Should Christian's be listening to:

Should Christian's Be Allowed to Listen To..?

• Secular Music (Only)

• Sacred [Christian] Music (Only)

• Both.

• (Other).

Results are only viewable after voting.

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I've met Christian's who say that Christian music is really boring whilst others listen to it only in church. But I actually don't really have a taste for secular music and really enjoy Christian music (rebuke this if it seems self-righteous). In my opinion, I don't think Christians should be listening to secular music but I know there are other views on this.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Teegan

Daughter of the King
Jul 10, 2015
✟9,054.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Hannah,

I mostly listen to Christian music as well. It's uplifting and I find myself focussing on God more if I do. I find it comforting. Secular music can be okay sometimes I guess.
If you prefer Christian, there is nothing wrong with that.
Music speaks to your soul. :)

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I sort of have a philosophy based on 1 Corinthians 10:23 about how for Christians "all things are lawful, but not all things are profitable." I think whether something edifies or is a corrosive influence has to be evaluated individually and for the individual person. I actually find more inspiration, empowerment, and encouragement in many "secular" songs, and tend to listen to them the most in my art studio and at dance. My all-time favorite, most meaningful song is by Florence + the Machine, who is considered to be a secular artist since she isn't on a Christian label. There are some songs by Lana Del Rey that are obnoxious and crude to me, and others that are very beautiful and honest. Some Christian music is very endearing and beneficial for me, while others are cloying. I rarely rule out a musician entirely based on select songs.

Listen to what captivates you, and listen to your own response to the music. If you feel negative emotions from it, then avoid it from here on out; if it's something that touches your heart and is uplifting then keep listening even if it's not in the specific genre you prefer. :)

Upvote 0

DabriaShae

Let go and let love.
Jul 26, 2015
✟17,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I hear this question a lot! I had one college roommate who often complained about my lack of worship/Christian music playing when I was doing homework, cleaning the apartment, etc. However, I lean on the secular side of music because I believe music was not only created to praise our Lord but to express our hearts to Him. One of my recent finds is an artist named Gabrielle Aplin, she isn't a "Christian artist" but her music can be interpreted as speaking to God (I believe it was written in to Him as well). Now, the more sexual music- though I enjoy the beat and the way you can dance to it (I'm a dancer at heart)- I thing is something that really should be listen very little if at all. Christian music tends to be the same few chords in a different order... It gets old for me. I love singing updated hymns and worshipping until I literally hit the floor- don't get me wrong. But, I also like to sing my heart out about heartbreak and redemption as well.

In conclusion, I really see no reason to avoid secular music. But definitely have a Christian music influence. Try for King and Country or the Afters- they're great! :D

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

Troy Rambo

May the Force be with you
Aug 9, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
✟7,910.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this is a good question. With me, when I start listening to secular music, I feel like Im starting down that path away from the Lord. When I listen to Christian music, I feel Im with the Lord. I threw out all my secular music cds and replaced them with Christian cds only to show dedication to the Lord.

Now to expand on this topic, I have a similar dilemma with movies and video games. I try my hardest to watch PG-13 movies or below only. I may watch rated R as long as it doesnt have sexual content. I use discretion on R movies. Same goes for video games.

Reactions: Sayo
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Christian songs are not all necessarily good; and secular songs are not all necessarily bad. You must guide yourself by moral standards, and learn to ‘test everything’, to ‘hold fast what is good’ and to ‘abstain from every form of evil’ (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22).

There are many secular songs which have absolutely nothing morally incorrect in them. For example, most forms of classical music are not even sung, but only instrumental.

And there are many Christian songs which spread lies. For example, the worst example I have found (that I can remember now) is the modern worship song Chasing You. It is wrong in the fact that is depicts God as running away from us and us as chasing him — when, in fact, it is often just the other way round.

The problem with many secular songs is that they are often morally incorrect, encouraging stuff like leading an irresponsible life, premarital sex, drug use, violence and the utterance of swear words — all of which are things that Christians should avoid at all cost.

And the advantage of most Christian music is that it is often truthful and inspiring.

However, you must always test both, and you cannot label secular as bad and Christian as good. That is not how it works. You must test and see which songs are profitable and which ones are not. It is nonsensical and unbiblical to prohibit anyone from listening to any kind of secular music: the Bible never says ‘Thou shalt not listen to secular music’ or ‘Thou shalt only listen to Christian music’.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,008,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've met Christian's who say that Christian music is really boring whilst others listen to it only in church. But I actually don't really have a taste for secular music and really enjoy Christian music (rebuke this if it seems self-righteous). In my opinion, I don't think Christians should be listening to secular music but I know there are other views on this.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Well, Miss Hannah, there is zero need to rebuke you, for one, simply because you said you prefer Christian music over secular. It's not like you were so much as implying that you judge anyone who goes for secular music instead, so there's definitely no self-righteousness there. :)

I don't think secular music is immediately bad for any believer, though. I am sure they have a right to choose, within obvious reason and morality (I mean, as a believer you definitely wouldn't want to be listening to music that sounds all dark and creepy , chanting the name of Satan or something). Secular music can still easily have beautiful tones, uplifting lyrics and such that, while they may not actively include God's name, just might be a small guiding light in His direction. You never know. But certainly if you wish to listen to only obviously Christ-oriented music like church hymns or contemporary praise songs, then it's not going to hurt you at all.

Upvote 0

lilmatchgirl

How He loves us! ♥♥
Nov 10, 2015
United States
✟15,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Should Christians be "allowed" to listen to secular music? @Stanfordella brings up a good point about all things being lawful but not necessarily beneficial. My philosophy follows Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I try to use this a a guide for music, books, movies etc and you can use it for judging Christian" movies/books too :)

Upvote 0

폴라김

Jul 4, 2017
Cebu
Visit site
✟7,716.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I listen to Christian songs, because I find it pure and inspirational at the same time, it has a deep meaning and unlike some secular music it's just nonsense.. (just some tho) I think for me, just my opinion. It's okay if you want to listen to secular, but I would say that you should at least choose carefully what to listen. Because nowadays, music is mostly about (or promotes) sex, alcohol, drugs, smoke, cannibalism, same sex, foul words etc... and it's not good to listen to it right? There are secular songs that is not about those things, if that's what you're going to listen then I guess it's fine.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I listen to Christian songs, because I find it pure and inspirational at the same time, it has a deep meaning and unlike some secular music it's just nonsense.. (just some tho) I think for me, just my opinion. It's okay if you want to listen to secular, but I would say that you should at least choose carefully what to listen. Because nowadays, music is mostly about (or promotes) sex, alcohol, drugs, smoke, cannibalism, same sex, foul words etc... and it's not good to listen to it right? There are secular songs that is not about those things, if that's what you're going to listen then I guess it's fine.

Cannibalism? I've never heard a song about that, or heard about one that's about that. I definitely don't think that's the norm!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums