Smalcald Question

electrics

Feb 5, 2014
✟7,611.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. This is my first post. I'm currently in the process of picking a church, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be Lutheran, and pretty sure ELCA. I'm reading everything I can find that's specifically involved which brings me to the Smalcald articles. In article IV, Luther accuses the pope of commanding angels. Does anyone know what he's referring to? Google has failed me. Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,540.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
12] The Pope, however, prohibits this faith, saying that to be saved a person must obey him. This we are unwilling to do, even though on this account we must die in God s name. 13] This all proceeds from the fact that the Pope has wished to be called the supreme head of the Christian Church by divine right. Accordingly he had to make himself equal and superior to Christ, and had to cause himself to be proclaimed the head and then the lord of the Church, and finally of the whole world, and simply God on earth, until he has dared to issue commands even to the angels in heaven....
Part II Article IV found here: Smalcald Articles - Book of Concord

During that period in history, if you read a lot of theology, you will find that there is a lot of use of polemic rhetoric, that is, language that tends to be exaggerated in order to make a point. I read this not as accusing the Pope of commanding angels, but as begging the question; how far will he go or how much more bold and defiant of scripture will he become?

Rhetoric and polemics have always played a part in theological discussion, and it is only recently within the context of Catholic Lutheran dialogue between both Lutheran traditions and the Catholic Church that the rhetoric is being worked through and we are beginning to see the bottom line theologically.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0