Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My son deals with SID but because of the AS and possible Tourettes, we don't pay that much attention to it although The Out of Sync Child was very helpful.

However, my three year old daughter will be starting the evaluation process for this soon and as far as we know this is really only her real emotional issue. She has the allergies but those are becoming alot more manageable as she gets older.

So for those dealing with SID, any stories, thoughts or anything of that nature?

sreno7

Nov 11, 2005
Vancouver Island
✟8,708.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I have heard great things about that book. There was a job posting here in town and you had to have read that book before going to the interview. I have also read a book about "challenging children" which adresses some similar issues that I found helpful. My sister was annoying growing up as she would only wear certain clothes and we couldn't have peanut butter on the table cause she could smell it!

Upvote 0

kayd1966

Don't just listen to the Word...Do what it says.
Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My son had/has some issues but they seem to vary. We do not have clothes issues and he's getting better with eating. He used to hate stuff on his face and hands but is coping a bit better now.

What kind of specific stuff are you dealing with?

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When my youngest child was very little he had major sensory problems. One of the things we did was go to e-bay and do a search on sensory then select education toys. There are just some wonderful toys that come up that you aren't able to find anywhere else. I bought some really great stuff that went along way to helping him overcome some of his sensory problems.

Upvote 0

sreno7

Nov 11, 2005
Vancouver Island
✟8,708.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I ran a play group at our local child development center and we did lots of sensory play. We would have a table that one week we would fill with water, another dried peas and another sand or rice. One week we had the kids fingerpaint on the windows with shaving cream, that was interesting to watch, one little girl would run to wash her hands every time she touched it. We would scent the playdough with essential oils and have lots of different wieghts of paper to rip up and make collages with.

Upvote 0

Primrose

Innocent Bystander
Nov 13, 2004
GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We did the stuff sreno7 mentioned. I also have a brush that we got from the rehab center. We stroke it over his skin, but avoid the tummy as it can cause nausea. We also had Atticus doing pool therapy. Boy that was tough for a good while. Now he's a little fish in the water.

Upvote 0