Should Christian Women Cover their hair?

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,031,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rocky hill is certainly a form of updated Amish. The sources on page 15 are contemporary if not identical. They seem to be Amish in all but the actual decisions on the use of technology (which are currently dividing Amish communities), the use of the German language and Bible, and in the fact that they are not yet powerful enough to obtain special dispensation from Australian laws, as the Amish here have. We intermingle freely here. The Amish have different dress than the regular people, and are easily identifiable. Laws in their home state of Pennsylvania have been greatly changed to allow for their free expression, including exemption from high school, marriage by cohabitation plus a joint lease or checking account, military exemption, etc. They do very good carpentry, seamstress, and food production work, and find a lot of employment locally this way. Here is a pretty accurate clothing catalog, which is what the thread is about. Welcome - The Amish Clothesline

I think it is more a matter of defining marriage properly. It seems to me that there is a cultural value that women are supposed to be dressing to keep men "interested", and of course such interest is not appropriate outside of marriage.

You probably have a few of these in Australia, but there are many here. Their standards are quite rigid. I have counseled parents whose children were removed from the youth programs because the girls showed up in jeans to go roller skating and bowling. Day 9: Apostolic Beliefs: Holiness Standards (For Dress) But their church here in town has almost 15% of the total worshipers in all the town's churches, and they mingle freely with no notice (unless you specifically know what to look for in the hairstyles).
My ancestors were traditional Church of the Brethren (very similar to traditional Mennonites), so they worked closely with the Amish. We got many of our Pennsylvania Dutch family recipes from that culture, and my Grandpa (he is a carpenter) worked closely with them. The foods and carpentry are some of the best around...and I always will be partial to Pennsylvania Dutch food :)

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My ancestors were traditional Church of the Brethren (very similar to traditional Mennonites), so they worked closely with the Amish. We got many of our Pennsylvania Dutch family recipes from that culture, and my Grandpa (he is a carpenter) worked closely with them. The foods and carpentry are some of the best around...and I always will be partial to Pennsylvania Dutch food :)
I miss liver pudding. Got it from Redners 10 years ago, but no more. I need to be careful for scrapple though, I never know if the cornmeal is whole or degermed. I love the "Amish Wedding" sugar free jams from Bylers. Can't eat shoo-fly pie, but it's worthy of note.

Not to leave out Paidiske, though: I go through a dozen or so jars of Vegemite a year. Maybe I'm the only American who likes it. I even know the jingle by heart from the 1950's.

Now back to the OP. Here is another American custom from the African American churches:

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,158,259.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You need to understand why Paul said what he did in 1 Cor 11 before you can look at what the equivalent would be today.

For Paul, head covering was "natural" (11:14). It wasn't something specific for church. Indeed in 11:11 he says that contrary to the natural situation, in Christ men and women are equally interdependent. He saw the covering as a sign of the woman's authority. As far as I can tell (and commentaries seem to agree), the covering is acknowledging the natural order, while at the same time within the Church acting in roles to which God called them.

Today, women don't normally wear hats outside of Church. We no longer see a "natural" difference in role in any sense that's relevant to functioning in the Church. (Note that debates are always about ordaining women to positions in church. Few people any longer debate whether they are capable of being leaders in secular positions.) Thus wearing a covering in church would not in our culture be acknowledging a "natural" difference, but would be a specific churchy act, implying a difference in Christ. Thus it would exactly reverse the meaning that Paul attached to it.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,031,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is the hat parade an Easter thing? Sometimes children here have Easter hat parades, but I've never been sure where that custom originated.
No, It's an anytime of year celebration. Either embedded in a service, or as a recognition dinner. "100 men in black; 100 women in hats". I think we had three of them in our town of 10,000 people last year.

Easter bonnet - Wikipedia New clothes make sense in spring (which is when Easter happens for us), since the flowers of the field renew their colors after a drab winter. In the 1800's, colored dresses were hard to manufacture as color dyes washed off in the rain. Colored hats used less dye, and so less of a risk. As the article says, in the depression, a hat was all they could afford.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,031,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I miss liver pudding. Got it from Redners 10 years ago, but no more. I need to be careful for scrapple though, I never know if the cornmeal is whole or degermed. I love the "Amish Wedding" sugar free jams from Bylers. Can't eat shoo-fly pie, but it's worthy of note.

Not to leave out Paidiske, though: I go through a dozen or so jars of Vegemite a year. Maybe I'm the only American who likes it. I even know the jingle by heart from the 1950's.

Now back to the OP. Here is another American custom from the African American churches:
One quick aside: Shoo fly pie is delicious...just had a piece today that we got at a family Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant. It is one of my favorites. My grandpa always said that "life is too short, so we should eat dessert first". What kind of dessert? "Warm shoo fly pie with vanilla ice cream oozing down the sides". :) Good memories...

Reactions: Ken Behrens
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In messianic circles, most women do not wear any kind of head covering unless reading from the Bible.

As to men wearing kippot, it is a mixed bag. Some even read from the Bible without one. And IMO that is a bad practice. We are supposed to make traditional Jews feel welcome and comfortable; and all conservative and orthodox synagogues require all men (including gentiles) to wear a kippah when ever in the building. IMO we should have the same rule.

Upvote 0