Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even if I "grasped" the truth its not reasonable for a 17 year old with a crappy vehicle and no money to drive to an EO church heh, I'm curious where the closest Oriental Orthodox church is to me.

Do you know of any websites that you can do a search on for the nearest church?

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Do you know of any websites that you can do a search on for the nearest church?

No I can't say I can find any which is really sad because the EO had a really great site called orthodoxy in america and it had a detailed map of all EO locations including churches, monastaries etc. and then broke them down by nationality. Nothing like that for the OO.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well perhaps Anglian might have some advice for you. As for the EO, they have been very helpful to me. One of them has become a dear friend of mine. She sent me a prayer rope, a prayer book, and the spiritual classic 'The way of a pilgrim'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting stuff, mostly I am still trying my hands at protestant churches (without getting too informal). I was raised Roman Catholic and am seeking something better. I mostly ended up here out of curiousity.

I see. If I may ask, why are you looking more at protestantism? Because it's kind of ironic, I'm from a protestant background looking towards your side of teh pasture so to speak.

With Orthodoxy (Coptic, Oriental, Eastern) I find a level of reverence towards Christ and respect towards tradition I haven't seen in other churches.

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Kirkhaven, Dear Zoness,

It can be a problem finding OO Churches away from the Egyptian or Syriac diasporas; I have to travel 90 minutes each way to my own Church. A web search for Coptic or Syriac Orthodox in your State will show whether there is one.

We have a UK site for Westerners at
http://www.britishorthodox.org/
which gives you a lot of information about Oriental Orthodoxy as well as some good links. It also provides links to the Oriental Orthodox Library which offers texts from our tradition which you may enjoy reading and find edifying.

But always remember, as my bishop tells us: 'God knows who His own are. If you concentrate on repentance, amendment of life, loving the Lord and each other, you start well and end better.'

peace be with you both,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
[/b][/i][/color][/size]
I see. If I may ask, why are you looking more at protestantism? Because it's kind of ironic, I'm from a protestant background looking towards your side of teh pasture so to speak.

With Orthodoxy (Coptic, Oriental, Eastern) I find a level of reverence towards Christ and respect towards tradition I haven't seen in other churches.

My reasons for looking at protestantism don't have a lot to do with tradition or lack thereof -- Catholicism turned more into just a "thing" people did in my house and then when my parents got divorced my Dad started attending a Non-denominational church and even though it was a low service and very laid back I could truely feel the love of Christ and people with true reverence there. Then I started looking for a higher service but not drawing too close to RCC dogma. Most of my time now is spent going to Anglican, Lutheran and occasionally Methodist churches because there are several and I can reach them by bike from my house.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My reasons for looking at protestantism don't have a lot to do with tradition or lack thereof -- Catholicism turned more into just a "thing" people did in my house and then when my parents got divorced my Dad started attending a Non-denominational church and even though it was a low service and very laid back I could truely feel the love of Christ and people with true reverence there. Then I started looking for a higher service but not drawing too close to RCC dogma. Most of my time now is spent going to Anglican, Lutheran and occasionally Methodist churches because there are several and I can reach them by bike from my house.
I wish you the best Zoness on your search. Do you think you will ever join one of those other churches?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anglian,

Truly you have a far distance to travel. Indeed, my 45 minutes is only half of that. How long have you been there?

I have been going to this particular Church for three years now. We are a small congregation, but a close one. There are mornings when, truth to tell, I find it hard to get up (on my one day off) at 7 a.m. and do the journey. But once there fatigue falls away. The Eucharistic feast is not to be described, but afterwards I feel as though I could travel thrice the distance.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have been going to this particular Church for three years now. We are a small congregation, but a close one. There are mornings when, truth to tell, I find it hard to get up (on my one day off) at 7 a.m. and do the journey. But once there fatigue falls away. The Eucharistic feast is not to be described, but afterwards I feel as though I could travel thrice the distance.

peace,

Anglian

I'm glad to know that. This is something that has weighed on my heart and mind for a very longtime now. In truth, I grew up within a Baptist church, which denies the real presence. However, the scriptures made it clear otherwise. It wasn't until I was reading the Apostolic Fathers that I came to fully grasp this truth.

At this point in my sojourn I'm looking at embracing the full gospel--which has lead me to the apostolic churches. The prime reason that I lean more towards the Orthodox community is because of specific and questionable doctrines of the Catholic Church. Even as Saint Paul went out to the wilderness after he converted, so I am searching for a deeper communion with both our Lord and His Church.

What would you recommend I do? Be pragmatic and embrace the Catholic faith even if I have doubts regarding some of their doctrines? Or should I attend the Divine Liturgy (which is 45 minutes away) first and then decide?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Kirkhaven,

Many Catholics would contend that what they hold is a developed understanding of the Faith once received; for us, that is a question we have not asked, but much of what the Catholics hold is compatible with Orthodoxy; there are a few real sticking points, of which the Papal claims are the most difficult. But if they are tour nearest Apostolic Church, then make contact and talk to the priest there. It may be the answer for you, or it may be a stepping stone towards Orthodoxy; let the Spirit lead you.

At the same time, go and experience an Orthodox liturgy. Sometimes, for those from a Western background, Orthodoxy can be very 'ethnic' (as some Orthodox congregations are); as I say, I have always found my Egyptian brothers and sisters so welcoming; but I know it is not always so.

What matters is that you grow in the Faith, and as you have found, the Church Fathers and the traditions of the Church are great guides in deepening one's faith. The fellowship of an Apostolic Church is also invaluable, for we are saved together in the body of Christ.

Do read my signature, it expresses what I believe. I know I have found in the Coptic Orthodox Church the fullness of the Faith, but I cannot know where else the Holy Spirit abides; God knows who His own are. You, too, will know when you find them.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which churches, the protestant ones? It's very possible that I would--why?
I'm just curious which one of them you are drawn to. I've noted that you have quoted John Wesley in your signature, the tireless preacher and founder of Methodism.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟33,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Kirkhaven,

I have read some of Wesley's works and find them very Orthodox. He was clearly a godly and pious man.

peace,

Anglian

Yes, I quite agree. Clearly the Lord had His hand on his life. His story has been somewhat of an inspiration in my life. Also, one of my ancestors was a Methodist circuit rider.

Upvote 0