Shocker: 72% of Catholics Don’t Go to Sunday Mass?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. ... Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.’ (CCC 2181)

I just read a jarring statistic that 72% of self-identified Catholics in the United States do not attend Mass every week.

That fact was reported in an April 12 “short read” from the Pew Research Center, “9 Facts About U.S. Catholics.” The article, based on data originally reported in 2018, summarizes other facts disclosed in the PEW Center’s National Public Opinion Reference Surveys (NPORS) and through the Center’s American Trends Panel regarding Catholics’ racial and ethnic distribution, educational background and support for Pope Francis.

But back to that shocking finding: Only 28% of Catholics attend Mass at least weekly, even though the Catholic Church clearly teaches that missing Sunday Mass (except for a good reason, such as illness or inability to get to a nearby parish) is a mortal sin.

To my way of thinking, the logic is straightforward:

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
‘The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. ... Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.’ (CCC 2181)

I just read a jarring statistic that 72% of self-identified Catholics in the United States do not attend Mass every week.

That fact was reported in an April 12 “short read” from the Pew Research Center, “9 Facts About U.S. Catholics.” The article, based on data originally reported in 2018, summarizes other facts disclosed in the PEW Center’s National Public Opinion Reference Surveys (NPORS) and through the Center’s American Trends Panel regarding Catholics’ racial and ethnic distribution, educational background and support for Pope Francis.

But back to that shocking finding: Only 28% of Catholics attend Mass at least weekly, even though the Catholic Church clearly teaches that missing Sunday Mass (except for a good reason, such as illness or inability to get to a nearby parish) is a mortal sin.

To my way of thinking, the logic is straightforward:

Continued below.
I am trying to go more often. Went yesterday, and the service was good.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am trying to go more often. Went yesterday, and the service was good.
Make it a weekly thing at minimum. Go once in a while at least on a weekday too. If your parish has adoration, do that too. If your parish doesn't have adoration, find one that does.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Make it a weekly thing at minimum. Go once in a while at least on a weekday too. If your parish has adoration, do that too. If your parish doesn't have adoration, find one that does.
Weekdays, I have other plans. I have ADHD, so adoration or rosaries do not sit well with me.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Weekdays, I have other plans. I have ADHD, so adoration or rosaries do not sit well with me.
If we are blessed to partake of the beatific vision some day there will be lots of adoration. I’m just trying to get into practice. It is a learned skill that took me a bunch of months to get into. Definitely not an instant thing.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we are blessed to partake of the beatific vision some day there will be lots of adoration. I’m just trying to get into practice. It is a learned skill that took me a bunch of months to get into. Definitely not an instant thing.
Yeah. I prefer active faith, such as donating to help the poor, or volunteering over sitting in a pew for hours. But yes, heaven will be adoration, and we will see the face of Jesus.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah. I prefer active faith, such as donating to help the poor, or volunteering over sitting in a pew for hours. But yes, heaven will be adoration, and we will see the face of Jesus.
Both are needed. The story of Mary and Martha is illustrative here. One prepared the food and the other sat and listened to Jesus. Preparing the food was essential, but who chose the better thing?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both are needed. The story of Mary and Martha is illustrative here. One prepared the food and the other sat and listened to Jesus. Preparing the food was essential, but who chose the better thing?
Mary did the better thing, by listening to Jesus. Seems like a Bible analysis is in order. I'll get it ready by tomorrow. :)

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
— Luke 10:38–42 (NIV)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it would be interesting and helpful if you started a thread of how you learned to become an adoration devotee. A lot of us struggle with it.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think it would be interesting and helpful if you started a thread of how you learned to become an adoration devotee. A lot of us struggle with it.
I might scare more people off than I attract.

When my old parish started it up years ago my wife signed up and I signed up. We did so not knowing the other one had done so. So we were off to the races.

I always had the temptation not to go to my appointed hour. I was tired, or feeling sick, or just not wanting to go. But I went. And was usually the best hour of my week. Funny that.

But I got sleepy. Sometimes I found myself nodding off and waking up with a jerk. Then doing it all over again.

I have never considered myself a power prayer. Actually I'm pretty wimpy at it. I daydream too easily. I can manage a few seconds of concentrated prayer. Then it slips away. BUT the old Jesuits had a scheme for that, imagining yourself in a Biblical scene. It helped for me.

The chapel, being open 24/7, was always available and lots of people just dropped in for a few minutes here and there. I realized I could do it too.

I was co-leading a confirmation class one year, and we had the class drop in one time. Only a few minutes though. Some were into it. Some really were not. But they all knew that it was there for them.

When Covid hit, we suspended adoration out of an abundance of misplaced caution. And it left a huge hole in my life. That and that they shut down public masses. I moved in there, staring out in a new parish. They had perpetual adoration but have only managed three days, now expanded to four days.

Every Catholic should try it. YMMV of course. But it does make for some lively parishes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
While 28% is low, it is much better than the percentage in many of the European countries, where it is even less than 10% in some nations.
True. In France it’s less than 8%.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While 28% is low, it is much better than the percentage in many of the European countries, where it is even less than 10% in some nations.
Heathens...

Just kidding. :) I love my European brothers and sisters.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0