Should Christians watch anime

Supremocombo

Christian Anime fan, Tech nerd, and gamer.
Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now I used to be a HUGE anime fan. It was literally life. But at some point I started realizing that some anime encourage some non-christian values or satanism all-together. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Naruto, DBZ, Reborn,Code Geass, Hunter X Hunter etc. Id love to know your opinions because I like anime but idk if I should watch it. Still praying and reading for it though.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Not sure what anti Christian values you're seeing, but that doesn't mean that they are so merely because you perceive it as such. Japan isn't very religious, but it's not anti Christian by any stretch, esp. in what is meant to be accessible to many people, not just a particular audience.

Also, most importantly of all, is the concern that perhaps you're still neglecting a difference between what is fantasy and what is reality. People don't take DBZ seriously to the extent of trying to use ki to fly and the like, or with Naruto and chakra and making clones of yourself. The point of them is to enjoy a story moreso than getting lessons about what to believe. Separating the fantastical elements from elements that are of some philosophical import can be enjoyable, but not necessarily what the series is meant to do.

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The pentagram, (5 pointed star going through straight line with a circle on the outside) also known as transmutation circle in FMA is often used for real life magic, demonology, etc. It was once used though (without a circle) to symbolize the 5 wounds of Christ. In Japanese and Chinese mythology/legend, it was also used as a symbol for the five elements and spirit points. Now we may see dragons in anime (DBZ) and in Japanese/Chinese religion and think of it as cool or whatever, but in the Bible, in Revelation specifically, the dragon is a symbol of Satan. Also, we see tons of rituals in anime and rituals aren't Christian.

What Im concerned about is that anime takes a lot of anti-Christian things from real life and implements it in anime.

Sometimes the Holy Spirit will talk to you in indirect ways and answer your questions. You do your part, and God will do His.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The pentagram, (5 pointed star going through straight line with a circle on the outside) also known as transmutation circle in FMA is often used for real life magic, demonology, etc. It was once used though (without a circle) to symbolize the 5 wounds of Christ. In Japanese and Chinese mythology/legend, it was also used as a symbol for the five elements and spirit points. Now we may see dragons in anime (DBZ) and in Japanese/Chinese religion and think of it as cool or whatever, but in the Bible, in Revelation specifically, the dragon is a symbol of Satan. Also, we see tons of rituals in anime and rituals aren't Christian.

What Im concerned about is that anime takes a lot of anti-Christian things from real life and implements it in anime.

Sometimes the Holy Spirit will talk to you in indirect ways and answer your questions. You do your part, and God will do His.
Symbolism is not a one meaning for all uses thing, though. Japanese aren't using symbols in any way that likely is meant to engender hostility to Christians, esp. because I'm pretty sure some mangaka are Christian themselves or take great influence from it, since they're not about just having one affiliation. Take Saint Young Men, by an author that I imagine could be Buddhist, Christian or both in some respect. It's very educational about Jesus and Buddha, but also has good humor in it.

Dragons don't have the same association in Japan and China as the bible has. Just because you associate a dragon with Satan doesn't mean all uses of dragons by all authors are meant to be Satan.

Rituals done in anime are usually done by bad people in my experience, so I don't think Japan is trying to spite Christians, esp. when they don't have a big Christian population to begin with.

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your forgetting the ritual Kushina and Minato did to seal Kurama inside of Naruto.

Not to mention all of the other Jinchuuriki.

Also, in Katekyo Hitman Reborn, some mist flame users have hell rings. Not just bad guys, but good guys too. The rings have satanic symbols such as 666 and they use the rings for power. Not only that, the Phantom Knight sells his soul to the hell ring at some point.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The ritual was meant to help people: also, it's not exactly something people are going to imitate in general, like any of this stuff, unless you can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality to begin with, which is the crux of whether one should be reading anything fictional.

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians watching anime is the same as Christians watching sex. We are watching things God dosent approve of. Now I get your point how is fictional and all that, but when you stop and think, some of it isn't all that different from the real world.
In Christian belief, Satan works in silent and hidden ways, waaaaay more silent than you may think. I know this from first-hand experience.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God approves of sex, to my knowledge (albeit within the bonds of marriage, if we're going with a common attitude on the subject). To say otherwise means that God apparently doesn't want us to populate the world.

Again, the point is discernment: if you can't even perceive that something might be trying to influence you in a negative way, then perhaps watching popular culture in general isn't for you. The whole point of it is enjoyment, but one should moderate themselves in that sometimes they can get swept away by messages that may not be intended to be seen as a positive thing, like villains and their motivations or people making bad decisions to snub their nose at authority, etc.

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I meant within the bonds of marriage. However, when we watch sex, we often lust and obviously, that isnt approved by God. Thats a good point too.

Just to add to my point, here are some Bible verses :D

Romans 12:22 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Hebrews 3:12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.

Now the anime we speak of at the moment can be taken to certain point of intolerance. After that point, that anime is completely unacceptable in Gods eyes. We should always make sure that the anime/game that we watch or play does not have/promote real life satanic things (magic,witchcraft,etc.) and does not stray from our values.

I think ive said enough.
This was a nice discussion Muichimotsu

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I meant by the bonds of marriage. Usually, when we watch sex, we lust, and thats not approved by God

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Hebrews 3:12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.

This was a nice discussion Muichimotsu...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SemiBolt

Sep 14, 2015
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It all depends. If you feel like a certain Anime isn't good for you then you probably shouldn't. If God tells you to never watch Naruto again that doesn't mean no one else should either. Also in Katekyo Hitman Reborn they did have those devil rings but that's a whole other subject. if someone has a ring that says 666 and sells their sole to the devil it doesn't mean the Anime is of satan, it just means who ever uses those rings are obviously idiots. There are lots of evil things in the bible that if they were put into a movie it would be horrible to watch. Now on the other hand if Tsuna willingly had the 666 ring and used it for power and thought he was doing the right thing that'd be another problem. I hope I made sense ;-;...

Reactions: ladyarianrod
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I meant within the bonds of marriage. However, when we watch sex, we often lust and obviously, that isnt approved by God. Thats a good point too.

Just to add to my point, here are some Bible verses :D

Romans 12:22 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Now the anime we speak of at the moment can be taken to certain point of intolerance. After that point, that anime is completely unacceptable in Gods eyes. We should always make sure that the anime/game that we watch or play does not have/promote real life satanic things (magic,witchcraft,etc.) and does not stray from our values.

I think ive said enough.
This was a nice discussion Muichimotsu
If you're going to be consistent on this, you might as well limit your general intake of any pop culture.

Upvote 0

SemiBolt

Sep 14, 2015
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To round everything up, if a character uses evil powers it doesn't mean the Anime is evil too. The bible has some horrible stuff in it that's extremely violent and evil yet we are suppose to read it, However that doesn't apply to everything. If someone uses a evil power it doesn't mean the creator is encouraging satanism , they are just showing you how far gone the villain is.
For example, Death Note. REALLY dark Anime that a lot of Christians won't agree with cause the main character is killing people and thinks hes a God. That's obviously not good or something God likes, however the main character is also the villain which makes the situation better. Now say if the WHOLE Anime had a guy killing people thinking hes God and he became supreme ruler of the world and then the anime ended with the villain being supreme then I'd say the Anime is getting a little more suggestive and you should be careful.
There's a difference between supporting violence and making a story that has violence.
Still, if you feel guilty about certain Anime I'd take a brake from those. Watch something you'd be okay with God knowing your watching it. Watch a Anime without violence or anything suggestive, just a good hearted show and still see if you feel like you shouldn't watch Anime.
Let me know if you need anymore help :D

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what anti Christian values you're seeing, but that doesn't mean that they are so merely because you perceive it as such. Japan isn't very religious, but it's not anti Christian by any stretch, esp. in what is meant to be accessible to many people, not just a particular audience.

Another thing to consider is that since Christianity is a minority religion in Japan, a lot of people just don't understand it. As such, depictions of Christianity tend to be rare in anime, and such depictions are often clouded by mistaken notions or even outright bad information.

Also, most importantly of all, is the concern that perhaps you're still neglecting a difference between what is fantasy and what is reality. People don't take DBZ seriously to the extent of trying to use ki to fly and the like, or with Naruto and chakra and making clones of yourself. The point of them is to enjoy a story moreso than getting lessons about what to believe. Separating the fantastical elements from elements that are of some philosophical import can be enjoyable, but not necessarily what the series is meant to do.

The few people who do seem to take these shows seriously tend to have issues anyway.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
The pentagram, (5 pointed star going through straight line with a circle on the outside) also known as transmutation circle in FMA is often used for real life magic, demonology, etc.

The first anime makes it clear that the series takes place in an alternate reality in which the Christian church in Amestris failed because of hypocrisy, infighting, and other deviations. Amestris as a nation was so incredibly secular that no other religion stepped in to fill the void, and so science - and by extension, alchemy - rose to the fore without any sort of thoughts to the ethical implications of what was going on.

Scar's people are implied as having an indigenous religious system of their own, and a corrupt minister who uses alchemy to fake miracles is discovered running a church in a remote desert region. Otherwise, Amestris is almost totally secular now. Zheng, on the other hand, may practice a form of Buddhism or Shinto; at the least, it appears that their alchemy is based on a form of animism.

Long story short, FMA is pretty much a horror story warning about what can happen when the goal of scientific pursuit is allowed to outstrip any questions of morality or ethics.

Now we may see dragons in anime (DBZ) and in Japanese/Chinese religion and think of it as cool or whatever, but in the Bible, in Revelation specifically, the dragon is a symbol of Satan.

The Oriental concept of dragons is far, far different than the European concept.

You're failing to account for this, hence the confusion.

In the Orient, dragons tend to be fonts of wisdom and power... when they aren't causing mischief or getting plastered. This is why dragon designs and motifs appear just about everywhere.

Also, we see tons of rituals in anime and rituals aren't Christian.

Again, Christianity's not the dominant religion. Shinto and Buddhism are. Hence why so much of the latter two gets depicted instead of the former.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
As an aside, mangaka Yasuhiro Nightow is famous for being Christian.

He explores a number of religious issues in "Trigun", and in fact one of the lead characters is a traveling minister named Nicholas J. Wolfwood... whose massive cross hides an assortment of weapons.

As a child, Wolfwood was an orphan. The circumstances vary greatly between the original manga and the anime, but Wolfwood was eventually taken in by a minister known as Chapel the Evergreen. What no one realized, however, was that Chapel was actually in the employ of the series' main villain, Millions Knives; Chapel's orphanage was actually a front for a program meant to train assassins. Each assassin was given at least one "Cross Punisher" weapon, an over-sized cross that contained one or more hidden weapons, as part of it; the logic was that no one would question a minister with a large artifact like this.

Wolfwood's friendship with the other leads causes him to reject his mental conditioning and turn on Chapel, saving them from Knives' ambitions at the cost of his own life.

In the manga, Wolfwood's death motivates another one of the assassins, Livio, to turn on the organization as well; he takes Wolfwood's place as Vash's companion and spiritual guide through to the end of the series.

In the anime, meanwhile, Vash uses Wolfwood's second Cross Punisher weapon during his confrontation with Knives; Knives forgot about it, and so Vash used it at a key moment to prevent Knives from activating a super-weapon.

Upvote 0

Supremocombo

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Oriental concept of dragons is far, far different than the European concept.

You're failing to account for this, hence the confusion.

In the Orient, dragons tend to be fonts of wisdom and power... when they aren't causing mischief or getting plastered. This is why dragon designs and motifs appear just about everywhere.

Again, Christianity's not the dominant religion. Shinto and Buddhism are. Hence why so much of the latter two gets depicted instead of the former.

I'm not telling the anime makers to stop making anime, I'm telling Christians to be careful about what they watch. If you find no problem with Japan believing in Shintoism and Buddhism than I dare say you're not a Christian. A real christian would want to convert them. If Christianity's not the dominant religion then you should want to do something about it. Just because a culture is different does not mean that it is right.

1 John 4:5-8
They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

The Bible clearly states that we shouldn't believe or mess with religion. I say "religion" and not "other religions" because Christianity is not a religion. Religion is about man searching for God and earning your way. Christianity is God searching for man and God giving grace and salvation, for free. You don't have to earn anything. The Christian covenant is such: Our job is to obey God, and his part is to forgive us when we don't do our part.

Upvote 0