Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been serious discussions with people on all sides of the issue and considerable agreement that the vast majority are opposed to "open serason" abortions. As one pro-choice person put it, they want abortions to be "safe, legal and rare".

I have been told by a person in the room that an argeement was being hammered out that would only permit abortions for the life or health of the mother and in cases of rape and incest. Not all pro-lifers were happy with this, but all agreed it was better than the current situation - it would stop the killing of the majority of unborn babies - at least 90%.

And into the room barged an uninvited, self-appointed pro-life gad-about who insisted that it had to be all or nothing - all abortions illegal, or none!!! He was strident and offensive and he got his way. None.

IMHO the pro-life movement has put so much energy into trying to force raped 14 year old girls and women fearful for the lives of their born children if they would die, to carry babies to term, the opportunity to eliminate abortion for convenience has slipped through their fingers. These lives were lost by the "all or nothing" attitude of a few, predominatly male, zealots.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just hope no woman who has had an ectopic pregnancy wanders into this thread. Or a woman who has had to abort an incomplete miscarriage or has been in an accident while pregnant and had to abort the child

None of us, not one of us, has the right to decide. It is between the doctor and the patient and not between me or you and the doctor and the patient. We are not experts. There are OBGYNs for a reason.

Agreed.

This is a very grey area. Each case is different. I pray I never have to go through what some parents must in these situations.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I find it funny, how we often have prior notions to how we would deal with a situation when it happens, yet when it actually arises, our reaction is quite opposing to what we said it would be.

I do not know what I would do if I were to face a scenario where it'd be a matter of choosing my life or the life of my child.

I can only pray that I (and others), would seek godly counsel and not make hasty or rash decisions.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
What does not bother me is the fact that you mentioned that you cannot visualize a situation in which I would sacrafice my life for my unborn child because there are women posting here that said they would.

Another reason it does not bother me is that a woman is 20% more likely than a male like myself to believe that abortion should be prohibited under any circumstances.

Pro-choicers always try to "spin" and point the finger back at the pro-lifers because they cannot win the moral and ethical arguments self-evident in the abortion issue.

A parent, whether a mother or father, should sacrafice their lives for their children if it is necessary. Abortion is murder.

Jesus chose to die for us, His children.
None of us are Jesus.

Jesus's purpose was to come here and to die on that cross, ours is not.

I am prolife for myself but am prochoice for others.
If I were in danger though I have kids that need a mother to raise them. Their father needs a wife to help raise his children (I for sure hope he isnt going to run out and marry some one as soon as I die!! :eek:) So I would put my life ahead of the baby not for me but for my family. For my children and for my husband.

If I were raped I would keep the baby however if it were a young child I would not expect her to keep the baby if she did not want to. Heck I wouldnt even expect another adult too if it was going to bother them. Each person deals with things differently.
If its going to have the person end up committing suicide out of desperation then Id rather see them get an abortion then end two lives.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am prolife for myself but am prochoice for others.
If I were in danger though I have kids that need a mother to raise them. Their father needs a wife to help raise his children (I for sure hope he isnt going to run out and marry some one as soon as I die!! :eek:) So I would put my life ahead of the baby not for me but for my family. For my children and for my husband.
Now, that is a very practical and realistic answer if I ever did see one! :D

Upvote 0

LoveAlways

Apr 11, 2007
✟15,794.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I won't die for a pregnancy, and I won't be guilted into thinking it's my duty for Jesus, either. I'm a daughter, a sister, and a wife, and those people love me and need me, and I can't take myself out of the equation because I've decided that an unborn child that might just die right along with me is more important.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.