Speaking in Tongues

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It would seem you are ignorant of the first century reformation and what it restored? Its a pattern for the fifteenth century reformation, if you would study to show yourself approved to God. Same thing was going on in a different time. Men refusing to get under the authority of sola scriptural, believing all things written in the law and prophets, showing the Catholic have not responded to the first century reformation

Hebrews 9:10
Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,482,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would seem you are ignorant of the first century reformation and what it restored? Its a pattern for the fifteenth century reformation, if you would study to show yourself approved to God. Same thing was going on in a different time. Men refusing to get under the authority of sola scriptural, believing all things written in the law and prophets, showing the Catholic have not responded to the first century reformation

Hebrews 9:10
Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

I am not following this post, could you clarify please?

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except that at the time that John compiled Revelations, the Bible was not in a book, and writings that are not now in the canon were considered Scripture, so considering the "book" here as the "bible" is utterly nonsensical. This exhortation in Revelations is particularly in regards to NOT adding to John's prophecies in Revelation.

I'd read some of the interesting commentary here:
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/revelation/22-18.htm

I see that a little differently knowing God will not share His glory with sinful men, us.

Revelation like any portion of scripture is not the word of men according to the will of men. Scripture is not the word of John. But rather the word of God .Two different kind of sources that never become one. One Divinely inspired from heaven, the other loosed from earth after the will of men.

I would say it more this way seeing the things of men do offend eternal God. At the time the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit of God moved John according to His own will and not the will of John as the last time God moved men to record His thoughts from heaven. Today if any man say; “thus sayeth the Lord” and what he declares is not existing prophecy we are to call him a liar. There are no new revelations expected .(no need) What we had in part up until God sealed up the possibility of any other new revelation . We now have the perfect loving law.

Sheildmadien 4 christ offered. This exhortation in Revelations is particularly in regards to NOT adding to John's prophecies in Revelation.

It would not be John’s prophecy, emitting from the will of John, as sinner, but again God’s prophecy after not man. Any man would be adding to, as a private interpretation or called private revelation. The scripture in whole is God’s interpretation to us as a witness who was there moving men to both will and do His good pleasure.

It is like the warning in Deuteronomy 4:2 .

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of theLord your God which I command you. Deuteronomy 4:2 .The difference being one is in regard to a “word” singular as in; do not add meaning to the word and there it could change the commandments (plural). For in doing so it can change the authors intention and therefore change the commandments as coming from God, as a doctrine of God, as the very things of God by giving it over to those of men, as doctrines coming as commandments of men.

Today that is seen in the way the word apostle is used by some to give the illusion we can think of them above that which is written. Therefore making the word of God to no effect.While the warning in Revelation would be any new revelation as an interpretation of God. God make us aware of both wiles of the father of lies.

It goes from the warning in respect to a word( singular) to a warning in respect to this prophecy found in this book ,the Bible. To know the plagues in this book we would have to search the scriptures in its entire, entirety. There are not unique plagues assigned for every book. They are assigned to the same perfect law regardless of the book It would seem to be our safeguard from being deceived by men. The Holy Spirit even adds; insomuch that, “if it were possible”, they shall deceive the very elect. He gives us His comfort to help strengthened are confidence not to go above that which is written , scripture, as the things of God. The things of men surely do offend God in that way.

Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.Behold, I have told you before Mathew 23:23-25

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I interpret it just like he says. He spoke more tongues then all of them. For me tongues can be unto God and unto man.

I would say they are used as a revelation coming from God as one of the many manners he did use to add to His word before he sealed that possibility in regard to any manner. God knows how to teach us to pray for your Father knows what things we have need of, before we ask him.He knows our every thought to include the secret ones, the moaning and groaning of it. There would be no sense I believe for us to speak in another intelligent language to Him. Offering up in vain repetitions.

Upvote 0

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say they are used as a revelation coming from God as one of the many manners he did use to add to His word before he sealed that possibility in regard to any manner. God knows how to teach us to pray for your Father knows what things we have need of, before we ask him.He knows our every thought to include the secret ones, the moaning and groaning of it. There would be no sense I believe for us to speak in another intelligent language to Him. Offering up in vain repetitions.
That is good. I agree. Have you spoke with tongues?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Garee what in the world are you talking about? Unfortunately this is the kind of nonsense that arises from personal interpetations. Garee perhaps if you read your bible in its original 'tongue', you would know that the Holy Spirit leads into right belief, not on the personal level but on the collective level within the community. Diotrephes was following his own interpretation (3Jn 1. 9-10) and the apostle reminds the people that the marks of the truth is in the belief of the collective whole as understood by all from the beginning .
How do we know Diotrephes was a one off renegade? Because John explains the difference between Diotrephes and a right believer like Demetrius:

'Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true. (3Jn12)

The apostle John further establishes this principle:
"7 But if we live in the light in the same way as he is in the light, we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from every sin. (1Jn 1.7)...
This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments(v 3)...
Dear friends, I’m not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the message you heard.(1 Jn2.7)...

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.(1Jn 2.19)

Can you prove your doctrine is true by citing references from all christian men of all nations and of all times and demonstrate your not a lone wolf schismatic? Or are you simply another american-made sect like the Pentecostals, Jehovahs Witness, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists that cannot demonstrate your continuity with the christian communities of the near-east to the present? The litmus test is a continuous lineage of your teachings and not a detachment due to a 'new revelation' or some 'reformation'.

As for me I am obliged to pass down that which I have been delivered from my predecessors in the faith. What is your metric? Why should I believe you instead of your son or grandma or the baptist preacher or televangelist that disagree with you? What makes you better than all those that came before you and taught differently?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,482,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

this really still makes no sense. clarify this please?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is good. I agree. Have you spoke with tongues?

Hi Love Jonezing, thanks for the reply

My two cents…Hope you don’t mind me rambling a bit. It seems to help me think. Sorry in advance for the rambling.

With the close of scripture, (no more new revelations) the possibility of new prophecy in the manner of tongues or any manner that God did reveal His will to us are gone forever, the possibility of another word of prophecy has disappeared.

Today we have the perfect law of God, the Bible in its entirety. He warns us if any man say:lo is Christ, thus sayeth the Lord. And what they do offer is not of the existing scripture, we are not to believe the lie.

I suggest that because the father of lies, Satan, can continue to bring lying signs and wonders, as false prophecy we should be careful on how we hear. (2 Thessalonians 2:9)

Signs and wonders is two functions working together as one work. With signs; the temporal, as that seen. And wonders; that not seen, the eternal the faith principle. Also remembering from the scriptures signs are for those who believe not, the unbelievers, and prophecy that which God reveals through the scriptures for those who do believe, the believers.

I say that also knowing again God is no longer bringing any new revelations, as signs and wonders or any manner. The last sign and wonder was given in respect to the sign of Jonas, and Christ fulfilled it.

The Holy Spirit I believe informs us that it is evil generations in respect to the generation of Adam, as natural man, Pagans, that do seek after them(Matthew 12:39)

We walk, or understand God as two walking together by faith, the unseen. And not a signs and wonder gospel. Therefore if a believer is seeking after signs and wonders to confirm they are with God. I would suggest they do not. Especially knowing according to 1 Thessalonians 2 along with the lying signs and wonders, God sends a strong delusion to believe the lie. I ask myself as personal discipline when looking at signs and wonders : do I need more that what God has revealed in the scriptures? Is it not enough that His Spirit witnesses to our spirit, that he who has begun to good work of salvation in us that He will perform it to the end?

Matthew 12:39

But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Mark 13:22For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs andwonders, ye will not believe.

2 Thessalonians 2:9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
this is not the place for two non Orthodox to talk about non Orthodox views on tongues. c'mon now.

The subject is tongues. Are you saying that all the denominations do not discuss the Biblical rendering of tongues which is a sign for the unbelieving Jew?
this is not the place for two non Orthodox to talk about non Orthodox views on tongues. c'mon now.

Non orthodox in respect to whose orthodoxy? Every sect has an opinion of what they believe God is teaching them through the scriptures. Is it not a Biblical subject that concerns all the sects? It is a fulfillment of some of the old testament Jews that were not walking by faith as a sign against them.

Are you saying it holds no significance to your sect?

Isaiah 28:11
For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,482,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The subject is tongues. Are you saying that all the denominations do not discuss the Biblical rendering of tongues which is a sign for the unbelieving Jew?

um, what? this makes no sense. I am saying to follow the rules on our subforum.

Non orthodox in respect to whose orthodoxy? Every sect has an opinion of what they believe God is teaching them through the scriptures. Is it not a Biblical subject that concerns all the sects? It is a fulfillment of some of the old testament Jews that were not walking by faith as a sign against them.

Are you saying it holds no significance to your sect?

I am saying your heterodox opinion, talking to another about their heterodox opinion has no significance to this subforum. go hardcore all you want, just somewhere else. if you want to engage and debate us, that is fine.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
would have to strongly disagree with you there Matt. It was explained to you that not remembering a detail isn't the samething as not reading something.

One can tell if someone read something based on how they respond. Sorry but you are wrong in this instance.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,482,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not talking about you not recalling details, I am talking about you ignoring or not reading pertinent posts on threads. so I am talking about you not reading, not missing out on a detail.

and of course you would have to strongly disagree. no one would pay attention to when you bring up people not reading stuff when you are just as guilty as others.

Upvote 0