Sign in thread, drop a note!

R

Rilian

domi said:
like 37.8 miles. It's kinda far. And my dad willn't take me and I don't have a lincine..my problem is that I'm only 17 and i would feal so odd calling a priest.. i mean what would i even say? Hi I dunno u can I go to ur church?

That's basically what I did. I called our priest and told him I was interested in Orthodoxy and I would like to visit. I just wanted to talk to someone before coming in person.

When my wife was your age she went to a church that her parents didn't go to. Somebody from the church gave her a ride every Sunday if I remember right. You never know, there might be somebody who could do the same for you. Lots of Orthodox people drive pretty far to go to church since there are so few around, at least in many parts of the country. I would imagine Coptic churches are even more widely spaced than some others.

Upvote 0

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
minasoliman said:
Hey Alex,

I just read the thread about your entry to Orthodoxy. I am so happy and proud that you're back home.

May you be a light unto others for many years to come.

And also a happy Lazarus Saturday to everyone, as well as an upcoming Holy Week. I'm going to try to refrain from forums to respect the Pascha.

See ya guys in Easter.

God bless.

Mina

Thank you so much! Your kind words are appreciated!

Warm regards,

Upvote 0

domi

I reject your reality and subsitute my own!
Oct 18, 2004
New York
✟22,029.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rilian said:
That's basically what I did. I called our priest and told him I was interested in Orthodoxy and I would like to visit. I just wanted to talk to someone before coming in person.

When my wife was your age she went to a church that her parents didn't go to. Somebody from the church gave her a ride every Sunday if I remember right. You never know, there might be somebody who could do the same for you. Lots of Orthodox people drive pretty far to go to church since there are so few around, at least in many parts of the country. I would imagine Coptic churches are even more widely spaced than some others.

So basicly if i called him now..which i'm aclty kinda planning on doing. I could be like hi and he'll be like hi, *yes i get anxious when i do these things* and i'll be like i heard about ur church from this website and i'm intersted in going to it and i just wanted to talk to u about it first..and i kinda need a ride..but i don't need ot mention that untill l8er. What if he asks me what i want to know? I'm so payoniod.. it aclty doens't sound so bad after ur help.

Upvote 0

domi

Oct 18, 2004
New York
✟22,029.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rilian said:
domi,

I would just say I found out about the Coptic Orthodox Church online, I'm interested in it and in attending your church sometime. Tell him about your car situation as well. I'm sure he'll have questions for you. I think you'll find most Orthodox people love to share their faith and are very flattered when you show interest in it.

Ok i'll do it...but if i get yelled at I'm going to blame it on u lol.:p brb.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Globalnomad said:
Michael -
so how did reading Thomas Aquinas make you more Orthodox? This is interesting!

By the time I got done with a class on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas I was so fed up with his legalistic approach to things that I was very, very open to the Orthodox approach to theology.

Upvote 0

CopticGirl

Feb 25, 2005
✟1,398.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
CotpicGirl said:
So this forum is always a little uneventful and there doesn't seem to be that many Oriental Orthodox members on here. So I thought maybe we could all introduce ourselves and whenever there is a new member this is where he/she can say "hello"!

Have we succeeded in making this forum a little more eventful?? I think we're making progress! :clap:

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Michael the Iconographer said:
By the time I got done with a class on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas I was so fed up with his legalistic approach to things that I was very, very open to the Orthodox approach to theology.

Mmmm. Real difference in mindsets, ain't it? I LOVED his legalistic approach... Seemed so clear and decisive, and it's so easy to spot the places where you don't agree with him... My "take" on him is that he spoiled me for all other philosophers, they all seem convoluted and dishonest after him. Well, don't let this cause problems between you and me! ;)

Upvote 0

domi

Oct 18, 2004
New York
✟22,029.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
CotpicGirl said:
Have we succeeded in making this forum a little more eventful?? I think we're making progress! :clap:

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Go cotpic girl o yah!!!!!!!! hehehehehe...I think we have :) .... I love u lizzy hehehehhe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

domi

Oct 18, 2004
New York
✟22,029.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
NINGirl said:
Whoa, I didn't know this thread existed.

Well, my name's Christine. I'm Coptic Orthodox and live in Southern California. Hi all.:)

Hey Christine!!!!!!! hehehehe...I like u alreayd...we r ganna be great firend :D

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Globalnomad said:
Mmmm. Real difference in mindsets, ain't it? I LOVED his legalistic approach... Seemed so clear and decisive, and it's so easy to spot the places where you don't agree with him... My "take" on him is that he spoiled me for all other philosophers, they all seem convoluted and dishonest after him. Well, don't let this cause problems between you and me! ;)

When I began to take the class on thomism I was already squarely pointed in the direction of Orthodoxy and had already a distaste for legalism. The over legalism and defining of everything which Aquinas did so thoroughly repulsed me that it sealed that fate. To me it is a good thing that Orthodoxy allows many things to remain a mystery and does not try to explain what is properly left to faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CopticGirl

Feb 25, 2005
✟1,398.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
sin_vladimirov said:
Many years with no tears to everyone..

My name is Stefan (my nick stands for the son of Vladimir) by the mercy of our Lord, cathecumen of the Orthodox Churches of Serbia.

Lord have mercy on us and save us.

We're happy to have you here Stefan! :wave:

God Bless,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0