toward them but you don't have to keep trying with people who are not reciprocating.

Upvote 0