Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to learn how to sew. I would like to learn some embroidery and needlework. I heard medieval and Victorian ladies did a lot of embroidery. I have some sewing books from my mom. I have a book on needlework and needlecrafts. They have instruction for embroidery stitches. So far I am not doing so good. But I think I just need to practice. With every talent or skill, you need to practice to get better at it. That includes drawing, music, sports, etc.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to learn how to sew. I would like to learn some embroidery and needlework. I heard medieval and Victorian ladies did a lot of embroidery. I have some sewing books from my mom. I have a book on needlework and needlecrafts. They have instruction for embroidery stitches. So far I am not doing so good. But I think I just need to practice. With every talent or skill, you need to practice to get better at it. That includes drawing, music, sports, etc.

I don't have much interest in being like a Victorian lady, but I do wish I had some sewing skills. I watched a video and tried sewing a button on my sport jacket, and it seemed to work, but a couple days later it popped off and flew across the floor as I was in mid-sentence. It was pretty funny, but I would like to be confident that if I sew a button on, it will remain secure. I also tend to wear clothes until they're threadbare and have to ask my sister to sew things together. It would be nice if I knew how. Apparently, just watching videos is not going to work for me.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟210,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What seams to be the problem with the embroidery, specifically? Are you using embroidery floss or yarn with the proper needle size for the stitch you're trying to do?

Sewing can be complicated for beginners. I would recommend looking into a sewing class in your area. Many sewing stores offer classes - look for a class on hand embroidery or hand applique. That will save you a lot of painful trial and error.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟210,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It was pretty funny, but I would like to be confident that if I sew a button on, it will remain secure. I also tend to wear clothes until they're threadbare and have to ask my sister to sew things together. It would be nice if I knew how.

For the buttons, there are two items of importance: making sure you have a thread that is strong enough to hold the button on, otherwise it will sag. I frequently use embroidery floss or quilting thread to ensure security. For thread, making multiple passes through the button in an X motion is important. If the button is subject to a lot of strain as you move around, make a little bit of slack in the thread holding the button - it doesn't have to be super tight.

The second is making sure you knot the thread on both ends. Cut a thread that is the length of your forearm and pass it through the needle so the thread is even and make a knot with both of the threads. Knot multiple times - about 3 or 4. This will make it so that you are sewing with a double thread, but it is worth it for security. When you are done sewing the buttonhole, pass the needle under your last stitch, then pass the needle through the loop that makes, then pass the needle back around through the loop again and pull it tight to form a knot. When the knot is formed, cut the thread, and then you can remove the remaining thread from the needle.

Threadbare clothes should be thrown out, but if you just need a seam, I recommend learning a backstitch. Using the double thread I mentioned, pierce with the needle and pull the thread tight against the stopper knot. Move the needle about a half a millimeter on the side the thread emerges from and pierce through, pull tight so the thread is flush with the fabric, and then pierce back in next to the stopper knot, pull that tight. Move the needle a half a millimeter past the first stitch, pass through, pull tight, then move the needle back to next to the front edge of the previous stitch, pass through, pull tight. If you're confused, get a video specifically on back stitches.

I recommend this stitch because every stitch is a knot of sorts. So if you tie a knot wrong at the end of your seam or one that isn't perfect, your stitches will remain secure. A standard running stitch is only as good as its knots and you'll be mending constantly. A backstitch will last for years - I use them for handbag seams and they never come out. Tough as nails.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For the buttons, there are two items of importance: making sure you have a thread that is strong enough to hold the button on, otherwise it will sag. I frequently use embroidery floss or quilting thread to ensure security. For thread, making multiple passes through the button in an X motion is important. If the button is subject to a lot of strain as you move around, make a little bit of slack in the thread holding the button - it doesn't have to be super tight.

The second is making sure you knot the thread on both ends. Cut a thread that is the length of your forearm and pass it through the needle so the thread is even and make a knot with both of the threads. Knot multiple times - about 3 or 4. This will make it so that you are sewing with a double thread, but it is worth it for security. When you are done sewing the buttonhole, pass the needle under your last stitch, then pass the needle through the loop that makes, then pass the needle back around through the loop again and pull it tight to form a knot. When the knot is formed, cut the thread, and then you can remove the remaining thread from the needle.

Threadbare clothes should be thrown out, but if you just need a seam, I recommend learning a backstitch. Using the double thread I mentioned, pierce with the needle and pull the thread tight against the stopper knot. Move the needle about a half a millimeter on the side the thread emerges from and pierce through, pull tight so the thread is flush with the fabric, and then pierce back in next to the stopper knot, pull that tight. Move the needle a half a millimeter past the first stitch, pass through, pull tight, then move the needle back to next to the front edge of the previous stitch, pass through, pull tight. If you're confused, get a video specifically on back stitches.

I recommend this stitch because every stitch is a knot of sorts. So if you tie a knot wrong at the end of your seam or one that isn't perfect, your stitches will remain secure. A standard running stitch is only as good as its knots and you'll be mending constantly. A backstitch will last for years - I use them for handbag seams and they never come out. Tough as nails.

Thanks! I bet what let me down was the knots, as you say.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! I bet what let me down was the knots, as you say.
They actually make button and carpet thread, which is thicker and stronger. @linux.poet is right about not sewing coat buttons too tightly. One recommendation is to put a toothpick between the button and the fabric (if this is a button with holes rather than a shank), then after going through the holes several times, remove the toothpick and wrap the thread around the slack stitches to make a little stem.

One book I found useful is "Joyful Mending" by Noriko Misumi. All my socks are darned now.

Sewing is a really useful skill and it does take practice to get good at it. I'm going to try smocking next.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Checkout Craftsy for sewing classes. The Halloween deal is still available. They have embroidery classes too. If you want to delve into needlework Needle N’ Thread is a great resource. Have fun!

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟45,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks I'm busy with drawing and painting. I will make time for sewing somehow. I want to learn to make gifts for loved ones. I'd like to make greeting cards for relatives. Maybe could embroider pillow cases, handkerchiefs, wallet, purses etc. wall hangings.

Upvote 0

HopeinHim98

Jan 20, 2023
Midwest
✟19,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I LOVE to sew! I make a lot of my clothes and have done a good bit of sewing for others. Mostly by machine, electric and treadle. Sadly haven't done a lot of handwork like the OP was talking about. But to anyone starting out, this is my advice. Don't be afraid to step out and try! And don't always wait till the perfect time to jump in; sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and do it. There are many good youtube tutorials for easy sewing projects too to get you started.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I started doing embroidery at age 10. I LOVED it! French knots took the most practice. But instruction books were helpful. I taught myself so many stitches. I used six strand embroidery floss at first, then separated that into three strands. In my 20s I started doing crewel embroidery with wool yarn. As soon as counted cross stitch was available in America, I got hooked on that.

If you pull the yarn too tight doing crewel you get unsightly gathers in the fabric. Moths in our area will eat the wool yarn.

Easy counted cross stitch:
Always make the top threads go in same direction (such as upper left to lower right).

I recommend a small design like this turtle for beginners. A design without the outline

stitches is less time consuming. Ask for help at Michaels or wherever you shop.

Take a look at this:

Last edited:
Upvote 0