Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The pleas to feed the hungry are constantly assailing us. I thought we solved that problem, but then I thought of how livestock is fed. Unbalanced rations loaded with salt keeps the animals hungry and thirsty, thus constantly eating and drinking, never satisfied, while all the time gaining 'market' weight. Isn't it the same with the poor. Why do we almost never see a poor person who appears underweight, but rather overweight, and still hungry, in most cases? Aren't we just 'slopping the hogs' by feeding the poor starchy, fatty, salty, foods that lack healthy satisfying nutrition. What if we fed them less, but better, food? The cost would be the same but the outcome would be much better, imo. Thoughts?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fattening food is cheaper than fruits and vegetables. If you are on food stamps, the money stretches more with processed foods than fresh ones.

That's what I don't get. You can obtain quality food with the help of the SNAP program. Maybe those on the program think they must get all their food from SNAP (the "S" stand for "supplemental", not "total"). Perhaps a course in language comprehension is in order?

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's what I don't get. You can eat like a king with the SNAP allowance.
Really? How much do people on Food Stamps get a month?

I don't know if it is all that much. Also, in our state food is taxed, which further drives up the cost of food.

Do you know how much a family of four get a month? I don't.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? How much do people on Food Stamps get a month?

I don't know if it is all that much. Also, in our state food is taxed, which further drives up the cost of food.

Do you know how much a family of four get a month? I don't.

Depends on the State. Here in Wisconsin the SNAP allowance is pretty low because food is generally lower cost. It ranges from about $115 per month per person up to $150, depending on the cost of food in that State. So its indexed according to regional food costs.

I did an experiment last year on this. A healthful diet cost me about $135 per month where I live. The SNAP allowance at the time was $116 per month for a single person, so my out of pocket cost would have been $19 per month for healthful food.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on the State. Here in Wisconsin the SNAP allowance is pretty low because food is generally lower cost. It ranges from about $115 per month per person up to $150, depending on the cost of food in that State. So its indexed according to regional food costs.
Do you think $115 a month is a lot for food? I think it is adequate, but I don't see a whole lot of steak dinners on that budget.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think $115 a month is a lot for food? I think it is adequate, but I don't see a whole lot of steak dinners on that budget.

A "whole lot of steak dinners" isn't a healthy diet. Poor people shouldn't be thinking in terms of steak dinners anyway. Poor people should be more concerned with their health, as they as a group have some pretty serious health problems, many of which are caused by their poor choice of foods.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A "whole lot of steak dinners" isn't a healthy diet. Poor people shouldn't be thinking in terms of steak dinners anyway. Poor people should be more concerned with their health, as they as a group have some pretty serious health problems, many of which are caused by their poor choice of foods.
Shouldn't a poor person have a steak dinner on their birthday?

I don't think $115 would buy a whole lot of fruits and vegetables.

Chips are cheap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Shouldn't a poor person have a steak dinner on their birthday?

I don't think $115 would buy a whole lot of fruits and vegetables.

Chips are cheap.

Fruits and vegetables are overrated as far as overall nutrition goes. Unless you grow your own the cost can't be justified.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fruits and vegetables are overrated as far as overall nutrition goes. Unless you grow your own the cost can't be justified.
What would you say is healthy, then? I would think fruits and vegetables are healthier than processed foods.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What would you say is healthy, then? I would think fruits and vegetables are healthier than processed foods.

Food has to satisfy your nutritional needs. Those needs can't be met by fruits and vegetables alone.

Nutrition is a complex process, but not a complex subject. But as simple as it is few understand it.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Food has to satisfy your nutritional needs. Those needs can't be met by fruits and vegetables alone.

Nutrition is a complex process, but not a complex subject. But as simple as it is few understand it.
Well, sure. I know that people need protein and carbohydrates. The point is, fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than processed food.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, sure. I know that people need protein and carbohydrates. The point is, fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than processed food.

True, but some varieties are always affordable; bananas, and potatoes, for example. I consider a juicy orange a treat rather than a 'foodstuff'. Proper digestion is more important for nutrition than what specifically is being eaten.

Interestingly fresh fruits and vegetables would be completely out of reach were it not for gov't subsidies for big growers, and cheap farm labor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True, but some varieties are always affordable, bananas, and potatoes, for example. I consider a juicy orange a treat rather than a 'foodstuff'. Proper digestion is more important for nutrition than what specifically is being eaten.
The only way to have welfare recipients eat healthier food is to restrict what they are able to buy.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have a wonderful idea.
Lets have all them prosperity preachers who stole from the poor
set an example by sellilng their big houses.
then with the money, me, Galatia, and others can plant gardens.
I aint feared to get my hands dirty planting seeds.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only way to have welfare recipients eat healthier food is to restrict what they are able to buy.

Education is the key. Sadly we are going in the opposite direction.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a wonderful idea.
That's a good idea, except I have a brown thumb and would kill the plants.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a wonderful idea.

Have you gardened much? About the time you're tired of it the real work begins.

Upvote 0