Should Christian Women Cover their hair?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,529.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isn't it in the NT that women should cover their hair?

And why don't we women do that today?

Was it to cover our hair during service or in daily life as well?

And what did it symbolize?
My belief is that there is one man, Christ, who is head of all. ALL symbolism that is applied to men's leading is to be read as parabels that relate Christ's care of the church. The reference to women are parables of what the church is to Christ. I'm sure there's not one person today who cannot understand what these parables mean. What isn't understood is that (imo) we will all be judged by the standard of our belief system. Most men can't see that they should be serving God equally to the amount they want their wives to serve them if they want to be counted among the bride of the bridegroom. Or they sure don't want to look at it that way ^_^

Anyway the head covering symbolizes just that. That the bride (the Body) is covered by the Head (Christ).

Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look at the whole passage I COr. 11:3-16. First it is not about women and men but about wives and husbands. Otherwise the rest of the passage makes no sense. Male Jews today cover their heads in prayer, and the Talmud (written well after Christ) says it is because heaven is around them - it is protection. Thus Paul says that the husband is to keep his head uncovered, so as not to dishonor his head (Christ); the meaning is that Christ now lives in us.

The wife is to cover her head to show that she is under her husband, and receives her understanding of the ministry of the family through him. As verse 16 says, this is the custom in all the churches.

The distinction is vital especially for this forum. The Bible nowhere speaks of a "woman prophesying" except here. Elsewhere she is a "prophetess". Paul continually makes this distinction between a woman who is in church accompanying her husband, and a woman who is in church exercising her ministry. It is the first that all of these passages about a woman not being able to have authority, having to cover her head, etc., is directed. The woman who attends church to exercise her ministry is the equal of the man doing the same, as is clear from the fact that she can exercise her ministry in the absence of her husband.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at the whole passage I COr. 11:3-16. First it is not about women and men but about wives and husbands. Otherwise the rest of the passage makes no sense. Male Jews today cover their heads in prayer, and the Talmud (written well after Christ) says it is because heaven is around them - it is protection. Thus Paul says that the husband is to keep his head uncovered, so as not to dishonor his head (Christ); the meaning is that Christ now lives in us.
IN the interest of keeping things gender-equal, perhaps we should FIRST look at men wearing hats or head coverings during a worship service. There has been a debate over this issue in the messianic circles for about a decade.

This has pretty much become the consensus:
Many Christians have problems with wearing "kippot" at worship based on Paul's teachings in (1st Corithians 11:4). But does Paul really teach that men should not wear anything at all on their heads? On the surface, 1Cor.11:4 and 7, in some English translations, seem to indicate that a man should be bareheaded: "Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying, dishonors his head" and "a man ought not to have his head covered" (NASB). If we use these verses to rule out even men's hats and Kippot , we have two problems.

First, this view does not harmonize with what the Bible says about the subject elsewhere. For example, the garments Yahweh commanded priests to wear included turbans for the head (Ex.28:40), and two times the High Priest was told "do not uncover your head" (Lev. 10:6; 21:10). In addition, we see King David and his men all praying with covered heads, and the Lord answering their prayer (2 Sam.15:30f; 17:14). 2

Secondly, the Greek katakalupto describes something that "hangs down over" the head, which does not sound at all like a kippah or man's hat. Paul is not condemning kippot or hats; he is saying that a man should not wear "a shawl hanging down over his head" (rs.4, Wuest trans.) like a woman. A male should not cover his head "in that manner," (rs.7, Wuest trans.), i.e., like a woman. Paul is simply reinforcing Deut. 22:5: "The woman shall not wear men's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing: for whoever does these things is an abomination to Yahweh your God." 3

Stern in his commentary writes;"Wearing something down over his head. This is the literal translation, and it is used here to show that Sha'ul is talking about wearing a veil, not a hat. The usual translation, "with his head covered," obscures this fact, and as a result an issue has arisen in Messianic Judaism that should never have come up at all, namely, whether it is proper for a Messianic Jewish man to wear a kippah ("skullcap" or, in Yiddish, yarmulke) in public worship. Of course it is proper, since objection to it is based only on a mis-translation of this verse."
Why We Wear Kippot

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IN the interest of keeping things gender-equal, perhaps we should FIRST look at men wearing hats or head coverings during a worship service. There has been a debate over this issue in the messianic circles for about a decade.

This has pretty much become the consensus:

Why We Wear Kippot
I had almost posted about this issue, but I deleted it, not feeling really informed enough to reach a conclusion.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As to why women don't do that today...

I think our culture has shifted, and what made sense in ancient Greek cities makes less sense in our current contexts.

Honestly, if I walk down the street with my head veiled, the public isn't going to read that as a statement of the relationship between Christ and the church, but is going to assume I am Muslim (or perhaps some other unusual faith), and so there is confusion.

I've worn hijab to visit a mosque but don't really want to be mistaken as Muslim in everyday life, so I avoid giving that impression.

(For what it's worth, when I did wear hijab, I really didn't mind it at all. In fact I could understand what Muslim women say about feeling liberated from the need to have our bodies "on display," and buy into consumerist messages about perfect hair etc. In a different context I would have no intrinsic objection to this kind of modesty as a more common way of life).

• Agree
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,033,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it in the NT that women should cover their hair?

And why don't we women do that today?

Was it to cover our hair during service or in daily life as well?

And what did it symbolize?
I'm probably one of the minority here. In services, I sometimes wear a head covering. Why? It is a way for me to express modesty, humility, and obedience - not to men, but to God. That is my choice. No one forces it on me, not all women in my church do that (about half do), and we don't consider it to be a sin if someone doesn't come to the same decision on headcoverings. Is it a good thing for me (and others that feel the same way) to wear head coverings? Sure. If it is a way we believe that we can honor God, even if it is not the same way others honor God, then we should be free to do it. Does it make me less than the men? Certainly not. (Honestly, it also is helpful as a tool to focus on God, not worry about how my hair looks, keep distractions out, etc.)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re: Should Christian Women Cover their hair?

Our goal is Jesus, not do's and don'ts. How does covering or not covering affect a person's relationship with Jesus? For many people it doesn't have anything to do with it. However, All4Christ has chosen to use the Biblical tradition as an expression of her heart. The substance of what she does has nothing to do with cloth. On the other hand, if a woman believes it is a sin to not cover her hair, then for her, not covering her hair would be a sin, because doing otherwise would express a rebellious heart.
It is a way for me to express modesty, humility, and obedience - not to men, but to God. That is my choice. No one forces it on me, not all women in my church do that (about half do), and we don't consider it to be a sin if someone doesn't come to the same decision on headcoverings. Is it a good thing for me (and others that feel the same way) to wear head coverings? Sure. If it is a way we believe that we can honor God, even if it is not the same way others honor God, then we should be free to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, if I walk down the street with my head veiled, the public isn't going to read that as a statement of the relationship between Christ and the church, but is going to assume I am Muslim (or perhaps some other unusual faith), and so there is confusion.
Catholic nuns have been forgotten?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Catholic nuns have been forgotten?

No, but their habits are distinctive, and I would not dress so as to be mistaken as a nun, either (I get enough of that already!)

Where I live women in hijab are a far more common sight in public than veiled nuns.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do like pretty decorative scarfs, and more so when I'm having a bad hair day.

why not?

I agree it does take the stress off of me to always have to look a certain way, and it takes less time to get dressed too

In services, I sometimes wear a head covering.

What way do you wear the head covering, as in what style of type of covering do you wear?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,033,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do like pretty decorative scarfs, and more so when I'm having a bad hair day.

why not?

I agree it does take the stress off of me to always have to look a certain way, and it takes less time to get dresses too

What way do you wear the head covering, as in what style of type of covering do you wear?
When I'm in the choir, having a head covering muffle my ears is a problem. Even loosely wrapped around my head can make it more difficult, so I normally wear it like a tiechel when singing. Otherwise, if I'm just praying / participating in the service as a part of the congregation, I like it to be loosely wrapped around my head, as it helps for focus then. These are a few examples of how I might wear them depending on my mood and what I am doing during the service.

IMG_0598.JPG
This is nice when in the congregation. It's easy to put on and can help with focusing on God rather than what is around me.

IMG_0596.JPG

I sometimes use my infinity scarves...pull it up for during the service and use it like a scarf before and after. It's loose enough to hear properly.

IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0597.JPG
This is more along the lines of what I do when I'm singing.

There are plenty of beautiful, complex ways to tie scarves elaborately, but I tend to skip those for church. Simple is best. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, but their habits are distinctive, and I would not dress so as to be mistaken as a nun, either (I get enough of that already!)

Where I live women in hijab are a far more common sight in public than veiled nuns.
Do you think it is a cultural necessity that if men and women are to be treated equally, we must dispense with the requirements of women being judged by how they dress ( I am referring not only to hair, but makeup, jewelry, etc.)?

Do you have anything there similar to the American denominations of Amish? Amish - Wikipedia BBC - Religions - Christianity: The Amish They are proof positive that such a culture can be designed, and work, although they also have restrictions on things other than clothing and dress, that maybe should not be copied?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it is a cultural necessity that if men and women are to be treated equally, we must dispense with the requirements of women being judged by how they dress ( I am referring not only to hair, but makeup, jewelry, etc.)?

I'm not sure. I certainly envy men the ease of their dress requirements and the relative lack of judgement about their appearance.

But how do you remove judgement on the basis of appearance? Is it a matter of raising children to value character instead?

Do you have anything there similar to the American denominations of Amish? Amish - Wikipedia BBC - Religions - Christianity: The Amish They are proof positive that such a culture can be designed, and work, although they also have restrictions on things other than clothing and dress, that maybe should not be copied?

I have heard of a couple of small rural communities of Anabaptists who are probably similar to the Amish? But I know very little about them. The only reason I know they exist is that it's possible to stay with the community in Tasmania on retreat, and someone I know has done that. (See link here: http://thecommonlife.com.au/c/ )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
s it a matter of raising children to value character instead?

Over here in America, there has been so much value and stress on appearance that the importance of character seems to be lost.

Look at the prevalence of eating disorders and plastic surgery

Last edited:
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I'm in the choir, having a head covering muffle my ears is a problem. Even loosely wrapped around my head can make it more difficult, so I normally wear it like a tiechel when singing. Otherwise, if I'm just praying / participating in the service as a part of the congregation, I like it to be loosely wrapped around my head, as it helps for focus then. These are a few examples of how I might wear them depending on my mood and what I am doing during the service.

View attachment 190219
This is nice when in the congregation. It's easy to put on and can help with focusing on God rather than what is around me.

View attachment 190220
I sometimes use my infinity scarves...pull it up for during the service and use it like a scarf before and after. It's loose enough to hear properly.

View attachment 190221 View attachment 190222
This is more along the lines of what I do when I'm singing.

There are plenty of beautiful, complex ways to tie scarves elaborately, but I tend to skip those for church. Simple is best. :)
Thanks, for posting these. there are very nice ideas for wearing scarves.

I've worn the top one myself at church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure. I certainly envy men the ease of their dress requirements and the relative lack of judgement about their appearance.

But how do you remove judgement on the basis of appearance? Is it a matter of raising children to value character instead?

I have heard of a couple of small rural communities of Anabaptists who are probably similar to the Amish? But I know very little about them. The only reason I know they exist is that it's possible to stay with the community in Tasmania on retreat, and someone I know has done that. (See link here: http://thecommonlife.com.au/c/ )
Rocky hill is certainly a form of updated Amish. The sources on page 15 are contemporary if not identical. They seem to be Amish in all but the actual decisions on the use of technology (which are currently dividing Amish communities), the use of the German language and Bible, and in the fact that they are not yet powerful enough to obtain special dispensation from Australian laws, as the Amish here have. We intermingle freely here. The Amish have different dress than the regular people, and are easily identifiable. Laws in their home state of Pennsylvania have been greatly changed to allow for their free expression, including exemption from high school, marriage by cohabitation plus a joint lease or checking account, military exemption, etc. They do very good carpentry, seamstress, and food production work, and find a lot of employment locally this way. Here is a pretty accurate clothing catalog, which is what the thread is about. Welcome - The Amish Clothesline

I think it is more a matter of defining marriage properly. It seems to me that there is a cultural value that women are supposed to be dressing to keep men "interested", and of course such interest is not appropriate outside of marriage.

You probably have a few of these in Australia, but there are many here. Their standards are quite rigid. I have counseled parents whose children were removed from the youth programs because the girls showed up in jeans to go roller skating and bowling. Day 9: Apostolic Beliefs: Holiness Standards (For Dress) But their church here in town has almost 15% of the total worshipers in all the town's churches, and they mingle freely with no notice (unless you specifically know what to look for in the hairstyles).

Upvote 0