Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
Standing right behind you! ;)
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This part of the forum seems really slow, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has a child with Sensory Processing Disorder and /or Developmental Coordination Disorder...I have a three year old with both and it would be nice to have someone to talk to with a child that is going through the same things...

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I did not see your question sooner. I stopped following this thread when no one responded.

As far as SPD symptoms they vary greatly from child to child so it would not do you justice for me to list just my son's problems. It would not be all inclusive. Therefore, I am going to post a link to a website that would have a much more comprehensive listing of what to look for...

Sensory Processing Disorder

HTH!

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
My almost 5 yr old has ADHD and some secondary sensory issues. He has gotten easier to manage as he has gotten older (although he still has his moments) and since he has begun medicaton for the ADHD. That was a difficult decision to make, but he was screened by a licensed Child Psychologist and is medicated under the care of a Pediatric Neurologist.

Lights, sounds, and textures seem to irritate my son the most. What types of sensory issues are you having to address?

I'm not familiar with Development Coordination Disorder. Is that the new terminology for being Developmentally Delayed or is it something different?

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My almost 5 yr old has ADHD and some secondary sensory issues. He has gotten easier to manage as he has gotten older (although he still has his moments) and since he has begun medicaton for the ADHD. That was a difficult decision to make, but he was screened by a licensed Child Psychologist and is medicated under the care of a Pediatric Neurologist.

Lights, sounds, and textures seem to irritate my son the most. What types of sensory issues are you having to address?

I'm not familiar with Development Coordination Disorder. Is that the new terminology for being Developmentally Delayed or is it something different?

Hi flnativegrl! I am sorry I didn't see your post sooner. SPD does often present as a secondary issue - so far with my son it hasn't but time will tell. That had to be really difficult to decide to use meds, but I know they can be really helpful.

All types of things bother my son. Touch is a biggie- he hates to be touched (hard on a mom who wants to hug), light, smell, his sense of balance and movement, it goes on.

Developmental Coordination Disorder is basically Dyspraxia from my understanding. He is delayed in gross and fine motor skills in many areas...He has a really hard time with playground equipment and falls off easily, cannot pedal a tricycle (he's three), can barely catch a ball, cannot jump with both feet...the list goes on......

Thanks for sharing about your son! It does make me feel a little less alone! :hug:

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It is always helpful to know that we're not alone. :) My son is interesting when it comes to his motor skills. He is strong and fast, but extremely clumsy. My sister jokes that there is a magnet in my son's head that attracts doors and walls. He is constantly knocking his head on things. He's tough, though, so he doesn't always cry when it happens. I guess that's something to be grateful for - poor little dude.

Is your son receiving therapy? I would assume he would qualify for Physical and Occupational Therapy.

I tried to get OT for my son, but they said he didn't qualify. So, I'm having to address his sensory issues with his behavioral therapist instead.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
shaslove - I would highly recommend doing some research into Sensory Diets and discussing it with your therapist once you get started with therapy. It's a bunch of information on how to deal with different aspects of SPD and how to integrate activities into your day to day life that help your child in the areas that they struggle. :)

Here is a link to a site I have referred to for my son - Sensory Diet Activities - SensorySmarts

I'm saying a prayer for you (and Blondie!). :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

badgerfan55

May 20, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is pretty common for autism and sensory processing disorder to be linked.

While Autism and SPD are two different and distinct conditions, children on the autism spectrum do have a significantly higher rate of sensory processing delays. One study completed by occupational therapists showed that 84% of children with autism spectrum disorders had scores that indicated significant sensory processing delays as compared to only 3% for a group of typically developing children that were not demonstrating any signs of autism spectrum disorders.
Reference: sensoryprocessingmadesimple.com - Are Autism And Sensory Processing Disorder (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) the same thing?

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟15,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My oldest son has SPD. He's 10 now. It was most severe when he was very young. I started seeing signs when he was 2. He would cry over his clothes and socks. He thought they all felt awful. Food textures and smells have always been difficult. My son is sensory seeking so he was always doing crazy daredevil stuff. Today, his sensory issues are not as bad. Eating is still a big deal. It's hard to find food that he will eat. His sensory seeking has been transformed into skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing. He also loves swimming and biking. Changing out seasonal clothes is still difficult. He's still wearing short sleeves in the middle of winter. We explored OT, but they really weren't able to recommend much. I think my son was a little too old by the time he was dx'd with SPD.

My son was also dx'd with PDD-NOS at the same time that he was dx'd with SPD.

Upvote 0

nature74

Nov 11, 2014
✟8,034.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My son, 10 years old, was diagnosed mid last year with Aspergers with co-morbid anxiety and ADHD. He also has sensory issues and we go to an Occupational Therapist once a week for Sensory. We tried only every two weeks but found that he could not cope. So we are back to weekly sessions.

Upvote 0