Scientist's April Fool Jokes on gullible public.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Given this time of year scientists have been known to engage in April Fool jokes.
Here are a selection.

(1) Zoologists discover a colony of flying penguins.

(2) Pi = Atheist propganda.
A newspaper article circulated on the Internet in April 1998, claiming that Alabama's state legislature had decided to round down the value of pi from 3.1415... to 3 in order to bring it more in line with the Bible.
Snopes shows otherwise.
Alabama's Slice of Pi

(3) Discovering the Bigon.
In 1996, Discover Magazine reported on the discovery of a new fundamental particle of matter. On any other day, this would be a momentous discovery, but this was April 1. The fundamental particle was called “the Bigon” and it’s the size of a bowling ball, although it only exists for just millionths of a second.

(4) CERN finds evidence for the force.
In 2015, CERN took a brief break from unraveling the fabric of the universe to lay out a grand April Fools’ prank. They issued a press release announcing the “first unequivocal evidence for the Force.”

Details of the Force were hazy, but it could reportedly be used for “long-distance communication, influencing minds, and lifting heavy things out of swamps.” The breakthrough came from a seminal paper by Ben Kenobi of the prestigious University of Mos Eisley in Tatooine. A small green spokesperson for the laboratory also noted: “Very impressive, this result is.”

(5) Google heads for Mars.
There are too many April fools’ pranks by Google to mention. Some of its best have included announcing a new Internet search app for your pets to use "at the press of a paw" and a new form of Chromecast for squirrels.

One of its sneakiest pranks though was the plan to expand their Google Cloud service to Mars in anticipation of “the exploration and ultimate colonization of the Red Planet.” You could even walk around the new Martian data center on Google Street View.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,002,098.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey, now. In my part of the world, we still have a few hours to go.

From my point of view the US is always behind the times :rolleyes:

Your tomorrow is my today
Your today is my yesterday - OB

OB

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
April fools jokes from the past in the Uk.

The guardian news paper did a full page spread about the floating island, San Serif,, complete with adverts from high street companies, tour operators etc

The BBC did a news report on the harvest of 'spaghetti' in Italy.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...(3) Discovering the Bigon.
In 1996, Discover Magazine reported on the discovery of a new fundamental particle of matter. On any other day, this would be a momentous discovery, but this was April 1. The fundamental particle was called “the Bigon” and it’s the size of a bowling ball, although it only exists for just millionths of a second.....
Scientists also tout the discovery of particles so small you cant see them!

Yeah right. What kind of idiot do they think I am?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟563,397.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know how many people are from the U.K. here, but who remembers the two April fools day prank documentaries by tomorrow world? in the days of Raymond Briggs.Must be at least 40 years ago.

-The first was a documentary on spaghetti trees.
- The following year they provided film footage of rock worms on Mars ( nobody explained who took the photos, back in the 60s/ early 70s! )

Trouble was everyone believed the documentaries , so they took a decision not to repeat the joke the following year. I doubt if the BBC has the credibility to pull it off now.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know how many people are from the U.K. here, but who remembers the two April fools day prank documentaries by tomorrow world? in the days of Raymond Briggs.Must be at least 40 years ago.

-The first was a documentary on spaghetti trees.
1957, Richard Dimbleby on Panorama

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟563,397.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1957, Richard Dimbleby on Panorama
Agree, now I google it, but I saw that in my lifetime too( I was a baby then!)
So I think it must have been repeated some 10 years later.
I can find no reference to the spoof about mars, I think that was raymond baxter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums