England
✟7,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My apologies if this is the wrong forum, there are so many I couldn't decide which was best.

So basically my sister, who is a christian (although backslidden, imo), told me last week that she had an affair with another married man, a Muslim, whom she was best friends with. He confessed to his wife and cut off all contact with my sister - she, on the other hand, is wanting me to keep it a secret from everyone for two reasons.

1) her marriage was already failing when she started the affair, so what good would it do to tell her husband as in her eyes they are only together on a technicality and she doesn't want to work it out

2) she says she repented so she doesn't need to tell anyone else

My sister is a very difficult person to read - she says God speaks audibly to her, yet her life appears to produce no fruit. She also says she doesn't need to read the bible because she knows when He is speaking. I'm baffled and also don't know what to do with the confession. I've prayed for her but she doesn't seem to want to deal with any of it; she just wants to avoid all confrontation past the initial conversation we had about it.

I've not gotten angry, I've not damned her - I told her it was a mistake, it was adultery and she needs to receive God's forgiveness and to also forgive herself. As time has gone on, she seems to be content to ignore the whole thing and squash it down.

As i am not allowed to talk about it to people we know, this was the compromise for me - I need mature, Godly advice on how I should conduct myself and handle this. I harbour no ill feelings towards her, I just feel like she is setting herself up for a bigger fall later by hiding.

She has zero intention of staying married as soon as the virus lockdown is lifted and divorce is definitely on the cards anyway. Her husband is not a christian. I know this is garbled I'm just very confused about the whole situation.

Reactions: dayhiker

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've not gotten angry, I've not damned her - I told her it was a mistake, it was adultery and she needs to receive God's forgiveness and to also forgive herself.

You just need to seek God and allow him to make you the best representation of Jesus you can be. Jesus never accused anyone of adultery or told them to ask for forgiveness. Seek God to heal you.

Upvote 0

Barley Octopus

Apr 11, 2020
England
✟7,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if a christian sins and wants it hidden, we should not call it for what it is nor encourage them to allow God to heal them?

Fair enough, I have clearly misunderstood a great deal and have a lot to learn on this subject. I will continue to pray for her and her family nonetheless until told otherwise.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it :blush:

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟973,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think if she has asked for and received forgiveness...if she has spoken and prayed with her pastor...if she has cried herself to sleep at night over it...if she has regret and would never do it again...or if she has done none of those things -- she is under no obligation to share it with you. I recommend you be a sister. Love her. Pray for her. Let the Holy Spirit work on her. And let her work it out with God in her own way and time.

What people say and do on the outside is sometimes not what they feel and do on the inside.

Upvote 0