Dec 24, 2005
✟450,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyone else here over 65 (and don't mind sharing it :D)? Do you have any comments or thoughts on being an older Golden Eagle, being retired or anything else?

I have a thought, something I'm wrestling with abit ...
Lord willing, I will be 70 this year. But 70 sounds soooo old!!!
( :eek:)

I don't 'feel like' a 70-year-old person ... I don't even know how to be a 70-year-old person! lol
(I actually subscribed to AARP magazine to hope to better understand this phase of life I find myself suddenly in!
Been watching informative senior videos on YouTube, too.)

For years, my late husband (10 years older than me) was very sickly. His sickness did make him look older.
(A couple times when we were out together, he was actually asked if I was his daughter?!?! For real!)

:blush:

But now that he is gone (last year), it is like I suddenly realize that I, too, am old. :oops:
(And it must be true (???) that I am (lol!), because I notice now ...
how others treat me (nicely) like an old person in restaurants, stores, etc.)
:doh:

Anyone else feel this way ... wrestled with these kinds of thoughts ... as they approached 70?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a thought, something I'm wrestling with abit ...
Lord willing, I will be 70 this year. But 70 sounds soooo old!!!
( :eek:)

I don't 'feel like' a 70-year-old person ... I don't even know how to be a 70-year-old person! lol
(I actually subscribed to AARP magazine to hope to better understand this phase of life I find myself suddenly in!
Been watching informative senior videos on YouTube, too.)

I've always heard that age is a state of mind. ;) And I guess that's true. We all approach it in our own way, both mentally and physically. I'm a few years from 70 yet, but I remember being excited about turning 65. It's one of the milestones I suppose. But I didn't feel any different! I don't feel like an 'oldie'. My body does sometimes, but not my heart and soul. Getting older is different for everyone. Some hate the thought and try to stay young, others embrace it. I like to think I've embraced it. :)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟450,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've always heard that age is a state of mind. ;) And I guess that's true. We all approach it in our own way, both mentally and physically. I'm a few years from 70 yet, but I remember being excited about turning 65. It's one of the milestones I suppose. But I didn't feel any different! I don't feel like an 'oldie'. My body does sometimes, but not my heart and soul. Getting older is different for everyone. Some hate the thought and try to stay young, others embrace it. I like to think I've embraced it. :)

:cool: ... I think embracing it is the way to go!

That's what I want to do ... once I get it figured out!
:oldthumbsup:

I think what's thrown me for a loop is that till recently I was a caregiver, and I watched two elderly loved ones (ages 96 and 78) die while caring for them. While they were around, I was kept very busy. I really didn't think much about things like my age, etc. I was very busy. And I realize now that I felt pretty young while being around them because I was noticeably younger and healthier than them. But since they've departed, somehow my identity has changed. It's like I suddenly aged, but apparently I was aging all the time and just didn't notice it! (Except that the physical aspects of caregiving were becoming more difficult for me.)

... maybe one key to aging well is to keep busy?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
:cool: ... I think embracing it is the way to go!

That's what I want to do ... once I get it figured out!
:oldthumbsup:

I think what's thrown me for a loop is that till recently I was a caregiver, and I watched two elderly loved ones (ages 96 and 78) die while caring for them. While they were around, I was kept very busy. I really didn't think much about things like my age, etc. I was very busy. And I realize now that I felt pretty young while being around them because I was noticeably younger and healthier than them. But since they've departed, somehow my identity has changed. It's like I suddenly aged, but apparently I was aging all the time and just didn't notice it! (Except that the physical aspects of caregiving were becoming more difficult for me.)

... maybe one key to aging well is to keep busy?

We're all going to get old(er). o_O I think it's much easier to accept that if we keep doing what we've been doing that's gotten us this far!

I fully understand about being a caregiver. My mother is 94. She's still on her own, lives in her own house, does daily activities, but I physically check on her twice a day and help with what she can't get done. My dad died at 81 of Lewy Body dementia. We both cared for him for a number of years. It does keep a person busy, but I think it also is a blessing to us. Things like that show us the strength of the human spirit. Yes, we're getting older. Yes, we'll run into problems along the way. But aging, while bringing along with it physical and often mental problems, is a gift from God. If we live our lives right, and to the fullest we're able, we're doing well.

Maybe not realizing you were aging was a gift, too!

Upvote 0